Israel continues its merciless pounding of the defenceless.

Park Life

• 1 month later...
The UN secretary general has announced an investigation into an Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound aid convoy on 31 May which killed nine Turkish activists.

It will be led by former New Zealand PM Geoffrey Palmer and outgoing Colombian President Alvaro Uribe and include an Israeli and a Turkish member.

The group will begin work on 10 August, Mr Ban said.

Israel's cabinet has reportedly agreed to co-operate, but it is not clear to what extent, correspondents say.

It's this kind of rapid response and tough action that makes the UN so effective.

:)

Edited by Happy Face

it does show that the situation there isn't always quite as awful as the western media makes out though alex.

Tbh Dan, I don't think they make it out to be that bad in general. If anything I think it's largely forgotten about.

it does show that the situation there isn't always quite as awful as the western media makes out though alex.

How does a western video with western subtitles by a western blogger posted on a western website show us something not often reported in the west?

Shall I edit together footage of US citizens going about their business and having a good time and write sarcastic subtitles about how much they're suffering at the hands of the terrorists?

Did anyone see the debate about Israel on BBC1 on Sunday morning btw? I employed some 'self-censorship' after about 5 minutes but I couldn't help wondering if Suzanna Reid (I think that's her name) put a bit too much emphasis on the 3rd syllable in the phrase 'With all due respect...'

No? Just me then.

• 1 month later...

Has it been mentioned that the UN report has come out on the floatilla attack....

Report of the international fact-finding mission to investigate

violations of international law, including international

humanitarian and human rights law, resulting from the

Israeli attacks on the flotilla of ships carrying humanitarian

assistance

Conclusion

The attack on the flotilla must be viewed in the context of the ongoing problems

between the Government of Israel and the Palestinian Authority and people. In

carrying out its task, the Mission was exposed to the depth of conviction on both sides

of the correctness of their respective positions. Similar disasters are likely to reoccur

unless there is a dramatic shift in the existing paradigm. It must be remembered that

might and strength are enhanced when attended by a sense of justice and fair play.

Peace and respect have to be earned, not bludgeoned out of any opponent. An unfair

victory has never been known to bring lasting peace.

261. The Mission has come to the firm conclusion that a humanitarian crisis existed

on the 31 May 2010 in Gaza. The preponderance of evidence from impeccable sources

is too overwhelming to come to a contrary opinion. Any denial of this cannot be

supported on any rational grounds. One of the consequences flowing from this is that

for this reason alone the blockade is unlawful and cannot be sustained in law. This is

so regardless of the grounds on which one seeks to justify the legality of the blockade.

262. Certain results flow from this conclusion. Principally, the action of the Israel

Defense Force in intercepting the Mavi Marmara on the high seas in the circumstances

and for the reasons given was clearly unlawful. Specifically, the action cannot be

justified in the circumstances even under Article 51 of the Charter of the United

Nations.

263. Israel seeks to justify the blockade on security grounds. The State of Israel is

entitled to peace and security like any other. The firing of rockets and other munitions

of war into Israeli territory from Gaza constitutes serious violations of international

law and of international humanitarian law. But any action in response which

constitutes collective punishment of the civilian population in Gaza is not lawful in

any circumstances.

264. The conduct of the Israeli military and other personnel towards the flotilla

passengers was not only disproportionate to the occasion but demonstrated levels of

totally unnecessary and incredible violence. It betrayed an unacceptable level of

brutality. Such conduct cannot be justified or condoned on security or any other

grounds. It constituted a grave violation of human rights law and international

humanitarian law.

265. The Mission considers that several violations and offences have been

committed. It is not satisfied that, in the time available, it has been able to compile a

comprehensive list of all offences. However, there is clear evidence to support

prosecutions of the following crimes within the terms of article 147 of the Fourth

Geneva Convention:

• Wilful killing;

• Torture or inhuman treatment;

• Wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health.

The Mission also considers that a series of violations of Israel’s obligations under

international human rights law have taken place, including:

• Right to life (art. 6, International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights);

• Torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment (art.

7, International Covenant; Convention against Torture);

• Right to liberty and security of the person and freedom from arbitrary arrest

or detention (art. 9, International Covenant);

• Right of detainees to be treated with humanity and respect for the inherent

dignity of the human person (art. 10, International Covenant);

• Freedom of expression (art. 19, International Covenant).

The right to an effective remedy should be guaranteed to all victims. The mission must

not be understood to be saying that this is a comprehensive list by any means.

266. The Mission notes that the retention by the Israeli authorities of unlawfully

seized property remains a continuing offence and Israel is called upon to return such

property forthwith.

267. The perpetrators of the more serious crimes, being masked, cannot be

identified without the assistance of the Israeli authorities. They reacted in a violent

manner when they thought that anyone was attempting to identify them. The Mission

sincerely hopes that there will be cooperation from the Government of Israel to assist

in their identification with a view to prosecuting the culpable and bringing closure to

the situation.

268. The Mission is aware that this is not the first time that the Government of

Israel has declined to cooperate with an inquiry into events in which its military

personnel were involved. On this occasion the Mission accepts the assurances of the

Permanent Representative of Israel that the position which he was directed to defend

was in no way directed towards the members of the Mission in their personal

capacities. It is nonetheless regrettable that, on yet another occasion of an enquiry into

events involving loss of life at the hands of the Israeli military, the Government of

Israel has declined to cooperate in an inquiry not appointed by it or on which it was

significantly represented.

269. The Mission regrets that its requests to the Permanent Mission of Israel for

information were not entertained. The reason initially given was that the Government

of Israel had established its own independent panel of distinguished persons to

investigate the flotilla incident. The Mission was told that for that reason, and also

because the Secretary-General had announced the establishment of another

distinguished panel with a similar mandate, that “an additional Human Rights

Council initiative in this regard [are] both unnecessary and unproductive”.

270. The Mission did not agree with that position and for that reason suggested to

the Permanent Representative of Israel that he should direct to the Council and not

the Mission a request that the Mission defer submitting its report to permit other

enquiries to complete their tasks. The Mission has not received any direction from the

Council to date and considers that it would have been obligated to respond positively

to any such directive from the Council.

271. In the light of the fact that the Turkel Committee and the Secretary-General’s

panel have not concluded their sittings, the Mission will refrain from any remarks

which are capable of being construed as not allowing those bodies to complete their

tasks “unfettered by external events”. The Mission confines itself to the observation

that public confidence in any investigative process in circumstances such as the

present is not enhanced when the subject of an investigation either investigates himself

or plays a pivotal role in the process.

272. Elsewhere in this report the Mission has referred to the fact that it found it

necessary to reinterpret its mandate because of the manner in which the resolution

appointing it was couched. It is important in the drafting of matters of the sort that

the impression is not given of the appearance of any prejudgment. The Mission took

particular care at the first opportunity to indicate that it interpreted its mandate as

requiring it to approach its task without any preconceptions or prejudices. It wishes to

assure all concerned that it has held to that position scrupulously.

273. All the passengers on board the ships comprising the flotilla who appeared

before the Mission impressed the members as persons genuinely committed to the

spirit of humanitarianism and imbued with a deep and genuine concern for the

welfare of the inhabitants of Gaza. The Mission can only express the hope that

differences will be resolved in the short rather than the long term so that peace and

harmony may exist in the area.

274. Nine human beings lost their lives and several others suffered serious injuries.

From the observations of the Mission, deep psychological scars have been inflicted by

what must have been a very traumatic experience not only for the passengers but also

the soldiers who received injuries. The members of the Mission sympathize with all

concerned and in particular with the families of the deceased.

275. The Mission is not alone in finding that a deplorable situation exists in Gaza. It

has been characterized as “unsustainable”. This is totally intolerable and

unacceptable in the twenty-first century. It is amazing that anyone could characterize

the condition of the people there as satisfying the most basic standards. The parties

and the international community are urged to find the solution that will address all

legitimate security concern of both Israel and the people of Palestine, both of whom

are equally entitled to “their place under the heavens”. The apparent dichotomy in

this case between the competing rights of security and to a decent living can only be

resolved if old antagonisms are subordinated to a sense of justice and fair play. One

has to find the strength to pluck rooted sorrows from the memory and to move on.

276. The Mission has given thought to the position of humanitarian organizations

who wish to intervene in situations of long-standing humanitarian crisis where the

international community is unwilling for whatever reason to take positive action. Too

often they are accused as being meddlesome and at worst as terrorists or enemy

agents.

277. A distinction must be made between activities taken to alleviate crises and

action to address the causes creating the crisis. The latter action is characterized as

political action and therefore inappropriate for groups that wish to be classified as

humanitarian. This point is made because of the evidence that, while some of the

passengers were solely interested in delivering supplies to the people in Gaza, for

others the main purpose was raising awareness of the blockade with a view to its

removal, as the only way to solve the crisis. An examination should be made to clearly

define humanitarianism, as distinct from humanitarian action, so that there can be an

agreed form of intervention and jurisdiction when humanitarian crises occur.

278. The Mission sincerely hopes that no impediment will be put in the way of those

who suffered loss as a result of the unlawful actions of the Israeli military to be

compensated adequately and promptly. It is hoped that there will be swift action by

the Government of Israel. This will go a long way to reversing the regrettable

reputation which that country has for impunity and intransigence in international

affairs. It will also assist those who genuinely sympathise with their situation to

support them without being stigmatized.

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcou...RC.15.21_en.pdf

Israel reacted by saying the report was "biased and distorted."

Edited by Happy Face

The southern command military court convicted two Israeli soldiers on Sunday of using human shields during Operation Cast Lead, Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip, in the winter of 2008-2009.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defe...n-gaza-1.316867

Few days old but since you bumped it.

Any idea what the punishment is?

Aljazeera is reporting on an Israeli settler hit-and-run attack by automobile on two young Palestinian boys in Silwan protesting the expansion of Israeli settlements and theft of Palestinian land there. As horrible as the video is to watch - and one hopes the boys are not gravely injured - it is a remarkable simile for what the settlers are doing to the Palestinians.

http://www.juancole.com/2010/10/israeli-se...n-children.html

Don't watch it if you're squirmish.

It is the whole situation crystalised though. An impoverished child throws a stone in defiance....and get's disproportionately mowed down by an israeli settler in what can arguably be called self-defence.

Edited by Happy Face

They stole my land, burnt my olive trees, destroyed my house, took my water, imprisoned my father, killed my mother, starved us all, humiliated us all.

But I am to blame : I shot a rocket back. So they stole more of my land, burnt my olive trees, destroyed my house, took my water, bombed my country...

Senseless act. I am sick of this world that has stood by for so long and watched this genocide against a people.

Its incredible that the terrorist atrocities committed against the Palestinians stretching back years have been virtually written out of the history books - it continues without a dissenting word

• Rayvin locked this topic