Owen offered new deal

tommo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's serious about keeping the club then resigning Owen should be one of the main things he should do..... can't see how he can manager it with the club in limbo still though.

To be honest you can't blame any of the players going out of contract if they stall things, would you tie yourself to a club in limbo and on the verge of relegation?

A bit of an exaggeration like.

Brilliant news that we are actively trying to keep the player but I think it would have to be a very substantial contract here. He is currently on 105k a week And I'd suspect he'd be looking at around £120-£130k a week to consider staying on Tyneside.

But also I think he wants assurances that the club is going in the right direction, Owen doesn't want to be in a relegation battle year after year, Ashley has got to persuade him that the club are going to strengthen and that all this talk of a sale of the club and which manager comes in next dies down.

IMO He will stay

Howcome? There has to be quite a few clubs after him now

Which clubs are going to be able to offer him the money he wants and the first team football he needs to get back into the England squad? None of the big four seem interested/able to offer him first team football, City can get any striker in world football and nee one else can really afford him. Providing we haven't offered him less than he is on at the minute there is a chance that he may stay.

IMO He will stay

Which clubs are going to be able to offer him the money he wants and the first team football he needs to get back into the England squad? None of the big four seem interested/able to offer him first team football, City can get any striker in world football and nee one else can really afford him. Providing we haven't offered him less than he is on at the minute there is a chance that he may stay.

I dont think he will go in January to be honest. Kinnear is spot on. The £4m or so we would get for him wouldn't get us a replacement anywhere near his calibre. But come January he is free to discuss contracts with any other club. I'm sure a few clubs will be looking at him if he's on a free. The guy is on fire! Am I right in thinking both Everton and Villa want him. Villa can afford him that goes without saying and Everton I think would pull out the stops if it means signing a player of Owens brilliance for free.

Owen main priority in football is England, always has been.

With that in mind he will want to go to a club where he is guaranteed first team football as Copello has said he won't pick him otherwise, that will be a sticking point in his mind before going to a top 4 club although I'm not sure any of them will want him anyway, that leaves Spurs, Villa, Everton and Man City.

I don't think he would fit in with Villa's style of play and I can't see MON partnering him with Agbonlahor either, Everton would struggle with his wage and apparently Yakubu is their best paid player on £50k per week, Spurs have a similar wage structure which leaves Man City.

Thinking about it I'd say there's a good chance he will stay but I don't think he would commit to us until later in the season, if he does wan't to go and Man City come in for him then push for Elano in the deal.

IMO He will stay

I dont think he will go in January to be honest. Kinnear is spot on. The £4m or so we would get for him wouldn't get us a replacement anywhere near his calibre. But come January he is free to discuss contracts with any other club. I'm sure a few clubs will be looking at him if he's on a free. The guy is on fire! Am I right in thinking both Everton and Villa want him. Villa can afford him that goes without saying and Everton I think would pull out the stops if it means signing a player of Owens brilliance for free.

I don't think Villa can afford him. Lerner seems to be running a fairly tight ship moneywise and I can't see them breaking the bank for Owen. I can't see Kenwright allowing Moyes to go for Owen either since he wants out of the club.

With that in mind he will want to go to a club where he is guaranteed first team football as Copello has said he won't pick him otherwise, that will be a sticking point in his mind before going to a top 4 club although I'm not sure any of them will want him anyway, that leaves Spurs, Villa, Everton and Man City.

I don't think he would fit in with Villa's style of play and I can't see MON partnering him with Agbonlahor either, Everton would struggle with his wage and apparently Yakubu is their best paid player on £50k per week, Spurs have a similar wage structure which leaves Man City.

Thinking about it I'd say there's a good chance he will stay but I don't think he would commit to us until later in the season, if he does wan't to go and Man City come in for him then push for Elano in the deal.

It may depend on how Man City do in January - if they go for stupid people like Torres or a bit lower but it doesn't work out and it gets to the last couple of days without "satisfaction" then they may go for him.

I have a feeling Owen may sign a new contract but it aill have clauses that allow escape if someone he fancies comes in.

IMO He will stay

I don't think Villa can afford him. Lerner seems to be running a fairly tight ship moneywise and I can't see them breaking the bank for Owen. I can't see Kenwright allowing Moyes to go for Owen either since he wants out of the club.

I disagree, Lerner seems to say the money is there if you want it, they spent pretty big in the summer just gone they signed davies, sidwell, luke young, milner, friedel etc. They spent well over £20m in all, Didn't accept any bids for Barry. I think the only player they sold was Luke Moore!

It may depend on how Man City do in January - if they go for stupid people like Torres or a bit lower but it doesn't work out and it gets to the last couple of days without "satisfaction" then they may go for him.

I have a feeling Owen may sign a new contract but it aill have clauses that allow escape if someone he fancies comes in.

Arent City in discussions for David Villa?

IMO He will stay

I disagree, Lerner seems to say the money is there if you want it, they spent pretty big in the summer just gone they signed davies, sidwell, luke young, milner, friedel etc. They spent well over £20m in all, Didn't accept any bids for Barry. I think the only player they sold was Luke Moore!

There's a difference between signing those players who are on fairly low wages and spunking £100k+ a week up the wall on one player.

IMO He will stay

There's a difference between signing those players who are on fairly low wages and spunking £100k+ a week up the wall on one player.

Oh I agree, but if you sign Owen for free on £120k a week. You have a player who is currently scoring a goal every other game for £6,240,000 a season. and no transfer fee. I think a club who are really pushing for a top four place would seriously consider and offer for a player who has a good record for NUFC