Israel continues its merciless pounding of the defenceless.

Park Life

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I am wondering if woke culture has also contributed. I was surprised to see HF basically ignore those comments from Parky and I feel like overall we might have been pushed towards greater sensitivity in language choices over the past ten years, across the board.

Ignoring Parky’s comments is a good strategy in general tbf 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Ignoring Parky’s comments is a good strategy in general tbf 

I think he gave up on the 'climate change is a myth perpetuated by Big Nature' before he left, so that's progress, right?

7 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I reckon he’s being anally probed, on his way to the Andromeda Galaxy, as we speak.  

I expect you’re half right...

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Is it? Could just legitimise the far right. Not sure really, a 'watch this space' moment IMO.

if it means the end of netanyahu, yes. this bennett bloke is an obvious loon, but it'll be a national unity government propped up by politicians from across the spectrum, possibly even an islamist arab MP!

23 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

if it means the end of netanyahu, yes. this bennett bloke is an obvious loon, but it'll be a national unity government propped up by politicians from across the spectrum, possibly even an islamist arab MP!

Aye, but part of the deal is that this right-wing loon gets first dibs at being PM, and then, of course, he’ll willingly hand over power to the left. 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS61wFUjoCDYSaiyy8BmtS

11 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, but part of the deal is that this right-wing loon gets first dibs at being PM, and then, of course, he’ll willingly hand over power to the left. 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS61wFUjoCDYSaiyy8BmtS

Not even the left actually, the centrist candidate takes over in a couple of years and he is a self-declared “security hawk”. So don’t expect any significant change any time soon. Getting rid of Bibbi is baby steps in the right direction though 

I'm not entirely sure there is a right direction here tbh. Natanyahu might be one of the causes of the recent mess but he's not the overall cause of the whole situation.

He’s a major obstacle to progress and has been for over a decade. As long as he clings to power nothing changes. This new national unity government isn’t the answer to anything but it might be the first step towards one day getting somewhere close to where we were in the late 90s, at least on the Israeli side. Hamas needs to go too before we can even dream of anyone sitting around the negotiating table again. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I don't think it'll end until Israel has "cleansed" the whole West Bank either through displacement or death.

Not that we should stop trying to resolve it in less devastating fashion.

i hope not and i don't think that would ever end the violence, or that it's in israel's interests, as it would just create a situation like we used to have in northern ireland. 

remember that israeli settlements in gaza were pulled down and communities evicted when it withdrew in 2005. we have to hope that a future leadership will do the same in the west bank and east jerusalem. there is a consensus among most israelis and palestinians for a return to 67 borders - we just need political leaders brave enough to stand up to the headbangers. the first step is getting rid of the likes of netanyahu and hamas. it's a long road, but we got close in the 90s. it seems hopeless now, but i don't see how the fighting will ever stop otherwise. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i hope not and i don't think that would ever end the violence, or that it's in israel's interests, as it would just create a situation like we used to have in northern ireland. 

remember that israeli settlements in gaza were pulled down and communities evicted when it withdrew in 2005. we have to hope that a future leadership will do the same in the west bank and east jerusalem. there is a consensus among most israelis and palestinians for a return to 67 borders - we just need political leaders brave enough to stand up to the headbangers. the first step is getting rid of the likes of netanyahu and hamas. it's a long road, but we got close in the 90s. it seems hopeless now, but i don't see how the fighting will ever stop otherwise. 

Well, you're clearly better informed on the internal politics of Israel than I am - if it truly is just headbangers on either side that need to be dispensed with so that a mature centreground of opinion can be reached then maybe there is hope. But I've seen so many videos now of ordinary Israeli and Palestinian people actively hating each other that I'm struggling to believe it myself. I suppose journalists go looking for the hate specifically, but even so.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Well, you're clearly better informed on the internal politics of Israel than I am - if it truly is just headbangers on either side that need to be dispensed with so that a mature centreground of opinion can be reached then maybe there is hope. But I've seen so many videos now of ordinary Israeli and Palestinian people actively hating each other that I'm struggling to believe it myself. I suppose journalists go looking for the hate specifically, but even so.

There is plenty of hate on both sides - you’re not wrong there. 

This is an interesting thread, particularly the bit about how this bizarre anti-Netanyahu coalition might lead to more political engagement among Israeli arabs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Rayvin locked this topic