The Official Portsmouth Vs Newcastle United Thread

Jimbo

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fantastic result. the team as is is built for counter attacking using the pace of the argentinian lad and owen and martins. owens movement was ( especially second half) exceptional. bassong was good again, and enrique gets stick whilst not actually being that bad. he's good defensively and got an assist today which is not bad. collo looked a little shaky today.

funny thing is tony adams has been quoted as saying he wouldn't swap defoe for owen....

Still in slight disbelief about this tbh.

Showed the potential of the team when most of the first 11 are fit. Only player that would get in I think would be Barton, but still think we're only 1 or 2 injuries away from trouble.

Great result though.

Is anyone else beginning to think that Owen and Martins might actually work together? :P

Play decent balls into their feet and it will. Start lumping high balls to them whilst up against 6'4" defenders and they struggle

Brilliant result but in the first 2 minutes it began to look like we were headed for another defeat.

They could have buried us in the first half then came out for the second half like we did last week, only difference being they weren't 2 nowt up.

Enrique had had a shite first half but did a little better in the second.

Guthrie had a good game, I was a little disappointed with Zoggy.

Bassong gave another stoic defense.

Why the fuck did he put Ameobe on instead of Viduka?

I would agree with most of what you say except for that I thought Enrique had a good game especially in defence. There was a number of times we would have been right in the shite had he not covered for the two centrebacks.

And I thought we looked the most likely to take the lead pretty much from the off. They were getting in a few digs early on but not from particularly worrying positions whereas we had a number of good chances (Beye in particular should have scored).

All in all I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this one. We desperatley needed to start winning games away from home and if we can beat these then there's no reason why we can't go to places like West Brom, Stoke, Blackburn, Hull & Spurs full of confidence. Mind you as it happen I've seen Portsmouth a foew times this season and they have looked crap each time (and that includes when Redknapp was there). They badly miss Muntari.

I thought Jose had a decent game as well, I also thought that Shola did really well when he came on.

Delighted for the back 4 and Shay for keeping 3 clean sheets in our last 4 games. Shay was going mental late on shouting at everyone that he wanted not to concede.

Enrique was ok defensively, still made his usual poor 5yard passes to the opposition though. His confidence was flying at the end of the game though, did you see him take the ball off N'Zogbia's toe up in their corner? Cracking.

Owen was absolute class once again.

Martins was hugely frustrating, lovely finish, nearly scored a wonder goal, but when we needed him to hold the ball up or to roast a defender, he let himself down. To be fair that defender for them, Belhadj(?) was excellent at left back.

Edited by Barney

Is anyone else beginning to think that Owen and Martins might actually work together? :P

They're not a perfect partnership but neither were Shearer and Ferdinand, both are scoring goals though which is what matters.

Martins seems to be setting Owen up with a fair few chances in the games they've partnered each other which is encouraging, his movement has improved when he hasn't got the ball too as he's dragging defenders out of position more which is what someone like Owen benefits from.

13 between them in the league which isn't far behind some of the more high profile partnerships in the Prem.

They're not a perfect partnership but neither were Shearer and Ferdinand, both are scoring goals though which is what matters.

Martins seems to be setting Owen up with a fair few chances in the games they've partnered each other which is encouraging, his movement has improved when he hasn't got the ball too as he's dragging defenders out of position more which is what someone like Owen benefits from.

13 between them in the league which isn't far behind some of the more high profile partnerships in the Prem.

Martins seems to be drifting out on the wing and helping Jonas from time to time too. The cross he supplied for Owen's first real chance was a very good one.

Kinnear deserves some credit too. He seems to have done something no manager in ages has done and made us a more solid outfit at the back. Now he just needs to stop talking shite and stop dicking around with subs and we may be okay this season :panic:

Good analysis, :panic:

I had a feeling all week we would win Yesterday walking up to the ground I was the only one who said outright I thought we would win. No real reason just a hunch! however I did not expect a 3-0 thumping. The Newcastle fans were superb yesterday and the lads did us proud. For all the Newcastle fans who came down from Newcastle, Full credit to you as you must have had to set off at ridiculous o clock to get there! I left the house at 7am and that was early enough for me!

Martins seems to be carrying a knock I feel, he isn't fully fit that goes without saying. Anyone who was at the game would have seen that before he scored he actually signalled to come off, this was about 10 seconds before he scored. Owen was brilliant again had a good game. Guthrie, love the lad! he's nothing flash nothing special he just gets on with the game. You will get the odd mistake/miss-timed pass/broken leg in his game but I don't think you can doubt his commitment.

He looked thoroughly pleased when he came over to the corner and he was met by hoardes of NUFC fans cheering him on! good on the lad!

Edited by Marko

guthrie has impressed me for his attitude, seems a good player as well ( though by no means anything outstanding).

No, but that had to be exepcted. The lad had just played in a relegation battle all season with Bolton and was let go on the cheap by Liverpool. I think he's a good signing, a battler someone we need.

guthrie has impressed me for his attitude, seems a good player as well ( though by no means anything outstanding).

No, but that had to be exepcted. The lad had just played in a relegation battle all season with Bolton and was let go on the cheap by Liverpool. I think he's a good signing, a battler someone we need.

Aye, Ive been impressed by him. Ill hold my hands up now and say WTF when we signed him!

Martins does have the ability to stick them in from way out, plus he's very fast. The combination of the two of them makes it very hard to mark both for the whole game. Owen isn't going to miss in the box and the runs he makes are as good as anyones.

Martins does have the ability to stick them in from way out, plus he's very fast. The combination of the two of them makes it very hard to mark both for the whole game. Owen isn't going to miss in the box and the runs he makes are as good as anyones.

I thought Martins struggled towards the end of his game (before he was subbed) Pace wise he couldnt seem to get away from their back line, even when it looked like he was in behind them. I'm still not convinced he is fully fit

What's that? 4 wins all season and we're 14th? That shows how shit the league is. Which, in all honesty, gives me more confidence than yesterday's performance as far as the rest of the season goes.