2007/08 Wigan (a) lost 0-1

2006/07 Bolton (a) lost 1-2

2005/06 Liverpool (a) lost 0-2

2004/05 Blackburn (a) drew 2-2

2003/04 Leicester (a) drew 1-1

2002/03 Bolton (a) lost 3-4

1997/98 Derby (a) lost 0-1

1996/97 Blackburn (a) lost 0-1

1995/96 Man U (a) lost 0-2 (moved to Dec 27th)

1994/95 Leeds (a) drew 0-0

1993/94 Chelsea (a) lost 0-1 (moved to Dec 28th)

1989/90 Stoke (a) lost 1-2

1988/89 Sheff Weds (a) won 2-1

Wigan_athletic_new_badge.pngnewcastle_united.gif

Wigan (from): Kirkland, Taylor, Bramble, Scharner, Boyce, Figueroa, Valencia, Cattermole, Brown, Palacios, Koumas, Camara, Zaki, Heskey, Melchiot, Kilbane, Pollitt, Kingson, De Ridder, Cywka.

Newcastle (from): Given, Harper, Beye, Enrique, N,Zogbia, Bassong, Coloccini, Taylor, Cacapa, Edgar, Butt, Guthrie, Duff, Gutierrez, Geremi, Owen, Viduka, Carroll, Xisco, LuaLua.

Wigan Manager Steve Bruce

_44583605_bruce_ap300.jpg

Newcastle United Manager Joe Kinnear

87_KINNEAR_____inte_396552a.jpg

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Wigan and Newcastle is a mid-table match-up between two sides locked together on 22 points immediately below the halfway line, third and fourth respectively in the Premier League's "Last Six Current Form" table.

Wigan are looking to maintain a 100% home winning record against Newcastle in the Premier League with a fourth successive victory over them on home soil.

The Latics also need a victory to achieve their best winning home run in Premier League history. Everton, West Brom and Blackburn all left the JJB without a point in the last three matches to be played there.

Newcastle are unbeaten in six in league outings, and are looking to give manager Joe Kinnear an early birthday present of three points, the day before he turns 62.

The Latics have won two of their three Premier League Boxing Day fixtures; the Magpies have lost their last three and not won in six.

Prior to the 2-2 draw at St James' Park in November, all six previous Premier League meetings between these clubs had resulted in victory for the club playing at home.

Distance between the clubs: 157 miles (253 kilometres)

Newcastle are making the longest journey of any Premier League club this Boxing Day.

CLUB FORM

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Club stats

11th 22 points

Highest achievable: 8th

Lowest could fall mathematically: 17th

Best & Worst categories in 2008-09 Premier League

1. Won three of four Premier League games, and lost one of seven; the defeat being 1-0, away to Arsenal on 6 December.

2. Failed to score in seven league games this season.

3. Scored only nine goals, and conceded nine in their nine home league matches.

4. End the year with a North-West derby, away to Bolton on Sunday.

Fixtures

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Club stats

12th 22 points

Highest achievable: 8th

Lowest could fall: 17th

Best & Worst categories in 2008-09 Premier League

1. Won four of 12 Premier League matches under Joe Kinnear, and lost only two.

2. Drawn four and won two of the last six, since losing 2-1 away to Fulham on 9 November; their only defeat in nine.

3. Not won three Premier League games on the bounce since Fulham (h), Tottenham (a) and Reading (a) were beaten between 22 March and 5 April last season.

4. Kept clean sheets in each of their last three on the road, and not conceded in 294 minutes (four hours 54 minutes) of Premier League football away from St James', since Danny Murphy's winning 66th minute penalty for Fulham on 9 November.

5. Not won a Boxing Day fixture since Middlesbrough were eclipsed 3-0 at St James' Park in 2001.

6. Not won in eight visits to the North-West, since returning from Bolton with a 1-3 victory on 11 August 2007, the opening day of last season.

7. End the year with a highly attractive fixture, home to Liverpool on Sunday.

Fixtures

KEY PLAYER NOTES

WIGAN ATHLETIC

Squad profiles

Ryan TAYLOR scored the winner in both of Wigan's last two 1-0 home wins over Newcastle, and also opened the scoring in last month's reverse fixture.

Maynor FIGUEROA is the only remaining player to have started every one of Wigan's Premier League matches this season.

If selected:-

Emile HESKEY will be making his 450th career league appearance (Leicester, Liverpool, Birmingham and Wigan).

Emmerson BOYCE will be making his 100th career Premier League appearance (Crystal Palace and Wigan).

Titus BRAMBLE will be facing a former club. The 27 year old defender made 157 appearances (105 in the league) and scored seven goals (three league) for Newcastle between July 2002 and his free transfer to Wigan in June 2007.

