Owen offered new deal

tommo

Well what do people think Owen is worth now? providing he keeps fit for the most of this season and carries on his goal scoring record and being English? I'd reckon he's worth around £15m taking all the above into account. If we went down we wouldn't get his full value, no, but we could certainly slap a £10m price tag on his head and with his goals to games record for NUFC, coupled with the fact he's a big signing we will get offers from him!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only ended up getting £3m for Kewell didn't they? After his agent and him took a huge slice of it.

BTW is he playing in Turkey nowadays?

Yea, hes doing quite well. Scoring a few goals here and there and staying out of injury.

Michael Owen moves closer to new deal at Newcastle

George Caulkin

Having sat down with Michael Owen for lengthy discussions this week, Joe Kinnear has expressed optimism that the England striker will remain at Newcastle United for the remainder of his career. After persuading Mike Ashley, the owner, to fund a new contract worth £18 million over the next four years, the manager has been heartened by the player’s response although, as ever, there are notable contradictions.

Kinnear, the Newcastle interim manager, stated yesterday that Owen had informed him he would make a decision on his future “in the next couple of days” which, on the face of it, sounds unlikely. After allowing the 29-year-old to run down his present deal, which expires at the end of the season, Newcastle will not be able to prevent him from negotiating personal terms with other clubs next month.

In the circumstances — Newcastle are still up for sale and beset by instability, with Kinnear’s own contract only stretching until the summer — it would be understandable if Owen’s representatives chose to keep their options open, even if most clubs would struggle to match the £90,000-a-week offer. Kinnear said that Ashley has not imposed a deadline for an agreement to be reached.

Everton have been pursuing Owen — who earns £115,000 a week on Tyneside — but their highest-paid player commands a weekly wage of only £45,000 and while Manchester City would not balk at the forward’s demands, their transfer policy is not straightforward. In the light of the financial climate, Newcastle have been generous, although the club’s approach to the issue has been incoherent and slow.

Owen has started just 46 league matches since his £16 million transfer from Real Madrid in August 2005 and Newcastle’s offer of a three-year deal, with a fourth dependent on him appearing in 50 per cent of matches the previous season, is a reflection of his injury record. According to Kinnear, Owen was “delighted with the length of time”. A week ago, Kinnear was playing down the possibility of Owen staying on Tyneside, but mixed messages are now ingrained at the club. “He \ said he was very happy here but like everyone else, I suppose, he will go back and negotiate with Mike \ and Derek Llambias \ and then they will put it to bed. I’m not going to say he will sign but I think he will.”

He rated the odds at “60/40.” Kevin Keegan, the former manager, made repeated requests for Owen’s future to be secured, but Ashley sanctioned only a 12-month offer worth £80,000-a-week in the days that immediately preceded the departure of Kinnear’s predecessor. “I didn’t see any value in that, so I just said to Michael, ‘What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?’ And he said ‘Yes, I’d be delighted.’ ”

Kinnear is adamant that a commitment from Owen would benefit both club and player. “If he signs it will help me in everything else that I’m trying to do,” he said. “That’s the thinking. The more top-class players you have at a club, the more players are prepared to join. It makes it easier.

“If he does stay, it can help him get back into England. He will help himself. He is looking sharp, scoring goals. It will not be long before he is in the England side. Fabio \ has said he will come and have a look at him. The problem has been that when they have had a look, he has not been at his best, he has been coming back into the team after being injured and has had disappointing matches.”

Kinnear said that Nicky Butt, Shola Ameobi and Steve Harper are all close to signing new contracts, but Newcastle are losing the services of Richard Money, their academy director, after only six months in the job. Money is set to be named as the new manager of Swindon Town.

Kevin Keegan, the former manager, made repeated requests for Owen’s future to be secured, but Ashley sanctioned only a 12-month offer worth £80,000-a-week in the days that immediately preceded the departure of Kinnear’s predecessor.

It'd be very interesting to really know what went on during Keegan's time here.