FA charges Kinnear over outburst

Fop

FA charges Kinnear over outburst

_45275328_kinnear_226getty.jpg

Referee Mike Riley sends Kinnear to the stands

The Football Association has charged Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear after his outburst towards referee Mike Riley during their 2-2 draw against Stoke.

Kinnear, 61, has been charged with using abusive and insulting words towards a match official.

He was sent to the stands by Riley on Saturday after disputing a free-kick awarded in the build-up to Abdoulaye Faye's injury-time equaliser.

It is Kinnear's second FA charge since taking over at the club in September.

He is already facing a charge of improper conduct for branding official Martin Atkinson "a Mickey Mouse referee" after a 2-1 defeat at Fulham on 9 November.

606: DEBATE

Was Kinnear responsible for the draw with Stoke or was he a victim of circumstance?

TOON4EVER

Kinnear has until Friday to respond to the first charge and Tuesday 23 December to respond to the latest.

Newcastle coach Chris Hughton defended Kinnear on Saturday, blaming the "emotional" nature of football for the manager's dismissal.

"We were very unhappy with the decision that led up to the goal," said Hughton. "I think it was for perceived comments, but from where I was, I certainly didn't hear anything."

Kinnear has been no stranger to controversy since arriving at St James' Park.

Shortly after taking from Kevin Keegan he swore 52 times during a furious attack on the media during one of his early press conferences.

Kinnear attacked the "scandalous lies" after several newspapers claimed he had turned up to take training to find there were no players there, when in fact no training had been scheduled.

Kinnear spent the first two games of his managerial reign watching from the stands as he served a two-match touchline ban imposed for calling a referee "Coco the Clown" during his days at Nottingham Forest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7772121.stm

There you go Stevie. :razz:

I've done nothing wrong – Kinnear

Dec 9 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

JOE Kinnear has declared his innocence after he was charged with using abusive and insulting words towards a match official during the 2-2 draw with Stoke City as he insisted he will fight to avoid a lengthy touchline ban.

Kinnear, who has already been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association this season for labelling referee Martin Atkinson a “Mickey Mouse” official following Newcastle United’s 2-1 defeat at Fulham, was sent from the dug-out by Mike Riley following a complaint from the linesman shortly after Stoke’s injury-time equaliser.

But Kinnear is adamant he has done nothing wrong this time and insisted he has the witnesses to prove it as he suggested he has become a victim of his own reputation with match officials. “I’m going to defend myself against any charge because on this occasion I have done nothing wrong and I’m determined to clear my name,” said Kinnear, who will have a meeting with the Newcastle board today to discuss his transfer budget ahead of next month’s window.

“I still haven’t been told exactly why I was sent from the dug-out, but I believe it was for supposedly saying something to the linesman.

“I don’t know because I’ve not been told by the referee. I will fight this because I’m frustrated and disappointed it has happened. The thing that I find strange is I’ve no idea how the linesman has heard what I’ve supposedly said from where he was standing and with all the noise that was going on.

“Chris (Hughton) was having his say and I did say something, I know what I said, but I’ll wait until I have to give my defence before I talk about that any more.

“There was plenty of noise around, the fans behind the linesman were absolutely furious and they were saying plenty to him as well, the whole place went crazy.”

Kinnear was clearly angered by the decision to penalise Sébastien Bassong for the faintest of shoves on Stoke striker Ricardo Fuller, particularly as the visitors scored from the resulting free-kick. But he also argued he had not blamed the linesman for the goal and admitted mistakes do happen in football.

He said: “I’m not blaming the linesman or the referee. It’s not their fault Stoke scored, we defended the free-kick badly and that was why they scored.

“It’s our own fault we conceded a goal in injury time because we knew they were dangerous from set-pieces and we switched off at the crucial moment.

“The free-kick should never have been given, it wasn’t a foul, there was barely any contact at all and I couldn’t believe it was judged to be foul play. Mistakes happen though.”

United have dropped four points in their last two home games, four points which, had they been secured, would have taken the Magpies up to eleventh place in the table, just three points off seventh. And Kinnear knows how costly that could turn out to be as he looks to lift the players again ahead of the long trip to Portsmouth next weekend.

He said: “We’ve dropped four points in our last two home games and if you think back to the Manchester City game, we’ve dropped six really. Against City they were given a penalty which never was and we had a player sent off for it which was another major blow for us to deal with.

“Against Fulham there was a foul in the build-up to their second goal which the referee ignored and those things are really difficult to take. If we had a couple more points the league table would look a lot better for us.

“We have been getting a raw deal in recent weeks and we can only hope that turns for us in the second half of the season. When you think about all the injuries we’ve picked up as well, lady luck hasn’t really been kind to us has she? But we are soldiering on and things will turn in our favour as long as we keep plugging away.”

The Toon army charges Kinnear with being shite.

I couldn't care less if he was winning and getting constantly banned (which I guess he is), it's the winning bit which is important. Especially when he gets sent to the stands largely because of things that revolve on his own decisions. :razz: