2008 your musical year

sammynb

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. ;)

Can some geek do me a list of albums I should have purchased in 2008?

DK's list is pretty comprehensive but there was quite a few i'd not heard.

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

If Midlake does it for you then I suggest you go out and find stuff by Besnard Lakes and the Clientele.

I also suggest if you haven't heard the Drones, do.

Besnard Lakes are canny but the Clientele are excellent. Their EP this year is very good but their last two albums are superb. Never heard of the Drones. What are they like?

The Drones are one of those quiet achiever Australian bands that are a mixture of noisy guitar, eerie vocals and good song writing. They have a bit of an association with the Dirty Three and Black Eyed Susans if you know their stuff.

A bit of background > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_drones

Also DK the recommendations were for Parky, I knew you were a clientele fan. Besnard Lakes are the dark horse is one of those albums that it takes four listens and then it just gets you.

Have you just confused me with Parky?

Chez, I have, sorry mate.

In fairness my original post was inspired by the following post from Parky and then I read your praise for Midlake.

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. :aye:

In the end it's all about KK :huh:

Got The Clientele on your recommendation, gave it a quick listen and liked it. Also got some Okkervill River as per DK's post and the new Fujiya & Miyagi (Lightbulbs).

All good.

I'm still wading though 2006/7. I'd recommend this group Midlake, they only came to my attention via the fabulously titled 'Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve remix' of a track called Roscoe. It was a bit of a shock when i heard the actual album as it sounds like it was written at the same time as Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. Bizzare but its been on my iPod everyday for the last fortnight.

If Midlake does it for you then I suggest you go out and find stuff by Besnard Lakes and the Clientele.

Besnard Lakes are canny but the Clientele are excellent. Their EP this year is very good but their last two albums are superb. Never heard of the Drones. What are they like?

The Drones are one of those quiet achiever Australian bands that are a mixture of noisy guitar, eerie vocals and good song writing. They have a bit of an association with the Dirty Three and Black Eyed Susans if you know their stuff.

Also DK the recommendations were for Parky, I knew you were a clientele fan. Besnard Lakes are the dark horse is one of those albums that it takes four listens and then it just gets you.

In fairness my original post was inspired by the following post from Parky and then I read your praise for Midlake.

Got The Clientele on your recommendation, gave it a quick listen and liked it. Also got some Okkervill River as per DK's post and the new Fujiya & Miyagi (Lightbulbs).

All good.

Which Okkervill did you get. Black Sheep Boy is my favourite but that may just be because that it the one I've had longest, they have all grown on me more and more. The last Clientele album is my favourite of theirs too.

Andrew Bird or The Boy Least Likely To

Two of my favourites mentioned there.

I'd recommend Exit by Shugo Tokumaru too then, if you haven't heard it already.

Never heard of them/him/her. Will give it a look.

Liking the David Byrne/Brian Eno album btw.

records i like from this year in no order:

laura marling - alas, i cannot swim

christian fennesz - black sea

christian fennesz / philip jeck - amoroso [ep]

grouper - dragging a dead deer up a hill

vivian girls - vivian girls

pocahaunted - chains

pocahaunted - the beast that you are

pocahaunted - live @ berkeley

murcof - the versailles sessions

jacaszeck - treny

benoît pioulard - temper

fuck buttons - street horsssing

verse en coma - rialto [ep]

mumford & sons - love your ground [ep]

paavoharju - laulu laakson kukista

fursaxa - kobold moon

philip glass - animals in love

starkey - ephemeral exhibits

ikonika - please / simalucrum [single]

james blackshaw - litany of echoes

li jianhong - san sheng shi

pocahaunted - island diamonds

indian jewelry - free gold

aidan baker & tim hecker - fantasma-parastasie

boris - smile

primm & propeller - prabb

emeralds - planetarium [ep]

ignatz - III

jesu / envy - jesu / envy split [ep]

william parker - double sunrise over neptune

procer veneficus - deathwanderings

sun kil moon - april

beach house - devotion

Well since there's no way I can compete on the Blokes Pressing Buttons/Playing Guitars front, I shall brave a mention of Kathy Mattea's "Coal" as the best thoroughly depressing rootsy Americana album of the year.

All good.

Which Okkervill did you get. Black Sheep Boy is my favourite but that may just be because that it the one I've had longest, they have all grown on me more and more. The last Clientele album is my favourite of theirs too.

Okkervill River are great, been listening to The Stage Names all day, the opening track is quality. Seem to have been listening to a lot of music from Texas recently. Not got Black Sheep Boy yet, will do soon, am sure. The Clientele one i got was God Save The Clientele, From Brighton Beach to Santa Monica is amazing but am just getting into it.

Glad you liked to the DB/BE album btw ;)

laura marling - alas, i cannot swim

christian fennesz - black sea

christian fennesz / philip jeck - amoroso [ep]

pocahaunted - chains

pocahaunted - the beast that you are

pocahaunted - live @ berkeley

murcof - the versailles sessions

jacaszeck - treny

benoît pioulard - temper

verse en coma - rialto [ep]

mumford & sons - love your ground [ep]

paavoharju - laulu laakson kukista

fursaxa - kobold moon

philip glass - animals in love

starkey - ephemeral exhibits

ikonika - please / simalucrum [single]

james blackshaw - litany of echoes

li jianhong - san sheng shi

pocahaunted - island diamonds

indian jewelry - free gold

aidan baker & tim hecker - fantasma-parastasie

boris - smile

primm & propeller - prabb

emeralds - planetarium [ep]

ignatz - III

jesu / envy - jesu / envy split [ep]

william parker - double sunrise over neptune

procer veneficus - deathwanderings

sun kil moon - april

beach house - devotion

Do you ever crack a smile? ;)

Couldn't get away with Beach House, but Marling, Glass, Buttons and paavoharju are all good so I'll take a gander at the others I've not heard of.

