Oh woe is Anal

peasepud

HE man himself has never been shy of using the odd cliche, so I'll not stand on ceremony now . . .

Thing is, you see, I reckon Newcastle United fans will only know what they had in Alan Oliver now that he's gone.

Any player who racked up 1100-odd appearances for the Magpies across three decades would be immortalised in stone on Northumberland Street.

Yet, for some, familiarity with Olly, who covered at least that many Newcastle league games for the Evening Chronicle, our sister paper, seemingly bred contempt.

So to say my colleague is long overdue his due, as he filed his final Chronicle match report today, is an understatement.

First off, a suggestion: if you are one of those who have contributed to the dog's abuse Alan has received from certain Newcastle supporters, most notably in recent years, then go online and read some other local evening newspapers.

Actually, go read any other local evening newspaper -- for any significant length of time.

Then, you might begin to appreciate the service Alan Oliver has provided Newcastle's public these last 28 years.

You see, other local evening papers rarely, if ever, break big stories involving their local football clubs.

Injuries, suspensions, post-match reaction . . . such is their bread and butter.

Oliver? He all but single-handedly fed Chronicle readers a richer diet . . . of transfer exclusives, dressing-room disharmony, boardroom bust-ups and more -- and for nigh on 30 years.

While never claiming to be the best sportswriter around, he was a sports reporter -- a story-getter -- extraordinaire.

So much so that his tales came to be faithfully retold in the following day's national newspapers. Every day.

Where the London tabloids lead, most local papers merely follow. Up here, thanks to Olly, the opposite was true.

The flip side of which was that, after almost three decades, many took his story-breaking ability for granted, especially at times when they felt Newcastle's mounting off-field problems demanded more critical coverage than he provided.

Alan would acknowledge that he was often not as forthright as others in bemoaning boardroom failings at United, particularly in the Hall/Shepherd era.

But his was a newspaper which had played an active role in installing that regime.

And the relationships Oliver formed as a result -- relationships which earned him an incomparable string of exclusive United stories, an unrivalled insight into St James's Park and which are as rare as hen's teeth between genuine club insiders and journalists in a now "them and us" climate.

Alan lived and breathed the job; his working hours -- rising at stupid o'clock to be in the office at first light, waiting on players and managers outside dark and chilly football grounds when the last fan was back home -- an acknowledgement of his privileged position.

If you still insist that conscience should have come before contacts, then I guess you haven't had more than 8000 Chronicle back pages to fill since 1980.

And if you still condemn Alan Oliver as an apologist, you're not one of the innumerable players who have baulked at his criticism over the years, let alone one of the 14 Newcastle managers who, to a man, have done the same.

Say what you like about his club politics, but Alan always called it like he saw it on the pitch.

So farewell then, Mr Newcastle. I doubt we'll see your like again.

One day, more Newcastle United fans might regret that fact.

http://www.newcastlebanter.co.uk/2008/12/w...ss-mr-newc.html

MR Newcastle????? Fuck off Farrington you tool, no doubt you'll soon be taking his place as the most reviled "Newcastle" journalist going. :unsure:

Oliver? He all but single-handedly fed Chronicle readers a richer diet . . . of transfer exclusives, dressing-room disharmony, boardroom bust-ups and more -- and for nigh on 30 years.

While never claiming to be the best sportswriter around, he was a sports reporter -- a story-getter -- extraordinaire.

:unsure:

Is it the end of this week that Brett Emerton is signing??

Who else fancied the idea of Don Hutchinson in our midfield? (he must have heard that Hutchhison was going to sign from someone at SJP and thought he would throw it in to sound as if he was an expert. Unfortunate, for him, that DH didn't sign)

'Wide of the mark' :unsure::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Olly is a shite journalist and writer.

He only got the 'transfer exclusives' because he was so far up the arse of Shepherd he was probably able to listen through the walls of his stomach when Fat Fred met with the manager. The way he bumlicks the small amount of players that will give him an interview is sickening an'aal, Taylor being a perfect example.

He's a creep. An arsehole. Fair play to Robert for walloping him.

I love the fact that the author basically admits that Oliver is lacking in principles and conscience and that he's not a very good writer. :unsure: Is that not exactly what the fans that detest him have been complaining about?

To be fair to Oliver, he did have a lot of stories that no-one else had. The annoying thing about him was how important he thought he was and how that came across in every single one of his articles. "My understanding is", "X and Y called me to say", the Shearer analogies he came out with the other day ("just a miner's son from Consett") - it's just ridiculous!

I remember him being slaughtered on messageboards for trying to suggest that business dealings (transfers) were being conducted via Wise / Jiminez etc.

Yes, he was a twatful person and his credibilty for me waned when the Club was going to shit and he totally didn't do his job in critisizing those responsible. Having his own column in the match program probably meant a HUGE conflict of interest.

does this mean he has gone? i seriously hope so he is the most inept journo EVER! i cant believe he has picked his wages up for the last 5 years because he hasnt wrote anything of any calibe in that time... Neil Farrington is another one, the "mackem" *******

Basically done the fans a massive disservice by being the clubs mouthpiece when what we have needed is someone to hold the club to account and highlight mismanagement. The exact opposite of what he should have been.

Fuck off you porridge faced cunt.

Basically done the fans a massive disservice by being the clubs mouthpiece when what we have needed is someone to hold the club to account and highlight mismanagement. The exact opposite of what he should have been.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Apologies, Farrington you sorry bastard, but I don't think anyone who has supported the club for the last 2 years let alone the last 28 could ever consider Alan pissing Oliver anything but a fawning apologist whose writing is as poor as his sense of responsibility for the club. When we needed someone to really hold the Shepherd and Ashley reigns to account he failed us. Just putting in shitty and biased match reports and doing arse-licking interviews with some of our players doesn't make you a sort of journalistic iconoclast who got the London press to follow his stunning work.

What a load of bollocks, piss off Oliver.