2008 your musical year

sammynb

www.rateyourmusic.com is a pretty good site if you can find someone with similar tastes to you. Most people are just so desparate to show off their indie eliteness and give 5 stars to some boring drone from Ecuador and one star to TV on The Radio because they'll look cool because of it.

TV on the Radio have reached the tipping point?

;)

God Damnit!

I don't understand the kids these days. It used to be cool to fawn over whatever Pitchfork was rating highly but now that's apparently uncool and you can only be cool if you listen to really obscure experimental folk from some forgotten realm. Honestly, I don't know how they can listen to music with their head so far up their own arse.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.rateyourmusic.com is a pretty good site if you can find someone with similar tastes to you. Most people are just so desparate to show off their indie eliteness and give 5 stars to some boring drone from Ecuador and one star to TV on The Radio because they'll look cool because of it.

TV on the Radio have reached the tipping point?

;)

God Damnit!

I don't understand the kids these days. It used to be cool to fawn over whatever Pitchfork was rating highly but now that's apparently uncool and you can only be cool if you listen to really obscure experimental folk from some forgotten realm. Honestly, I don't know how they can listen to music with their head so far up their own arse.

:aye:

I seem to remember it was Sloop that made a similar Pitchfork related jibe at some of the stuff I said I liked ages ago. Needs some new material.

Did DK just post every album he bought? (In fact, quick survey, how much did you spend on music this year, excluding gigs?). Anyway, theres loads of things in that list i've not heard, will be nice to pick my way through a few of those.

That new Spiritualized is canny, Santogold is very good, Sigur Ros as ever. The Wedding Present's new album has some nice tracks on it and David Byrne/Brian Eno's Everything Thats Happens puts most of the other things listed here to shame. Laura Marling and Adele both wrote beautiful debut albums.

My wish for 2009 is that electro house will finally fuck off, it was stale in 2003 and no one has done fuck all with it (Friendly Fires aside, which was a very good album). e.g. Neon Neon's Michael Douglas was done years ago, far better with more funk by Tom Middleton. Oh sorry but its in fashion so it must be good. Is it fuck. That Quiet Village is good mind but that really is music to take drugs to.

Why does everyone love Girl Talk? He's just an Ableton mixer and not even a very good one. Honestly give me a fortnight in the studio and i could do better.

Not from this year but i recently discovered Midlake and have been unable to stop listening to them. 2006 though, I'm not hip enough tbh.

Edited by ChezGiven

I buy loads of stuff but I honestly don't buy that much that has come out recently. Not really a conscious thing but especially with the way 2nd hand cds have become so cheap and available (due to the net) and my obsession with buying up loads of early-mid 90s techno / house / electronica stuff I missed / couldn't afford at the time, means that's where a lot of my attention seems to be directed. I like a lot of old soul and dub reggae and shit like that too. I do remember getting The Peppermint Tree & Seeds by The Amorphous Androgynous though which is quality. It's the Future Sound of London although the stuff they make now is more like Primal Scream at their most psychedelic and nothing like their old stuff. That may well be the only 2008 release I've bought this year.

Did DK just post every album he bought? (In fact, quick survey, how much did you spend on music this year, excluding gigs?). Anyway, theres loads of things in that list i've not heard, will be nice to pick my way through a few of those.

That new Spiritualized is canny, Santogold is very good, Sigur Ros as ever. The Wedding Present's new album has some nice tracks on it and David Byrne/Brian Eno's Everything Thats Happens puts most of the other things listed here to shame. Laura Marling and Adele both wrote beautiful debut albums.

My wish for 2009 is that electro house will finally fuck off, it was stale in 2003 and no one has done fuck all with it (Friendly Fires aside, which was a very good album). e.g. Neon Neon's Michael Douglas was done years ago, far better with more funk by Tom Middleton. Oh sorry but its in fashion so it must be good. Is it fuck. That Quiet Village is good mind but that really is music to take drugs to.

Why does everyone love Girl Talk? He's just an Ableton mixer and not even a very good one. Honestly give me a fortnight in the studio and i could do better.

Not from this year but i recently discovered Midlake and have been unable to stop listening to them. 2006 though, I'm not hip enough tbh.

I'd love to say I bought all of those but it would be a lie. But no there were lots of albums I heard (I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to music at work now so I can listen to quite a bit and I've felt I needed to check out more this year because of the let downs of of some of my more anticipated releases) and didn't think too much of. The big let downs were Destroyer, Wolf Parade and Islands for me but I've heard lot of other that did nothing for me. I just went through my Ipod and listed the ones I enjoyed although I admit not all of them are good album but they all did some good stuff.

I'd forgotten about that David Byrne album, I must get my hands on that. Also the Sigur Ros album is one I must listen too more, it didn't stick with me as much as their last few but I still quite enjoyed it.

It's great fun. I'm not interested on the technicalities of mixing or how he achieves what he does, but the song selection and the scattergun onslaught of great tune after great tune was a winner for me.