Already enjoyed Ashes is White video by Pocohaunted on youtube while typing this.

To name but a few...

Staple favourites:

Kings of Leon

Modest Mouse

Sufjan Stevens

The Shins

New Music:

M83

The Maccabees

Neutral Milk Hotel

Joanna Newsom

Rediscovering:

Jeff Buckley

Led Zeppelin

Joni Mitchell

Can a mod please rename this thread to the music geek thread or something? It's like Pitchfork on steroids in here.

Fucking hell, there is more to life than wanting to have Mike Patton's babies and owning all of Chocolate Starfish's albums radioactive boy.

Parky, God save the Clientele would be agood place to start.

Can a mod please rename this thread to the music geek thread or something? It's like Pitchfork on steroids in here.

Fucking hell, there is more to life than wanting to have Mike Patton's babies and owning all of Chocolate Starfish's albums radioactive boy.

You know, I'd rather have a day of non-stop Stevie and DannyB posts than have to read anything by you. Still clinging to that Radioactive Boy bit too huh? God you're boring.

You know, I'd rather have a day of non-stop Stevie and DannyB posts than have to read anything by you. Still clinging to that Radioactive Boy bit too huh? God you're boring.

;)

Better to be boring than a Melbournite who constantly whines how much they miss it and yet choses to live elsewhere.

jacaszeck - treny

benoît pioulard - temper

boris - smile

sun kil moon - april

beach house - devotion

I have all of these and enjoyed all of them (especially Jacaszeck & Fuck Buttons (Carefull I'm sure they are Pitchfork Darlings))

Was disapointed with the Boris effort. Pink is brilliant but this left me a bit cold.

If you like Beach House I would recommend The Instruments - Dark Smaland. Similar kind of music but I enjoyed it much more.

Any of those other ones you would particularly recommend?

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. :P

Coldcut, christ that takes me back. :panic:

In the end it's all about KK :nufc:

All good.

Okkervill River are great, been listening to The Stage Names all day, the opening track is quality. Seem to have been listening to a lot of music from Texas recently. Not got Black Sheep Boy yet, will do soon, am sure. The Clientele one i got was God Save The Clientele, From Brighton Beach to Santa Monica is amazing but am just getting into it.

Glad you liked to the DB/BE album btw :icon_lol:

The Stage Names is possibly a more consistent album but Black Sheep Boys has most of my favourite songs on it. There new one is, like I say, growing on me with every listen.

Strange Geometry is another excellent Clientele album but God Save is probably stronger. Like you say Brighton Beach is amazing along with Queen of Seville & In The Garden Tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave here is my Top 30 Albums of 2008 - so this is what i recommend the most....the order is pretty exact.

30. Laura Marling | Alas, I Cannot Swim

29. Primm & Propeller | Prabb

28. Pocahaunted | Plays Berkeley

27. Starkey | Ephemeral Exhibits

26. Battle Of Mice / Jesu | Split [EP]

25. William Parker | Double Sunrise Over Neptune

24. Emeralds | Planetarium [EP]

23. Envy | Jesu | Split EP

22. Atavist & Nadja | Points At Infinity

21. Sun Kil Moon | April

20. Pocahaunted | Chains

19. Indian Jewelry | ‘Free Gold!’

18. Mumford & Sons | Love Your Ground [EP]

17. Mark Kozelek | Nights LP

16. James Blackshaw | Litany Of Echoes

15. Fuck Buttons | Street Horsssing

14. Ikonika | Please / Simulacrum [EP]

13. Animal Collective | Water Curses

12. Philip Glass | Animals In Love

11. Procer Veneficus | Deathwanderings

10. Beach House | Devotion

09. Pocahaunted | The Beast That You Are

08. Paavoharju | Laula Laakson Kukista

07. Benoît Pioulard | Temper

06. Jacaszek | Treny

05. Procer Veneficus | Deathwanderings

04. Verse En Coma | Rialto [EP]

03. Fennesz | Black Sea

02. Vivian Girls | Vivian Girls

01. Grouper | Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

Edited by SloopJohn

Dave here is my Top 30 Albums of 2009 - so this is what i recommend the most....the order is pretty exact.

30. Primm & Propeller | Prabb

29. Pocahaunted | Plays Berkeley

28. Starkey | Ephemeral Exhibits

27. Emeralds | Planetarium [EP]

26. Battle Of Mice / Jesu | Split [EP]

25. William Parker | Double Sunrise Over Neptune

24. Emeralds | Planetarium [EP]

23. Envy | Jesu | Split EP

22. Atavist & Nadja | Points At Infinity

21. Sun Kil Moon | April

20. Pocahaunted | Chains

19. Indian Jewelry | ‘Free Gold!’