Shay Given

smoggeordie

Whilst I think its out of order for that little mercenary shit owen to be holding us to ransom after giving us about 1 game in 3 over the last 3 years, I wont blame Given if he leaves. Best keeper in the league and deserves better than us after the oustanding service he has given us over the last 5 seasons

Didn't see the incident, but surely what a load of bullshit him getting a yellow. 5-1 with seconds to go. Yeah nice one ref! fucking jobsworth.

Kicked the ball into where the old SKY boxes used to be. Fully deserved the yellow. But a magnificent display today. Three outstanding saves in first 20 minutes.

I thought the ref was excellant today and reffed it how it used to be reffed years ago. Other refs would have been booking shitloads today.

we are so lucky to have him and he has been a great servant to newcastle united and i feel he will never leave us and he is up there with the greats. name a better keeper for nufc

Didn't see the incident, but surely what a load of bullshit him getting a yellow. 5-1 with seconds to go. Yeah nice one ref! fucking jobsworth.

Kicked the ball into where the old SKY boxes used to be. Fully deserved the yellow. But a magnificent display today. Three outstanding saves in first 20 minutes.

I thought the ref was excellant today and reffed it how it used to be reffed years ago. Other refs would have been booking shitloads today.

He could have easily sent Taylor off as well for the "challenge" on Reina.

Considering Ashley's a penny pinching cunt, I'm worried.

We seem to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all but 5m for Shay, 4m for Owen, 6m for N'Zogbia plus the 1m each they will take for Butt and Harper and Ashley will be rubbing his hands together seeing 20m in his pocket.

I hope I'm wrong but somehow I just don't think so.

And you just know somewhere in it all they are going to blame having to pay KK his wedge as part of their justification.

We seem to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all but 5m for Shay, 4m for Owen, 6m for N'Zogbia plus the 1m each they will take for Butt and Harper and Ashley will be rubbing his hands together seeing 20m in his pocket.

And you just know somewhere in it all they are going to blame having to pay KK his wedge as part of their justification.

Serious question, but who have we sold under Ashley that's suggested "penny pinching".

We bought and sold Rozehnal & Faye for pretty much the same fee, remember seeing somewhere we actually made a profit on Emre, and let's face it, we ripped Villa off for Milner and West Ham for Dyer & Parker. (remember when we agreed a fee with them, then Ashley cancelled it increasing the price at the last-minute and eventually won that battle).

For all of his criticisms, selling players at knock down prices hasn't been one of them.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Serious question, but who have we sold under Ashley that's suggested "penny pinching".

We bought and sold Rozehnal & Faye for pretty much the same fee, remember seeing somewhere we actually made a profit on Emre, and let's face it, we ripped Villa off for Milner and West Ham for Dyer & Parker. (remember when we agreed a fee with them, then Ashley cancelled it increasing the price at the last-minute and eventually won that battle).

For all of his criticisms, selling players at knock down prices hasn't been one of them.

No I didn't say knock down prices, I said penny pinching cunt.

TBH I don't think I can beat this explaination by pud and yes he's talking about the future of the club but I think you'll find it applies to all who's contract he owns.

Because that is the Mike Ashley business model, he buys a business, sells off all its good assets then replaces them with average, cheap goods which he then sells on at a profit later on. I dont necessarily think they will buy duds but what I do believe they will not do is buy proven world class players at the top of their game. Everything has a price tag in the Ashley world, everything and that price is not necessarily set at the "fuck me you'd be an idiot not to sell at such a profit level". A profit is a profit to MA. He will try and squeeze as much out of each player as possible. Buy them in cheap, offer low wages (meaning we attract less quality), build up their profile and sell on for 2 or 3 million profit, repeat until fade.....
Edited by sammynb

Manchester City join the race for Shay Given

Manchester City are reported to have joined Arsenal and Tottenham in the race to poach goalkeeper Shay Given away from Newcastle United.

Given is the third goalkeeper to be linked with a move to the Eastlands club after nothing came from reported interest in Juventus' Gianluigi Buffon and Villareal's Diego Lopez.

Described by Steven Gerrard as "world-class" over the weekend, despite letting five goals in against Liverpool, the Independent reports that Given is now the No 1 goalkeeping target on Mark Hughes' list.

Joe Hart is currently first choice at City, but at only 21-years-old his relative inexperience counts against him. And with City struggling to claw themselves out of the bottom half of the table, this may well be what Hughes is anticipating will help in January.

Given certainly comes with experience. The 32-year-old made his 459th appearance for Newcastle over the weekend, having been with the club since 1997.

The third most capped player in the club's history, Given is believed to have become disillusioned in light of the developments since Kevin Keegan's departure.

Hughes would be expected to pay as much as £5 million for Given, which, to a club like Manchester City, would be a drop in the ocean.

Given aside, Hughes is believed to have made a joint offer of £15m to land West Ham duo Craig Bellamy and Scott Parker.

The City manager has also been linked with a host of top players - Blackburn’s Roque Santa Cruz and Stephen Warnock remain potential arrivals.