Woolworths

Craig

Can you believe the brummie scab at the end of this clip?? Stood there with his two empty suitcases whinging like fuck that Woolworths aren't knocking enough off their prices for his liking and that it's a 'swizz' and that it's more expensive that it was 2 weeks ago and he's 'wasted his time'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7776634.stm

Never mind the stupid bitch in here who says "it's a con like 2 weeks ago"...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7778536.stm

I take it they've no interest in in the fact that people are losing their jobs over this and there's concerns over the stability of the pension scheme for those who are not yet drawing off it... so long as these scabs can have plenty of shit to flog on ebay, eh? ;)

Cunts the lot of them...

Woolies has shut because it served a previous generation. There's nowt you can buy there that you can't get get cheaper on t'internet.

I don't know anyone who works there but feel sorry for them for losing their jobs.

The attitude of these fuckers moaning about the prices stinks though and is indicative of how selfish people get. Woolies need to recoup as much money as they can to satisfy the receivers.

Yeah, Woolies not only became irrelevant but was several years late in recognising its own irrelevance. It's a shame to see it go, though, and anyone seeing it purely as a chance to grab a bargain without any sympathy for the thousands of people affected is clearly a kernt.

I have actually used it for xmas pressies for my brother's kids for the past few years... the Chad Valley stuff has been good value.

But that's the only time I have used it and I've no inclination to rush there now just because they're having a fire sale.

Quite the opposite actually - I'm avoiding the place like the plague.

Indeed, it's because they sold "stuff"

no one would actually go into woolies for something if you know what I mean

most people over the last few years just wandered into it for a nosey around not actually looking for anything

;)

Never considered it, but that's true. Always been a warm place to kill 15 minutes for me.

They needed to find a niche but Pic n Mix has a limited appeal so prospects for year on year growth was restricted.

I've done loads of my christmas shopping there this year though. I think the dafties complaining haven't worked out that the prices are dropped and then there's a further discount at the till from the mark down price. I've been getting £10 and £15 photo frames for £2 or £3. the perfect generic gift for forgettable great aunties.

Their decline corresponds to an extent with the disappearance of the shop-based CD market and the death of the CD single in favour of downloads - for a long time they were the only place in most small towns/on most local high streets where you could get a decent range of chart music at a reasonable price, but them Amazon and iTunes came along, and whoops. ;)

Stupid list of things I used to buy at Woolies as a kid:

Wembley trophy footballs.

Winfield Football boots (£4.49 I think).

Airfix model kits.

When I've walked past in recent years, I've always got the impression of a Poundland type shop - harsh but I think it illustrates they had no clue as to how to position themselves in the 21st century.

Feel sorry for anyone losing their job like. Woolies has shut because it's a shit shop though.

Rich coming from the man who personally took it on his shoulders to help the Wallsend branch outstay it's welcome.

I stopped going and look what happened.

Woolies has shut because it served a previous generation. There's nowt you can buy there that you can't get get cheaper on t'internet.

That's not entirely true, sure in most places the big supermarkets sell most of the things Woolies sells and cheaper, but in some areas it still does serve a viable market - I'm a bit surprised there wasn't some sort of offer just for all the small town shops (or maybe there was and it wasn't accepted), I can certainly think of 3 small towns off the top of my head where Woolworths must still make a profit.

Don't worry though, TESCO, ASDA and Sainsbury's are preparing to snap up many of Woolworths leases. ;)

Indeed, it's because they sold "stuff"

no one would actually go into woolies for something if you know what I mean

most people over the last few years just wandered into it for a nosey around not actually looking for anything

:aye:

Never considered it, but that's true. Always been a warm place to kill 15 minutes for me.

They needed to find a niche but Pic n Mix has a limited appeal so prospects for year on year growth was restricted.

I've done loads of my christmas shopping there this year though. I think the dafties complaining haven't worked out that the prices are dropped and then there's a further discount at the till from the mark down price. I've been getting £10 and £15 photo frames for £2 or £3. the perfect generic gift for forgettable great aunties.

That's not very Christian of you. ;)

tesco do what woolies should have done. they've paid for being behind the times...

Crush all opposition and tactically buy out all land competitors might set up upon and mothball it?

tesco do what woolies should have done. they've paid for being behind the times...

Crush all opposition and tactically buy out all land competitors might set up upon and mothball it?

The Microsoft of the groceries world. Survival of the fittest and all that....

Or do you suggest they should all say "no, after you..."? ;)

Or do you suggest they should all say "no, after you..."? :aye:

;)

As much as many on board seems to favour massive companies doing dodgy or even outright illegal things for their own benefit, they have been reprimanded over their block buying policies. ;)

Or do you think "might is right/survival of the biggest" and that's the end of it? :huh:

As much as many on board seems to favour massive companies doing dodgy or even outright illegal things for their own benefit, they have been reprimanded over their block buying policies. ;)

Or do you think "might is right/survival of the biggest" and that's the end of it? :huh:

No i think you should passivley let your competitors fuck you over just like Woolies did. Oh hang on, that one didnt work out very well for their employees.....

No i think you should passivley let your competitors fuck you over just like Woolies did. Oh hang on, that one didnt work out very well for their employees.....

Yes we all know your philosophy; get to the top by any means necessary then do everything and anything you can to stay there.

That's a good corporate plan, but it's why Governments need to put some limits corporate greed.

I'm sure you'd justify slavery economically if it gave a big enough dividend, but that's not really the point.....

Edited by Fop

Or do you suggest they should all say "no, after you..."? :huh:

Or do you think "might is right/survival of the biggest" and that's the end of it? ;)

Yes we all know your philosophy; get to the top by any means necessary then do everything and anything you can to stay there.

That's a good corporate plan, but it's why Governments need to put some limits corporate greed.

I'm sure you'd justify slavery economically if it gave a big enough dividend, but that's not really the point.....

No, i meant that Woolies did not act like Tesco, thats why people have lost their jobs. Tesco needs to act within the regulations but it also has to strive to be as competitive as it can or it too will go the same way.

My philosophy? Dont be daft lad, i wouldnt bore people with my philosophical ramblings on here. :aye:

If you're interested, i fall between Rawls and Sen and use this framework to express it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_welfare_function

Edited by ChezGiven

Or do you think "might is right/survival of the biggest" and that's the end of it? ;)

No, i meant that Woolies did not act like Tesco, thats why people have lost their jobs. Tesco needs to act within the regulations but it also has to strive to be as competitive as it can or it too will go the same way.

My philosophy? Dont be daft lad, i wouldnt bore people with my philosophical ramblings on here.

If you're interested, i fall between Rawls and Sen and use this framework to express it.

TESCO has acted outside of regulations (repeatedly), so clearly that's how you think Woolworth's should have gone. :aye: Personally I can't see how Woolworth's could have saved itself as is, short of Slavery.

My philosophy? Dont be daft lad, i wouldnt bore people with my philosophical ramblings on here.

TESCO has acted outside of regulations (repeatedly), so clearly that's how you think Woolworth's should have gone. :aye: Personally I can't see how Woolworth's could have saved itself as is, short of Slavery.

No, i think (stop saying what i think man, its really childish) that Tesco have done some bad things but also represent firstly the preferences of the UK population who are too lazy to shop at independent small retailers and secondly a company competitive enough to penetrate international markets (helping the currency and balance of payments). When you compete in a fierce market like food retail then being aggressive is a way of life. Obviously there are drawbacks, i quite agree but i'd rather have a slightly over-aggressive Tesco than a dead Woolies. Dont you agree on balance that sounds about fair?

Edited by ChezGiven

No, i think (stop saying what i think man, its really childish) that Tesco have done some bad things but also represent firstly the preferences of the UK population who are too lazy to shop at independent small retailers and secondly a company competitive enough to penetrate international markets (helping the currency and balance of payments). When you compete in a fierce market like food retail then being aggressive is a way of life. Obviously there are drawbacks, i quite agree but i'd rather have a slightly over-aggressive Tesco than a dead Woolies. Dont you agree on balance that sounds about fair?

Again you're still saying that Woolies should have acted like Tescos and broke rules (I don't understand why you think you aren't saying that when you are)...... but I still don't think that would have saved them as is.

Well not unless they had become massively dominant first, in which case Tescos would have been destroyed years ago.