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Squad profiles

Shay GIVEN and Fabricio COLOCCINI have played every minute of every one of Newcastle's Premier League matches this season.

Michael OWEN has scored two goals in three appearances against Wigan.

If he scores:-

Shola AMEOBI will take his total of goals for Newcastle to 50.

If selected:-

AMEOBI will be making his 250th club career appearance (Newcastle and Stoke).

HEAD TO HEAD

The reverse fixture in November was the first time these clubs had drawn against each other since their first ever meeting; an FA Cup third round tie at St James's Park on 9 January 1954 which ended 2-2, before the Magpies put out the then non-leaguers 2-3 in the replay.

Steve Bruce has won three of 12 games as a manager against his boyhood club Newcastle, including two of the last three; a 1-0 win at the JJB Stadium last December and a 5-1 FA Cup win at St James' Park with Birmingham in 2007.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Wigan 3 win, Newcastle 3, Draws 1

Prem: Wigan 3 win, Newcastle 3, Draws 1

at Wigan only

League (inc PL): Wigan 3 wins, Newcastle 0, Draws 0

Prem: Wigan 3 wins, Newcastle 0, Draws 0

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Wigan Athletic 1-0 Newcastle United

26 December 2007 - Ref: Mike Dean

Wigan scorer: Taylor 65

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Newcastle United 2-2 Wigan Athletic

15 November 2008 - Ref: Andre Marriner

Newcastle scorers: Owen 80, Martins 87

Wigan scorers: Taylor 3, Bramble 89

Sent Off: Boyce (Wigan) 54

REFEREE

Mike Dean (Wirral)

Premier League referees' table

Mike Dean's 2008-09 Premier League card count

<_<

Newcastle United vs Wigan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jonas' head might just explode with the excitement if he scored a goal, he could barely take an assist in against Aston Villa!

Rewatching the Spurs match on MOTD2 I noticed how fucking excited he got when Duff scored :lol:

Oh, and i'd take a draw at the JJB considering we go there every year and fail to perform, inevitably losing 1-0. Usually to a Ryan Taylor goal <_<

Edited by Ketsbaia

I think Jonas' head might just explode with the excitement if he scored a goal, he could barely take an assist in against Aston Villa!

I think he's the player most fans would love to see get a goal, and imagine if it was an injury time winner he'd banged in!

I don't think he'll get many mind as his one big weakness seems to be a complete lack of power whenever he does shoot, but hopefully he'll get one in soon.

I love Gutierrez's excitement, shows his love for the team tbh.

And my head would explode if he scored!!!

Im calling a 2-0 win, owen and viduka to score.

Early goal 1st half...late goal second half.

Glass is half full!

Glass is half full!

Hid for about 75% of the match v. Spurs imo.

Glass is half full!

Hid for about 75% of the match v. Spurs imo.

Gutierrez or Viduka? lol

I wouldnt say "hid" he didnt do a great deal but he worked hard as always and tbf to him ALOT of our play was going down the left.

He is due a goal.

2nd half he never even tried to beat his fullback and he didn't make himself available very often when Beye had the ball. He looks like a good player, especially one in a new league etc. but the praise he gets at times is ridiculous. Viduka was class when he came on btw.

Must be a good few years since we last won a game on Boxing Day, i'd settle for a point.

.com:

:lol:<_<

2nd half he never even tried to beat his fullback and he didn't make himself available very often when Beye had the ball. He looks like a good player, especially one in a new league etc. but the praise he gets at times is ridiculous. Viduka was class when he came on btw.

I disagree.

I think whereas Jonas was lacking his normal flair and he wasn't trying to beat his man as normal I think he put in a good shift.

and Viduka was decent at times but he is the most frustrating player sometimes, the amount of times you hear ''run you fat c**t'' is unreal. :lol:

i think in the next couple of months duff will make the left mid position his own, but for sat "the zogg" deserves his place and will start! we seem to be getting really strong competition for places!

hopefully, enrique will keep valencia quiet, stop him and you normally stop wigan, the forwards rely on his service.

wasnt able to get to the match on sat, did the zogg provide cover for enrique? could see from the highlights jonas did for beye makes a big difference!

Must be a good few years since we last won a game on Boxing Day, i'd settle for a point.

.com:

:outahere::icon_lol:

:o fuck me thats 20 years ago..........it snowed at half time whilst we were singing along to "real gone kid" by deacon blue..........and Rob MacDonald got the winner! :)

went to Wigan last season and I said for the first time in 30 years after that game that I wasnt going back after the cup game at Stoke and Manu at OT for which I already had tickets......but then Sam got sacked and KK came back and eventually all was right in the world....for a while anyway :outahere:

I actually fancy us more at home to Liverpool than I do at Wigan......draw for me and hope to collect 3 points v the bin dippers on Sunday :lol: