Owen offered new deal

tommo

Talksport reckon hes willing to go to another club for less than £80kpw on a money for goals basis

The editor of the sporting life said that on talksport, which is a bit different, and he was taking a guess, the same as any punter on here. Steve Bruce got it right, he said only if he gets a stupid ie 10 mill offer for Heskey would he consider selling Heskey in January,and aonly if he can find a decent replacement....and JFK said much the same at the weekend. I think he's ours till the summer, but after that who knows?

Steve Bruce has a chairman/owner who supports his manager and understands football as an ex pro.

World of difference between that and a fuckwit like Ashley has been so far.

110% correct

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talksport reckon hes willing to go to another club for less than £80kpw on a money for goals basis

The editor of the sporting life said that on talksport, which is a bit different, and he was taking a guess, the same as any punter on here. Steve Bruce got it right, he said only if he gets a stupid ie 10 mill offer for Heskey would he consider selling Heskey in January,and aonly if he can find a decent replacement....and JFK said much the same at the weekend. I think he's ours till the summer, but after that who knows?

Steve Bruce has a chairman/owner who supports his manager and understands football as an ex pro.

World of difference between that and a fuckwit like Ashley has been so far.

110% correct

I'd be inclined to agree with you and on the evidence Ashley has presented so far, anything could happen.Indeed,in reality the Owen "horse" may have bolted the NUFC stable months ago. But there is a contract on the table, Ashley seems to have finally realised that Owen is the best player we have and our best insurance against relegation. All of which KK told him, but there you go. No one is going to bid 10mill for Owen next month,not when he can be got for nothing in June. The club in its present financial situation will find themselves a lot better off being in the premier league next season (with or without Owen) than taking a couple of million for the player in January and being relegated, and I think even Ashley has realised that.

I'd like to see him play for the next 20 games on the trot or more and then enter into a new contract," he said.

"The most important thing is that he's available for selection every week and we can control it."

"Whether that means we lose him at the end of the day or not is non-negotiable because if it happens it happens but we want to see him fit, playing and scoring on a regular basis.

David Craig on SSN now saying he hasn't rejected the offer and that his advisors are still looking at the contract.

I'm guessing that will be the stance for about 6 weeks.

Owens rejected suggestions that he's holding out for a big contract from City etc...... Believe him?

David Craig on SSN now saying he hasn't rejected the offer and that his advisors are still looking at the contract.

Owens rejected suggestions that he's holding out for a big contract from City etc...... Believe him?

wheres that about ?

wheres that about ?

read it earlier online it was off newsnow think it was the shields gazette or summit?

Bruce Rules Out Owen Signing

---------------

Wigan boss Steve Bruce has dismissed rumours suggesting he is planning a move for Newcastle striker Michael Owen.

Owen's future has been the subject of constant speculation with his current contract due to expire in the summer.

Wigan tried to sign Owen before he joined Newcastle on his return from Real Madrid and reports have suggested they could rekindle their interest in the England international when the transfer window reopens next month.

However, Bruce concedes it is highly unlikely they would be able to afford a deal for Owen.

"I know the chairman is a fan of Michael Owen, but I don't think we could afford his wages," Bruce told the Wigan Evening Post.

"As far as signings are concerned, we haven't got anything really signed and sealed as people have been led to believe.

"I think this is arguably as good a team as this club has ever had, I can say that genuinely after being here more than a year.

"So it's difficult to improve it at the moment, very difficult, so we have to be careful with who we bring in."

------------------

www.skysports.com

One of the more funny rumours? Christ I think we will struggle to keep hold of him but I dare say im not worried Wigan will take him off our hands!

I do as it happens, I suspect it iwll hinge on things like relegation, goal bonus and what happens if a big team come in for him

Put a clause in the contract which says if we go down, then we'll tear up the new contract and he can go for Free anyway. That way nobody loses, we give him a new contract and if we go down, then we would have lost him for Free anyway had he not signed the contract, and it also means Owen's not concerned about signing a new 4-year contract or whatever and then end up being stuck in a team who's been relegated.

Put a clause in the contract which says if we go down, then we'll tear up the new contract and he can go for Free anyway. That way nobody loses, we give him a new contract and if we go down, then we would have lost him for Free anyway had he not signed the contract, and it also means Owen's not concerned about signing a new 4-year contract or whatever and then end up being stuck in a team who's been relegated.

I like this idea actually, put a relegation release clause of £10m or so in his contract, should keep him happy

I like this idea actually, put a relegation release clause of £10m or so in his contract, should keep him happy

£10M?? :aye:

Not a chance.

If we're relegated with the fifth highest wage bill in the league we'll not be able to get more than a pack of backy for ANY of them.

Not a chance.

If we're relegated with the fifth highest wage bill in the league we'll not be able to get more than a pack of backy for ANY of them.

Leeds got some decent wedge for their players when they went down iirc.

Nah, I just meant if we go down this May, he can go for Free. After that it'll just be his regular contract.

Nah, I just meant if we go down this May, he can go for Free. After that it'll just be his regular contract.

id just put a relegation release clause in it anyway to be honest. shows we're not tieing him down to NUFC should we be relegated

Not a chance.

Looking at who they sold, they cleared out everyone before they went down. £7M for Smith, £3.6M for Milner, £5M for Kewell and a couple of others.

After relegation they let loads go for free (Matteo, Barmby, Harte, Mills, Hignett, Duberry, Deane, Pressman etc). The only person they got anything for was Viduka (£4.5M).

Not a chance.

Looking at who they sold, they cleared out everyone before they went down. £7M for Smith, £3.6M for Milner, £5M for Kewell and a couple of others.

After relegation they let loads go for free (Matteo, Barmby, Harte, Mills, Hignett, Duberry, Deane, Pressman etc). The only person they got anything for was Viduka (£4.5M).

Smith was crying on the pitch in the match they went down wasn't he?

Edit: Sure we bought Milner in the summer too.

Edited by alex

Not a chance.

They only ended up getting £3m for Kewell didn't they? After his agent and him took a huge slice of it.

BTW is he playing in Turkey nowadays?

Not a chance.

Smith was crying on the pitch in the match they went down wasn't he?

Edit: Sure we bought Milner in the summer too.

Aye, Soccerbase does it odd. Thought they did it by season...

Before relegation

Danny Hay Walsall Free 10-07-2002

Rio Ferdinand Man Utd £ 30000000 22-07-2002

Robbie Keane Tottenham £ 7000000 31-08-2002

Craig Farrell Carlisle Nominal 22-11-2002

Lee Bowyer West Ham £ 100000 08-01-2003

Robbie Fowler Man City £ 6000000 30-01-2003

Jonathan Woodgate Newcastle £ 9000000 31-01-2003

Caleb Folan Chesterfield Free 15-02-2003

Shane Cansdell-Sherriff Aarhus Nominal 26-06-2003

Harry Kewell Liverpool £ 5000000 09-07-2003

Olivier Dacourt Roma £ 3500000 10-07-2003