Israel continues its merciless pounding of the defenceless.

Park Life

Previously unseen raw footage from the Mavi Marmara will be formally released at a press conference at the United Nations later in the day. The footage shows the mood and the activities on board the Mavi Marmara in the time leading up to the attack, and the immediate reaction of the passengers during the attack.

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/6/10/excl...es_out_video_of

clearly israel has committed atrocities and some of its actions have been indefensible.

however, the point about the relative global uproar against the israeli atrocities compared with other nations is a valid one

Lefties in general love knocking Israel while giving Muslims a bit of an easy ride - I think because they see right wing anti-muslim feeling as something to be opposed.

I on the other hand see religious fuckwittery on both sides which I have no respect for so tend to call cuntery on both sides (or at least I try to).

yeah, that's what i'm getting at. i'm a liberal but i find it ironic that israel is always the bad guy and a lot of the arab nations - and the islamofascists within them - get an easy ride by many lefties that don't want to come across like they read the daily mail.

the truth is, the israeli government doesn't do itself any favours but israelis in general aren't about to start blowing themselves up in public places and flying planes into buildings.

Nah, they just lob a load of missiles from helicopters at houses in order to kill one terrorist and then try to cover up any 'collateral damage'.

I agree that those who ignore what Hamas etc. have done an do are fools, as both sides are twattish to say the least. To summarise my view, Israelis and Palestinians should all be nuked, or all shipped off to St. Helena, and civilised people should be left to live in that area. If they can't play nicely someone should take their ball away.

Nah, they just lob a load of missiles and phosphorous bombs from helicopters and state of the art F15/18's at houses in order to kill one freedom fighter (who might not even be there) and then try to cover up the slaughter of many women and children. They shoot holes in water trucks, steal land, and tightly control basic needs. They hamper the red cross, attack UN schools and demolish houses that Palestinians have been living in for generations and have legal deeds for. They totally destroy the Palestinina economy and steal water supplies and arable farming land where Jews from all over the world come to live, carry guns and itimidate the last few Palestinians living there. In return Hamas get to fire a few home made rockets blindly anywhere which cause proportionatly very little damage. The world looks on like nowt happenned. It is genocide by stealth of a whole people and their livelehoods.

I agree that those who ignore what Hamas etc. have done an do are fools, as both sides are twattish to say the least. To summarise my view, Israelis and Palestinians should all be nuked, or all shipped off to St. Helena, and civilised people should be left to live in that area. If they can't play nicely someone should take their ball away.

FYP

clearly israel has committed atrocities and some of its actions have been indefensible.

however, the point about the relative global uproar against the israeli atrocities compared with other nations is a valid one

The uproar is so vociferous because Israel is able to act with impunity. If it got its wrist slapped properly once in a while then you wouldn't see such an outpouring of anti Israel sentiment. When people see that absolutely bugger all is being done yet again by the international community the next time they accidently murder a handful of civvies the shouts will be louder still.

In the grand scheme of things uproar means little. Other pariah states rightly have much more to worry about than angry members of the public.

Lefties in general love knocking Israel while giving Muslims a bit of an easy ride - I think because they see right wing anti-muslim feeling as something to be opposed.

I on the other hand see religious fuckwittery on both sides which I have no respect for so tend to call cuntery on both sides (or at least I try to).

yeah, that's what i'm getting at. i'm a liberal but i find it ironic that israel is always the bad guy and a lot of the arab nations - and the islamofascists within them - get an easy ride by many lefties that don't want to come across like they read the daily mail.

Classic strawman stuff tbh. Avoiding the issue at hand.

Edited by alex

well, i've already said many times in this thread that i'm no israel apologist - i'm as critical as the likud's policies as anyone. but i do find the somewhat hysterical response to some of israel's actions to be overdone, especially the latest incident with the flotilla.

israel is a sovereign state, a civilised western democracy and quite the opposite to many of the states that surround it that for some reason the left in the uk often sympathise with.

well, i've already said many times in this thread that i'm no israel apologist - i'm as critical as the likud's policies as anyone. but i do find the somewhat hysterical response to some of israel's actions to be overdone, especially the latest incident with the flotilla.

israel is a sovereign state, a civilised western democracy and quite the opposite to many of the states that surround it that for some reason the left in the uk often sympathise with.

You've already said that. And you clearly are an Israeli apologist tbh.

You've already said that. And you clearly are an Israeli apologist tbh.

i'll have to tell my mother that someone called me that next time i see her; it make her laugh.

I sympathise with the people of Palestine and what is being done to them in the name of Israeli 'security'. I don't sympathise with states such Iran, Syria, Egypt etc. You don't seem to be able to recognise the difference between the two.

I sympathise with the people of Palestine and what is being done to them in the name of Israeli 'security'. I don't sympathise with states such Iran, Syria, Egypt etc. You don't seem to be able to recognise the difference between the two.

israel and egypt have set up the blockade around gaza precisely to stop the flow of weapons from iran and syria into gaza to help hamas militants continue to fire rockets into israel. israel allows humanitarian aid through. the reason the idf soldiers boarded the ship was top check for weapons. if iot had docked, like the rest, the aid would have been got through and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

israel and egypt have set up the blockade around gaza precisely to stop the flow of weapons from iran and syria into gaza to help hamas militants continue to fire rockets into israel. israel allows humanitarian aid through. the reason the idf soldiers boarded the ship was top check for weapons. if iot had docked, like the rest, the aid would have been got through and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

As I've already pointed out to you in this thread their definition of humanitarian aid is pretty strict. They allow medical supplies but don't allow building materials, educational supplies and so on. Keep spewing out the propaganda though.

As I've already pointed out to you in this thread their definition of humanitarian aid is pretty strict. They allow medical supplies but don't allow building materials, educational supplies and so on. Keep spewing out the propaganda though.

talking of propaganda, isn't it strange that reuters decided to crop a pic of a man on the flotilla standing over an idf soldier armed with a knife, given the contoversy over whether the men on the flotilla were armed?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/08/re...test=latestnews

there is propaganda on both sides, that's the point. i think the idf used excessive force but unlike many, i don't always see israel as playing the role of the bad guy. there are two sides to this story.

Edited by Dr Gloom

talking of propaganda, isn't it strange that reuters decided to crop a pic of a man on the flotilla standing over an idf soldier armed with a knife, given the contoversy over whether the men on the flotilla were armed?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/08/re...test=latestnews

t's probably the commandos own knife. biggrin.gif

Captured soldiers were handed back with minor inj, on the other side 9 people were killed and 12 injuered some with head wounds.

See the differance?

there is propaganda on both sides, that's the point. i think the idf used excessive force but unlike many, i don't always see israel as playing the role of the bad guy. there are two sides to this story.

Serioulsy mate, I respect your point of view, but what DO Israel have to do to get your condemnation?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs...gazaimports.pdf

That's the full list of what's allowed in and that is it. That's not propaganda. Saying the ships could have docked in Israel or Egypt and the stuff would have been allowed in is however. Because a lot of stuff wouldn't have been. That's stuff which is needed to help the Palestinians get back to some semblance of normal life. Can you give me a good reason why tinned fruit should be banned by the way? It's a fucking disgrace and I'm ashamed this country is party to it.

Also outlined here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7545636.stm

Edited by alex

Serioulsy mate, I respect your point of view, but what DO Israel have to do to get your condemnation?

i thought the timing of the 2008 assualt on gaza was outrageous, the large scale civilian casualties were shocking and could have been avoided if the strikes had taken place at night instead of during the day.

but again, i can see two sides. gaza had launched over 50 rocket attacks into israel in the days leading up to the strikes. what was israel to do? just allow hamas to continue firing rockets? it has the legitamacy to defend its borders. if welsh separatists suddenly started firing rockets into herefordshire, i'm pretty sure the english military would act too. :icon_lol:

i think the way israel acts (or often reacts) can be excessive and it is rightly criticsed. but i also find much of the criticism against it excessive.

i also think israel shot itself in the foot by killing those those 8 or so people recently on the boat. when they are provoked, they act with a heavy hand. that is regretful but there is no doubt to me that they were provoked. the people on that boat knew what they were doing.

i thought the timing of the 2008 assualt on gaza was outrageous, the large scale civilian casualties were shocking and could have been avoided if the strikes had taken place at night instead of during the day.

but again, i can see two sides. gaza had launched over 50 rocket attacks into israel in the days leading up to the strikes. what was israel to do? just allow hamas to continue firing rockets? it has the legitamacy to defend its borders. if welsh separatists suddenly started firing rockets into herefordshire, i'm pretty sure the english military would act too. :icon_lol:

i think the way israel acts (or often reacts) can be excessive and it is rightly criticsed. but i also find much of the criticism against it excessive.

i also think israel shot itself in the foot by killing those those 8 or so people recently on the boat. when they are provoked, they act with a heavy hand. that is regretful but there is no doubt to me that they were provoked. the people on that boat knew what they were doing.

It's disingenuous to blame Hamas for the breakdown of the tahdia. Israel were the first to draw weapons.

That's the full list of what's allowed in and that is it. That's not propaganda. Saying the ships could have docked in Israel or Egypt and the stuff would have been allowed in is however. Because a lot of stuff wouldn't have been. That's stuff which is needed to help the Palestinians get back to some semblance of normal life. Can you give me a good reason why tinned fruit should be banned by the way? It's a fucking disgrace and I'm ashamed this country is party to it.

i agree that not letting a lot of basic stuff through is disgraceful. but you can also see that they do let a lot of basic food supplies in from the link you posted.

i think another big criticism of the likud policy on gaza is that by restricting so much stuff into the strip they are contributing to the terrible living conditions and only adding to the anti-israeli sentiment there and increasing sympathy for hamas.

i agree that not letting a lot of basic stuff through is disgraceful. but you can also see that they do let a lot of basic food supplies in from the link you posted.

i think another big criticism of the likud policy on gaza is that by restricting so much stuff into the strip they are contributing to the terrible living conditions and only adding to the anti-israeli sentiment there and increasing sympathy for hamas.

How awfully good spirited of them. :icon_lol: FoD

It's disingenuous to blame Hamas for the breakdown of the tahdia. Israel were the first to draw weapons.

israel withdrew from gaza in 2005 but hamas still continued to fire rockets into israel. hamas wants the violence to continue. they don't want a peaceful solution, they want the end of israel.

yes i have sympathy for the innocent palestinians that are caught in the middle but israel is fighting a war against an enemy that doesn't recignise its right to exist.

it's worth noting also that while idf attacks on gaza often end up by killing innocent civilans, they target hamas military targets. hamas suicide bombers and rocket attacks only target innocent civilians.

israel withdrew from gaza in 2005 but hamas still continued to fire rockets into israel. hamas wants the violence to continue. they don't want a peaceful solution, they want the end of israel.

yes i have sympathy for the innocent palestinians that are caught in the middle but israel is fighting a war against an enemy that doesn't recignise its right to exist.

it's worth noting also that while idf attacks on gaza often end up by killing innocent civilans, they target hamas military targets. hamas suicide bombers and rocket attacks only target innocent civilians.

Debatable.

A ceasefire came into force on June 19 2008. In under 48 hours Israel had broke the conditions of it five times. There's also a lot of evidence to suggest that Hamas were doing their level best to stop rocket attacks into Israel and only commenced them full scale when Israel moved into Gaza on November 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Beirut warns Israel against ship attack

Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:59:34 GMT

Font size : [increase] [Normal] [Decrease]

The Julia, one of the two ships planning a trip to Gaza at a port in the northern city of Tripoli

As a Lebanese aid convoy is preparing to set sail for the Gaza Strip, Beirut says Tel Aviv would be held accountable for any attack against the vessel.

In a letter to the United Nations on Tuesday, Lebanon's Foreign Ministry said "Israel will be held fully responsible for any attack on Lebanon," AFP reported.

Lebanon "cannot prohibit a ship from leaving its ports if its cargo, passengers and destination all comply with Lebanese law."

The letter came after the Israeli ambassador to the United Nations sent a letter to the UN, threatening that it would use "all necessary means" to stop the Gaza-bound aid convoy.

Earlier on Monday, Lebanese authorities granted permission for one of the two ships, the Julia, to sail to Cyprus and then to Gaza. With Lebanon and Israel technically still at war, the ship cannot directly sail for the Gaza Strip.

The aid mission comes as Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned earlier that Lebanon would be responsible for any confrontation with vessels sailing to Gaza from its shores.

The ships, which have been organized by the Free Palestine Movement, would be carrying humanitarian supplies for the besieged people of Gaza.

The pro-Palestinian campaigners planned the mission after Israeli commandos stormed the Gaza Freedom Flotilla aid convoy on May 31, killing at least several civilian activists and injuring dozens of others in international waters.

AGB/CS/MMN

• Rayvin locked this topic