I've no doubt a layman could put together something quite similar (I read he generally came up with about a minute per day, so two months rather than 2 weeks) but I don't know that their ear for what goes with what would be as good. The tracks selected are unashamedly poplar too which has the added benefit of annoying people like Sloop who'll only listen to a mix if they can show how clever they are for recognising one cuban horn section from 1963.

I'd love to say I bought all of those but it would be a lie. But no there were lots of albums I heard (I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to music at work now so I can listen to quite a bit and I've felt I needed to check out more this year because of the let downs of of some of my more anticipated releases) and didn't think too much of. The big let downs were Destroyer, Wolf Parade and Islands for me but I've heard lot of other that did nothing for me. I just went through my Ipod and listed the ones I enjoyed although I admit not all of them are good album but they all did some good stuff.

I'd forgotten about that David Byrne album, I must get my hands on that. Also the Sigur Ros album is one I must listen too more, it didn't stick with me as much as their last few but I still quite enjoyed it.

I sent HF the RS link ;) for the DB/BE album, if he's still got it in his pm's it should still work.

I sent HF the RS link ;) for the DB/BE album, if he's still got it in his pm's it should still work.

Sent.

It's great fun. I'm not interested on the technicalities of mixing or how he achieves what he does, but the song selection and the scattergun onslaught of great tune after great tune was a winner for me.

I've no doubt a layman could put together something quite similar (I read he generally came up with about a minute per day, so two months rather than 2 weeks) but I don't know that their ear for what goes with what would be as good. The tracks selected are unashamedly poplar too which has the added benefit of annoying people like Sloop who'll only listen to a mix if they can show how clever they are for recognising one cuban horn section from 1963.

If Girl Talk could do it live with Vinyl, i'd be impressed. I take your point about the song selection (its funny) but isnt this just doing the "its so uncool, its cool" thing?

Of course taking the unashamedly popular (e.g. Whitney Houston) and making it impossibly cool (mixed live with Leftfield's genre defining Not Forgotten) has all been done before, years ago, without a computer.

Sasha ;)

Acquired some class house mixes recently I think you'd like btw Chez. Got volume 1&2 of the Journeys by DJ After Hours mixes (Jay Chappell I think) plus the MoS sessions vol ? mixed by DJ Harvey. All good, deep, soulful stuff. All quite old now but all the better for it. Picked up a few others but I can't remember what off the top of my head. I've only recently discovered discogs.com which is spot on for hard to find stuff like that.

If Girl Talk could do it live with Vinyl, i'd be impressed. I take your point about the song selection (its funny) but isnt this just doing the "its so uncool, its cool" thing?

Of course taking the unashamedly popular (e.g. Whitney Houston) and making it impossibly cool (mixed live with Leftfield's genre defining Not Forgotten) has all been done before, years ago, without a computer.

Standing on the shoulders of giants.

By the way, that's Peter Kay tastic.

"A computer! A computer isn't an instrument. In my day we had proper musicians, they had talent, they could actually PLAY other peoples records. Put a bit of bloody Basement Jaxx on for your mother. Smack My Bitch Up."

Nice one grandad ;)

By the way, that's Peter Kay tastic.

"A computer! A computer isn't an instrument. In my day we had proper musicians, they had talent, they could actually PLAY other peoples records. Put a bit of bloody Basement Jaxx on for your mother. Smack My Bitch Up."

Nice one grandad :aye:

;) Wasnt it.

Sasha ;)

Acquired some class house mixes recently I think you'd like btw Chez. Got volume 1&2 of the Journeys by DJ After Hours mixes (Jay Chappell I think) plus the MoS sessions vol ? mixed by DJ Harvey. All good, deep, soulful stuff. All quite old now but all the better for it. Picked up a few others but I can't remember what off the top of my head. I've only recently discovered discogs.com which is spot on for hard to find stuff like that.

The JDJ series is class, Harvey is a good producer too, nice jazz funk influences, think my favourite is the Coldcut one (HF would like that, i;m sure).

The mix series i got the most into are the Back to Mine / Another Late Night ones. Mellow as a cello though.

The After Hours JDJ ones were a bit more mellow like. HF would like the Coldcut one though I reckon. The Normay Jay/Giles Peterson one is brilliant too.

I've been recommended the Coldcut one a few times now but not been able to purloin it.

Or was that Cut Copy?

Eithher way, I'll have a gander ;)

I can do you a copy if you want.

I've been recommended the Coldcut one a few times now but not been able to purloin it.

Or was that Cut Copy?

:huh:

Eithher way, I'll have a gander :aye:

I may take you up on that, I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

Or was that Cut Copy?

:huh:

Eithher way, I'll have a gander :aye:

I may take you up on that, I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

It's no hassle mate.

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. ;)

Can some geek do me a list of albums I should have purchased in 2008?

DK's list is pretty comprehensive but there was quite a few i'd not heard.

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. ;)

Can some geek do me a list of albums I should have purchased in 2008?

DK's list is pretty comprehensive but there was quite a few i'd not heard.

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

Will look into that...Rumours is a very good album. :aye: