Kinnear fears Owen Newcastle exit

Craig

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear admits he is not confident of persuading Michael Owen to stay at St James' Park when his deal runs out in the summer.

Kinnear will sit down with the striker on Tuesday to discuss a new contract.

But Kinnear told the BBC: "I'm pretty confident about everybody else, but Michael is a different kettle of fish."

Owen, 28, has previously pinpointed boardroom "turmoil" as the reason for his delay in agreeing a new contract with the club .

After former manager Kevin Keegan's controversial exit in September, owner Mike Ashley put the Magpies up for sale but has been unable to find a buyer.

"We had a few meetings earlier on in the season and things were going fine," striker Owen, 28, told BBC Sport earlier in December.

"Then the manager left as did someone on the board who we were negotiating with - talks haven't picked up since."

Owen, who could walk away from the club for free at the end of the season, said: "They've got bigger things to fry than sorting out my contract, or the contracts of Steven Harper, Shola Amoebi, Mark Viduka and Nicky Butt - there are a lot of people out of contract.

Owen also praised the work of Keegan's successor Kinnear, who recently signed a contract as Newcastle's manager until the end of the season.

"We needed someone to steady the ship - there has been so much surrounding the club this season, as well as other seasons, it seems to attract unwanted publicity," said Owen, who has scored six Premier League goals this season.

"He has come in and has had a steadying influence on the club and has done really well.

"We're quite hard to beat - we've had a lot of draws and if we can turn those into wins we'll be on the right road."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7780414.stm

;)

how little will they take for him? £3m I reckon

I actually think he'll go on a free. And if he does, I'm guessing he'll be the most expensive player ever to move on for nowt.

I actually think he'll go on a free. And if he does, I'm guessing he'll be the most expensive player ever to move on for nowt.

What about Kluivert? ;)

Hope he does move for nowt because the choice is either that or sell him in January and massively increase the chances of us going down. Couldn't blame him at all for leaving tbf. Yes he gets a fantastic wage but any player capable of comanding that sort of salary expects better than the shite we've offered him.

Confident that Harper, Butt, Viduka, Ameobi, Edgar and Cacapa will sign new contracts and it's turned into a negative because he's still not sure with Owen but will be trying.

We all knew Owen was doubtful so this is only good news.

I think Mendieta has that honour. £22m from Valencia to Lazio, then to Barca on a Free iirc.

I think Mendieta has that honour. £22m from Valencia to Lazio, then to Barca on a Free iirc.

Didn't he win the Champions League? ;)

Not with Valencia, lost it twice iirc though.

Bless Jonny.... you're obviously not old skool enough :aye:

Bless Jonny.... you're obviously not old skool enough :aye:

99 shirt ? :huh:

They've blatantly got no interest in investing any money in keeping him

I think the feeling's mutual. They don't want to keep him [money] and he doesn't want to stay [ambition/money/Engerland]. Both sides will try to give the fans the impression it's the other's fault....Owen (or his advisers) is a master at this. I can't see him wanting to leave in Jan as he'd be worth more personally on a free. That's good news for us as we desperately need his goals (if selected/if fit/if he can be arsed).

whos gonna pay his wages in this current climate ??

if we offer him a decent deal he`ll stay i think, if (big if i know) hes fit he`ll probably get as many games here as anywhere else

why move wife/kids for less money or more bench warming ??

either way it needs sorting out and its bollox that we are having to debate will he/wont he ;)

I think the feeling's mutual. They don't want to keep him [money] and he doesn't want to stay [ambition/money/Engerland]. Both sides will try to give the fans the impression it's the other's fault....Owen (or his advisers) is a master at this. I can't see him wanting to leave in Jan as he'd be worth more personally on a free. That's good news for us as we desperately need his goals (if selected/if fit/if he can be arsed).

I have to say that this general apathy towards Owen and the view that he cant be arsed is one that confuses me. You look at the likes of Viduka who spends half of every season sitting on the treatment table and the other half putting in a fraction of Owens workrate yet he doesnt come in for the stick Owen does.

I believe Michael Owen is a professional, one of the biggest (not in height obviously ;)) professionals in the game and while he is here I believe he gives 110% for this club yet gets no return for it (other than his 100k a week paycheque obviously). That paycheque though is not Owens fault, its the fault of those willing to pay such an amount, we cant blame Owen for how much he cost or gets paid and it shouldnt affect our views of him.

The biggest risk to this clubs survival will be whether Michael Owen stays or not, either way we as fans should be showing him that we want him to stay. Currently it must not appear to him that we do.

I have to say that this general apathy towards Owen and the view that he cant be arsed is one that confuses me. You look at the likes of Viduka who spends half of every season sitting on the treatment table and the other half putting in a fraction of Owens workrate yet he doesnt come in for the stick Owen does.

I believe Michael Owen is a professional, one of the biggest (not in height obviously ;)) professionals in the game and while he is here I believe he gives 110% for this club yet gets no return for it (other than his 100k a week paycheque obviously). That paycheque though is not Owens fault, its the fault of those willing to pay such an amount, we cant blame Owen for how much he cost or gets paid and it shouldnt affect our views of him.

The biggest risk to this clubs survival will be whether Michael Owen stays or not, either way we as fans should be showing him that we want him to stay. Currently it must not appear to him that we do.

The 'can't be arsed' comment was meant to be a tongue in cheek throwaway comment. Oh well.