Allardyce: why Niall Quinn should make me Sunderland manager

Jimbo

Sam Allardyce stepped up his charm offensive to succeed Roy Keane yesterday by outlining the qualities he believes he possesses that mark him out as the next Sunderland manager. Allardyce has made little secret of his desire to fill the void left by the sudden departure of the Irishman on Thursday of last week, as the former Newcastle United manager aims to bring an end to his near-12-month exile from the game.

With a list of high-profile candidates including Gérard Houllier and Alan Curbishley, the former managers of Liverpool and West Ham United respectively, among the 30 or so names Niall Quinn hopes to reduce to a shortlist at the weekend, Allardyce is acutely aware of the need to keep his name at the forefront of the Sunderland chairman’s thoughts. “I’ve said over the last few days that I’d like to get back into managing a football club and I’m bound to be linked with Sunderland at the moment,” Allardyce, the bookmakers’ favourite, said. “There’s been no official contact but I know what a great club it is, we’ll just have to wait and see.”

The 54-year-old thinks that his previous spells at Sunderland, as a player in the 1980s and as a coach in the 1990s, help to provide him with an understanding of what they require to revive their fortunes. Six defeats from their past seven Barclays Premier League games leave Sunderland in the bottom three and Allardyce said: “I’ve worked there twice before, once as a player and once as a coach with Peter Reid, so I know what it needs.”

Allardyce said that he had not been short of job offers since he was dismissed by Newcastle in January after only eight months in charge at St James’ Park. During that time, Allardyce has been linked with positions at Portsmouth, Nottingham Forest and even with a return to Huddersfield Town, another of his former clubs as a player.

The manager who spent 7½ years in charge at Bolton Wanderers considers his credentials are worthy of the top flight and so has resisted the temptation to return at a lower level. “There’s been one or two positions I’ve talked about but haven’t felt it was right for me to go at that particular time,” he said. “I really feel I’m ready now. Having done almost 16 years on the trot in management, I needed a break, and the break had to be long enough for me to come back with all guns blazing.”

Curbishley, who resigned from his post as manager of West Ham in September, was rather less forthright about his chances of returning to management at the Stadium of Light. “There’s lots of speculation, but I don’t think anyone really knows what’s going to go on,” he said. “Niall’s come out and said they’re going to take their time because it’s a big appointment. It’s a big club, but it’s a big job as well. Would I be interested? I think it’s more a case of Niall and the board having to be interested in me.”

He better not get it, Ive got 2k coming if Steve Clarke gets the job :razz:

How long before Clarke cuts his teeth in the big boys chair?

Or is he one of these coaches who'll never make the step up to Manager, but will remain a very good coach?

Or is he one of these coaches who'll never make the step up to Manager, but will remain a very good coach?

I reckon its soon and the way West 'Am are going then hes not got any reason to hang round at the mo.

I reckon its soon and the way West 'Am are going then hes not got any reason to hang round at the mo.

He's strikes me as the type of bloke who would actually do quite well at a decent sized club looking to mix it up with the European chasing teams. Him and that grey haired bloke, who was our youth team coach, then moved to Everton... not sure if he's still there and I've forgotten his name. Both of them look to be coaches who've successfully acquired a fair amount of experience with various degrees of expectation and scope.

He's strikes me as the type of bloke who would actually do quite well at a decent sized club looking to mix it up with the European chasing teams. Him and that grey haired bloke, who was our youth team coach, then moved to Everton... not sure if he's still there and I've forgotten his name. Both of them look to be coaches who've successfully acquired a fair amount of experience with various degrees of expectation and scope.

Irvine..... David Irvine? maybe derek

Edited by Monkeys Fist