Man City after Owen

peasepud

MANCHESTER CITY will test Mike Ashley’s resolve by making a £4million bid for Michael Owen.

City manager Mark Hughes has been handed a staggering £40m to spend in the January sales and is determined to increase his side’s firepower.

West Ham striker Craig Bellamy is also on the City shopping list.

Owen has made it clear he is happy to stay at St James’ Park until his contract runs out at the end of the season.

But Newcastle owner Ashley fears Owen won’t sign the new four-year deal he’s been offered and is loathe to see him leave the club on a free transfer during the summer.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear is desperate to cling on to Owen until the end of the season.

But Hughes believes Owen’s experience could be vital as he tries to build a squad capable of living up to expectations of the club’s rich Arab owners.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/1120...-OWEN-RAID.html

:unsure:

MANCHESTER CITY will test Mike Ashley’s resolve by making a £4million bid for Michael Owen.

City manager Mark Hughes has been handed a staggering £40m to spend in the January sales and is determined to increase his side’s firepower.

West Ham striker Craig Bellamy is also on the City shopping list.

Owen has made it clear he is happy to stay at St James’ Park until his contract runs out at the end of the season.

But Newcastle owner Ashley fears Owen won’t sign the new four-year deal he’s been offered and is loathe to see him leave the club on a free transfer during the summer.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear is desperate to cling on to Owen until the end of the season.

But Hughes believes Owen’s experience could be vital as he tries to build a squad capable of living up to expectations of the club’s rich Arab owners.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/1120...-OWEN-RAID.html

:unsure:

Bye EMO.

I expect Owen would make far more money out of a free transfer at the end of the season. Not that it's all about the money of course, he'd have more choice of clubs potentially too. So I can't see him leaving just cos Fat Mike fancies a quick buck

I expect Owen would make far more money out of a free transfer at the end of the season. Not that it's all about the money of course, he'd have more choice of clubs potentially too. So I can't see him leaving just cos Fat Mike fancies a quick buck

I think that's the only thing working on our favour (short-term anyway).

Edited by Fop

I think I counted his touches today on one hand. Hes not intersted at the minute. Every striker likes to have balls laid on for him but if the team is struggling you need to muck in yourself and not just walk back and forward across the defensive line with twisty look on your face.

Im not sure we would even miss him atm if we sold him in January!

There was a piece in this months The Mag, and it said that Owen is a terrible captain, offers absolutely zero to the team if he's not scoring, and has taken Shearer's mantle of being undropable.

Hard to disagree in my opinion.

Save from the inevitable goals he would score against us and the prestige of having such a big name player I tend to agree that he may be a luxury that we cannot afford to carry - his movement is still great but he has lost a lot of pace and power and frankly looks like he would rather be anywhere else but on the pitch - might be a different story if you could feed him chance after chance but that requires the team to be built around him and with his injury record it is a hell of a risk

With the lack of passing in our team he can be a waste of time at time but look at the alternatives and you see how much we need his goals.

What we need to do is buy a midfield but I'm sure that will be missed again in January while we spend fortunes on cover for the fullbacks (which I conceed is needed when you see Edgar and N'Zogbia there).

With the lack of passing in our team he can be a waste of time at time but look at the alternatives and you see how much we need his goals.

What we need to do is buy a midfield but I'm sure that will be missed again in January while we spend fortunes on cover for the fullbacks (which I conceed is needed when you see Edgar and N'Zogbia there).

Some good common sense there. How the fuck Owen becomes the scapegoat after yesterday is beyond me. Sums up how clueless some of our fans are though.

Some good common sense there. How the fuck Owen becomes the scapegoat after yesterday is beyond me. Sums up how clueless some of our fans are though.

How does it? Duff was shit too but at least he ran his bollocks off, closed down, worked the flanks. Owen was embarrassing yesterday along with both of our CBs

How does it? Duff was shit too but at least he ran his bollocks off, closed down, worked the flanks. Owen was embarrassing yesterday along with both of our CBs

Chomp.

Chomp.

Put me doon for a bite as well.

Owen ran around a bit yesterday.

Kuyt ran around a bit yesterday as well.

However, Kuyt had his midfielders flooding forward en massse at every opportunity supporting him. Nuff said.

Our problem is central midfield, not Michael Owen, not the back four, not the wingers .(imo).

Owen ran around a bit yesterday.

Kuyt ran around a bit yesterday as well.

However, Kuyt had his midfielders flooding forward en massse at every opportunity supporting him. Nuff said.

Our problem is central midfield, not Michael Owen, not the back four, not the wingers .(imo).

In a nutshell really.

That said, yesterday's defence was a problem. The two centre-halves were awful. Apart from when it comes to pointing, obviously. Agree that central midfield is a big problem for us though.

• 2 weeks later...
The Daily Express reports that the 29-year-old has held talks with City officials and manager Mark Hughes in recent weeks, and agreed to join the richest club in the world if they avoid relegation.

Owen has so far refused to sign a contract extension at St James' Park despite being offered an additional 12 months. The report claims that City are offering a three-year deal worth £90,000-a-week.

Owen has only score 29 goals for Newcastle since his £16 million transfer from Real Madrid, and with the opportunity to leave on a Bosman transfer it seems Joe Kinnear's best option could well be to cash-in on him now.

Kinnear has made no secret of the fact that all his players are dispensable provided the right offer comes along, and club owner Mike Ashley recently said he wants to dispose of players who want to leave to make way for fresh, young talent.

Last month Owen announced he would defer any decision on his future until the end of the season. Amid rumours of monetary demands he said he was happy to take a pay-cut and asked that fans did not consider him delaying as being disloyal.

"Following speculation about my future at Newcastle United, I have decided today to make it clear that I am committed to the club until at least the end of this season, and I have informed them I do not want to make a decision about my future until that time," he said.

"I hope this will be seen as a positive step and not seen as being disloyal in any way.

"My decision is not about money. I told the club some months ago that I would accept a reduction in my wages."

Newcastle also stand to lose Charles N'Zogbia who is interested in a move to Arsenal and Joey Barton who is wanted by Portsmouth and Bolton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ester-City.html

This raises two questions for me, firstly why wait? if City are the richest club in the world and want him then why take the chance on not buying him now?

Secondly and more worryingly what happens when a ) we play City and b ) if it gets to the end of the season and what we do affects them, how would he react? worst case scenario, last game of season win we stay up and relegate City, lose or draw and we go down instead. Would you play him? Can anyone guarantee that he will be professional?

Im not calling his reputation here but just how professional are people when their future career is on the line?

Owen is gone, there is no way he will sign another contract with us. There is no way we he should be sold in this window as his goals may be the difference between premiership and championship football next season

Get rid of moaning fucker Zog if anyone wants to pay 8-9 mil for him, Geremi needs to be fucked off, especialy after yesterdays lesson in how not to take a dead ball kick.

We need to get a couple of full backs and another CM, we aint gonna get world beaters but we need 100% ers who are not scared to graft if we are to stay up