Pope: Save the world from gays

LeazesMag

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could do with a few bonfires/burnings at the moment, what with the cold! I've got a few snorkers to cook and some marshmallows to singe whilst we sing around the fires.

Would it help the world if we chucked on a few Jews as well - after the homs and Catholics have gone out ??

We could do with a few bonfires/burnings at the moment, what with the cold! I've got a few snorkers to cook and some marshmallows to singe whilst we sing around the fires.

Would it help the world if we chucked on a few Jews as well - after the homs and Catholics have gone out ??

You've been paying far too much attention to the C4 Christmas speech. :icon_lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the Muslims / Senegalese aren't too fond of a bit of bum fun either.

Shock at Senegal gay jail terms

The jailing in Senegal of nine gay men for eight years over "indecent conduct and unnatural acts" has been condemned by an international gay rights group.

Homosexual acts are illegal in Senegal but the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) told the BBC it was "shocked by the ruling".

The judge added three years to a five-year sentence, saying the men were also members of a criminal group.

Most of them belonged to an association set up to fight HIV and Aids.

"This is the first time that the Senegalese legal system has handed down such a harsh sentence against gays," said Issa Diop, one of the men's four defence lawyers.

Mr Diop said he would be appealing against the sentences.

The IGLHRC's Cary Alan Johnson said he was "deeply disturbed" by the case.

"There have been pretty consistent human rights violations… in Senegal," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme from Cape Town in South Africa.

"But the extremity of this sentence [and] the rapidness of the trial all really shocks us in a country which has been moving so positively towards rule of law and a progressive human rights regime."

The head of a gay rights organisation in Senegal told AFP news agency that the situation for gay people in the country was getting worse.

"Many gays are already fleeing to neighbouring countries because of our living conditions," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Senegal is a predominantly Muslim country and gay men and women remain socially marginalised.

Mr Alan Johnson said Senegal was "schizophrenic" in its attitudes.

Religious attacks on gay and lesbian people were on the increase, he said.

While Senegal recently played host to a major conference on Aids and sexually transmitted diseases, where "the needs of men who have sex with men were prominently featured", he said.

"There's both a movement towards progressive and inclusive culture but at the same time very, very strong movements towards oppression, specifically towards sexuality," he added.

In February 2008, a magazine editor received death threats after publishing pictures claiming to depict a wedding ceremony between two men.

Several men were also arrested in connection with the publication but later released.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7817100.stm

That would be a ridiculous thing to show respect for imo.

I don't agree with it (although I respect his right to say it), but if he'd been from certain other groups saying exactly the same thing (or worse) there'd have been either some seriously studious ignoring of it, and/or active apologism/support for it. ;)

Just seen this. I actually meant showing respect for gay Catholics trying to lead a celibate life, i.e. living a lie (in reference to the post before mine).

• 1 year later...
Questions are being raised about whether Pope Benedict was personally involved in covering up a case of child sex abuse by a Roman Catholic priest.

Documents seen by the New York Times newspaper allege that in the 1990s, long before he became Pope, he failed to respond to letters about a US case.

Fr Lawrence Murphy, of Wisconsin, was accused of abusing up to 200 deaf boys.

Defending itself, the Vatican said US civil authorities had investigated and dropped the case.

For more than 20 years before he was made Pope, Joseph Ratzinger led the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith - the Vatican office with responsibility, among other issues, for the Church's response to child abuse cases.

Allegations that the Church sought to cover up child abuse by Catholic priests in Europe have haunted the Vatican for months.

'So friendly'

The documents seen by the New York Times suggest that in 1996, the then Cardinal Ratzinger twice failed to respond to letters sent to him personally.

They concerned the Rev Lawrence Murphy, who worked at a Wisconsin school for deaf children from the 1950s.

Three archbishops of Wisconsin were told Fr Murphy was sexually abusing boys but those allegations were not reported to civil authorities at the time.

Alleged victims quoted by the New York Times gave accounts of the priest pulling down their trousers and touching them in his office, his car, his mother's country house, on class excursions and fund-raising trips, and in their dormitory beds at night.

"If he was a real mean guy, I would have stayed away," said Arthur Budzinski, 61, a former pupil of at St John's School for the Deaf, in St Francis, in the Diocese of Milwaukee.

"But he was so friendly, and so nice and understanding. I knew he was wrong, but I couldn't really believe it."

According to the New York Times, Fr Murphy was quietly moved to the Diocese of Superior in northern Wisconsin in 1974, where he spent his last 24 years working freely with children in parishes and schools. He died in 1998, still a priest.

Two lawyers have filed lawsuits on behalf of five men alleging the Archdiocese of Milwaukee did not take sufficient action against the priest.

One of the lawyers, Jeff Anderson, told the Associated Press news agency that the documents they had obtained on Fr Murphy, and shown to the New York Times, showed the Vatican was more concerned about possible publicity than about the abuse allegations.

"Instead of removing him from the priesthood, they just gave him a free pass," he said.

'Tragic case'

The Pope's official spokesman, Federico Lombardi, called it a "tragic case" but pointed out that the Vatican had become involved only in 1996, after US civil authorities had dropped the case.

"During the mid-1970s, some of Fr Murphy's victims reported his abuse to civil authorities," the Rev Lombardi said in a statement.

"The Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith was not informed of the matter until some 20 years later."

The Milwaukee diocese was asked to take action by "restricting Father Murphy's public ministry and requiring that Father Murphy accept full responsibility for the gravity of his acts", the Rev Lombardi added.

He also said that Fr Murphy's poor health and a lack of more recent allegations had been factors in the decision not to defrock him.

But the Vatican's decision not to carry out its own investigation is the question that brings the now Pope's own involvement centre stage, says BBC religious affairs correspondent Christopher Landau.

Victims of sexual abuse by priests have long argued that the Church has been more interested in protecting its reputation and helping its priests than seeking justice for victims, our correspondent adds.

Fr Murphy died in 1998, with - in the Church's view - no official blemish on his priestly record.

But questions about why Cardinal Ratzinger failed to respond to concerns being raised by American archbishops still demand answers, our correspondent says.

And such questions mean that this sexual abuse crisis continues to have an impact at the very highest level in the Roman Catholic church, he adds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8587082.stm

In 2002, the John Jay report tabulated a total of 4392 priests and deacons in the U.S. against whom allegations of sexual abuse were considered by their diocese to have been "substantiated".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases

Why can't these fuckers be in the same jail as Ian Huntley?

The worthless shower of CUNTS should be making up for it by ENCOURAGING non-breeding sex.

Ah but the real reason the catholic church is so anti-homosexual sex isn't because of a moral reason - its practical - it means less chance of new recruits. This is the same reason they are against heterosexual non-reproductive sex even in marriage.

As George Carlin said its all about the numbers.

Of course it should go without saying that over-population is infinitely more of a threat to the planet than a few gays.

That's the same with most all religion though.

Catholic, Anglican (everywhere but the West, anyway) & Islam certainly.

Disturbing lack of smilies from you fop, you feeling alright mate?

Hmm, i wonder why that was?

In 2001 he insisted every case was passed to him - imo that makes him repsonsible for any cover up since that date.

They've just changed the law to prevent "frivolous" prosecutions for prosecutions brought by members of the public against foreign vistotors - I'd love to force the CPS to tale a look at his personal involvement before he arrives in September.

Vatican attacks media on 'Pope role' in sex abuse cases

The Vatican has attacked the media over charges that the Pope failed to act against a US priest accused of abusing up to 200 deaf boys two decades ago.

A Vatican newspaper editorial said the claims were an "ignoble" attack on the Pope and that there was no "cover-up".

A strongly worded Vatican newspaper editorial said there was "no cover-up" over the case, which was reported in Thursday's edition of the New York Times.

L'Osservatore Romano labelled the allegations "clearly an ignoble attempt to strike at Pope Benedict and his closest aides at any cost".

Meanwhile, one of the Pope's top aides, Cardinal Jose Saraiva Martins, told reporters there was "a conspiracy" against the Church, without specifying who was responsible.

The Pope was also supported in the UK by the Archbishop of Westminster, Vincent Nichols, who said the then Cardinal Ratzinger had not been an "idle observer" in the case.

Writing in the Times, the Archbishop also said the Pope had introduced changes into Church law to protect children.

He has yet to comment on his handling of a child sex abuse case involving a German priest, which developed while Benedict was overseeing the Munich archdiocese.

The Rev Peter Hullermann had been accused of abusing boys when the now Pope approved his 1980 transfer to Munich to receive psychological treatment for paedophilia.

The disgraced priest was convicted in 1986 of abusing a youth, but stayed within the Church for another two decades.

Quite aside from how outrageously angry the whole thing should make any normal human being, it's just incredibly sad. You wonder how many thousands - tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands? - of kids', and therefore adults', lives have been fucked up by these evil bastards around the world and over time. ;)

Quite aside from how outrageously angry the whole thing should make any normal human being, it's just incredibly sad. You wonder how many thousands - tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands? - of kids', and therefore adults', lives have been fucked up by these evil bastards around the world and over time. ;)

The thing is all of these scandals are breaking in the first world where the media, the internet and "decent" justice systems are all doing their best (though could do a lot better for example prosecuting the Irish bishops).

My sympathy is for the thousands who will being abused in the third world with impunity - probably for decades to come.

I would have a lot of problems with the Catholic Church even if not one person had ever been touched - however this issue is almost a "magic bullet" in what I hope will be its downfall - though obviously that doesn't mean I'm glad people were abused.

The thing is all of these scandals are breaking in the first world where the media, the internet and "decent" justice systems are all doing their best (though could do a lot better for example prosecuting the Irish bishops).

My sympathy is for the thousands who will being abused in the third world with impunity - probably for decades to come.

I would have a lot of problems with the Catholic Church even if not one person had ever been touched - however this issue is almost a "magic bullet" in what I hope will be its downfall - though obviously that doesn't mean I'm glad people were abused.

It's not just the Catholic Church though, it's becoming obvious that these things seemed to be happening everywhere in the 70s and 80s, in liberal, anti-authoritarian 'reform schools' as well as in Catholic institutions (in Germany and Switzerland in any case). I'm not condoning the horrible acts of Catholic priests in any way, but it's clear that the Catholic Church always has and always will make for an easier target than other institutions.

It's not just the Catholic Church though, it's becoming obvious that these things seemed to be happening everywhere in the 70s and 80s, in liberal, anti-authoritarian 'reform schools' as well as in Catholic institutions (in Germany and Switzerland in any case). I'm not condoning the horrible acts of Catholic priests in any way, but it's clear that the Catholic Church always has and always will make for an easier target than other institutions.

Yeah any system where control over kids is entrusted with an organisation is vulnerable to bad apples. I think the CC deserves the abuse because of their supposed moral superiority.

It just shows how corruption erodes all vast monolithic institutions. I'm no fan of Catholicism, it's past is littered with persecution, and abuse of all kinds, and it is far too domineering and arrogant. All the covering up of the padeophile priests just highlights how such an institution thinks itself above the law.

On Stephen Nolan's show in Northern Ireland some prick called Dooley who is in the Church in Ireland said he would not feel compelled to tell the police if he heard that a priest was doing things to kids. In fact he said he absolutely wouldn't alert the authorities. Makes you wonder why people buy into something that believes itself to be above the law, and would happily let your children be violated without your knowledge. And has a fucking Nazi as it's boss.

It's a dysfunctional organisation based on a weird sexual taboos - no ownder ist a hot bed (sorree) of Paedophiles and misogynists

Time for another Reformation?

It just shows how corruption erodes all vast monolithic institutions. I'm no fan of Catholicism, it's past is littered with persecution, and abuse of all kinds, and it is far too domineering and arrogant. All the covering up of the padeophile priests just highlights how such an institution thinks itself above the law.

On Stephen Nolan's show in Northern Ireland some prick called Dooley who is in the Church in Ireland said he would not feel compelled to tell the police if he heard that a priest was doing things to kids. In fact he said he absolutely wouldn't alert the authorities. Makes you wonder why people buy into something that believes itself to be above the law, and would happily let your children be violated without your knowledge. And has a fucking Nazi as it's boss.

A friend told me about him saying that and i obviously thought the guy is an absolute prick and i'd happilly see him sent to prison for a good arse raping so he feels even a fraction of the suffering the kids go through. I did also think though, you can't fault his honesty as most of them would cover it up or not tell the cops but they wouldn't admit to it like this cockend did.