The Official Portsmouth Vs Newcastle United Thread

Jimbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7578328.stm

Indeed, dunno how I missed that.

Well someone is lying then. :P

Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out who.

Tbh I wouldn't trust either side in this one.

Owen's agent confirmed at the time that they had received an offer and that they were going to sit down and discuss it before holding more talks, Owen even confirmed last week that the club were negotiating with his lot but it all broke down when Keegan and Jimenez left.

I don't think anyone is telling lies.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen's agent confirmed at the time that they had received an offer and that they were going to sit down and discuss it before holding more talks, Owen even confirmed last week that the club were negotiating with his lot but it all broke down when Keegan and Jimenez left.

I don't think anyone is telling lies.

In that respect I agree, up until KK left we did seem to be negotiating, once he'd gone though all of that seemed to break down. Who knows why but the cynic in me says its because Keegan fought to keep him and once he'd gone then they didnt bother, knowing he'd be going in Jan.

Brilliant result but in the first 2 minutes it began to look like we were headed for another defeat.

They could have buried us in the first half then came out for the second half like we did last week, only difference being they weren't 2 nowt up.

Enrique had had a shite first half but did a little better in the second.

Guthrie had a good game, I was a little disappointed with Zoggy.

Bassong gave another stoic defense.

Why the fuck did he put Ameobe on instead of Viduka?

Brilliant result but in the first 2 minutes it began to look like we were headed for another defeat.

They could have buried us in the first half then came out for the second half like we did last week, only difference being they weren't 2 nowt up.

You bolded it for me, cheers. I think that decision was justified in the end.

I would agree with most of what you say except for that I thought Enrique had a good game especially in defence. There was a number of times we would have been right in the shite had he not covered for the two centrebacks.

And I thought we looked the most likely to take the lead pretty much from the off. They were getting in a few digs early on but not from particularly worrying positions whereas we had a number of good chances (Beye in particular should have scored).

All in all I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this one. We desperatley needed to start winning games away from home and if we can beat these then there's no reason why we can't go to places like West Brom, Stoke, Blackburn, Hull & Spurs full of confidence. Mind you as it happen I've seen Portsmouth a foew times this season and they have looked crap each time (and that includes when Redknapp was there). They badly miss Muntari.

I'm still looking for a photo from today when Oba celebrated his goal by lifting up his shirt showing a message underneath "HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEMMILL XXX".

just got back from the match, good solid performance I can't remember the last time we kept 3 clean sheets away from home in a row !

thought guthrie had a blinder today, as a good a match he's had in black n white. Things could have been totally different though if crouch / defoe had scored early on, instead taking to booting the ball quite literally out the ground and once we got to half time you could see martins pace been taking to them in the second half. Another solid colo / bassong partnership, kepp it going boys!

Thats three and half games now that that back four haven't conceeded btw. If only Kinnear hadn't been a fuckwit at half time last week we would be in the top half. Still really worried about the threat of releagation but feeling much better tonight.

Is anyone else beginning to think that Owen and Martins might actually work together? :P

I'm wondering if it's more of a case of N'Zogbia/Martins & Owen/Jonas working tbh.

Is anyone else beginning to think that Owen and Martins might actually work together? :P

I'm wondering if it's more of a case of N'Zogbia/Martins & Owen/Jonas working tbh.

are you wanting ketchup or brown sauce on your brown eye btw?

are you wanting ketchup or brown sauce on your brown eye btw?

Not sure, do your pants muffle your voice ? :panic:

Well, the partnership of Owen/Martins/Viduka worked well late last season under KK ... so the fact that Owens/Martins works isn't that much of a surprise.

I think Jimbo is correct, it's helped enormously be the runs of Zoggy and Spiderman up and down the flanks.

We also need to push forward with the midfield. While we have improved defensively by leaps and bounds (including with the midfield), the commentators were right last night (remember, I live in Australia) that too often we weren't willing to press forward with the midfield, and relying always on the counter.

Mind you, having said that, we did win 3-0 away!!!!!

:panic: