Ant

.com post

I actually agree with large parts of what was said (and also mentioned at the time that I was unsure that the idea of an "SBR is nearly dead"-day was quite appropriate.)

As for the argument over his reign, it's plain to see in my eyes that he should have left at the end of that season we finished 5th to give someone the entire pre-season with a brilliant squad, a squad which Robson had sadly lost control of.

NONE of this however means that I don't love SBR. He's an absolute legend in the true sense of the word and one of my all-time heroes.

Edited by Andrew Flintoff

I actually agree with large parts of what was said (and also mentioned at the time that I was unsure that the idea of an "SBR is nearly dead"-day was quite appropriate.)

As for the argument over his reign, it's plain to see in my eyes that he should have left at the end of that season we finished 5th to give someone the entire pre-season with a brilliant squad, a squad which Robson had sadly lost control of.

NONE of this however means that I don't love SBR. He's an absolute legend in the true sense of the word and one of my all-time heroes.

People look at that too simply, we'd put together a good team, but also one of the most brat pack orientated squads I've ever seen (and it's probably testament to Robson's man-management that it didn't implode much sooner), add to that the undermining Robson was having aimed at him by both the board and Shearer (who played a pretty big role in Robson's demise IMO) and it's no wonder the wheels got wobbly - Souness didn't so much restore order as fall out with many of the trouble makers and then get rid.

Having said that I don't think Robson could or should have gone on much longer, but he should have been given the rest of that season (or move aside the prior summer)..... we'd have been in a much better state if he had.

The timing of this statement is bizarre though, I don't see what it achieves other than backhandedly insulting Robson. :icon_lol:

Just picking up on what PP said, how anyone can scoff at any amount for any charity. I give £3 a month or whatever to the NSPCC and RSCPA, should I just not bother by their view? I still think it was a cracking job to collect over £2K with a few days notice and little organising, Im 100% sure the charity is most grateful for that also. Every penny counts.

This was never intended to be turned into an arguement about whether SBR was worthy of anything, only to thank the man for what he had done and is doing. No one is holding him up to be judged against other NUFC legends. Why is it hard for people to see this and just give someone a fucking pat on the back for once.

Not the first high profile fans to distance themselves from the goings on at NUSC, the lads at the Mag have done the same too apparently.

Not the first high profile fans to distance themselves from the goings on at NUSC, the lads at the Mag have done the same too apparently.

Shit! And there was me thinking that when Mark was talking about the stuff he was going to be doing next week for the meeting he was telling the truth, still Im sure some acne ridden little sparky knows his mind better than he does. :icon_lol:

To be fair, they've clearly had emails saying how shit their SBR day was, so they're distancing themselves from it.

I find this kind of attitude the reason why I sometimes shake my head in wonder at some Newcastle fans.

People go out and do the necessary to come up wiith the idea, promote it but then its down to the fans themselves to actually provide the noise, atmosphere and banners. The NUSC, nufc.com, toontastic, the club itself (because yes they were involved) and whoever else was involved couldnt do any more to make the day what it was meant to be.

Yet lo and behold the level of singing and the banners werent as expected and the day wasnt the spectacular that it could have been. Those that look to knock the relevant organisations wherever and whenever though will have their two fucking penneth as usual.

People who refused to write a message to the man because it was being organised by the NUSC, people who mocked it and looked for it to fail for that very reason need to take a good hard fucking look inside themselves before mocking those that tried to make it work.

I have no problems with the day, it got publicity for his charity, it raised over £2,600 in one hours bucket collections, collections that included a number of £20 notes.

It wasnt however nufc.com's day, they had nothing to do with the organisation, they were merely one of the advertising outlets for it. One of the media places who graciously gave up space to promote it. Whether the day was a success or failure is down to those fans that took part on the day. Many can hold their heads up high, those that went out of their way to organise it, those that placed cash in the buckets or raised their scarves in celebration. In particular the Ultras and Level 7 who tried and tried to get the singing going despite the odds. The club did their part and worked with NUSC representatives to ensure stuff was done or legalities were cleared at the time. They, the very place that has taken the brunt of bad press and statements from us were gracious enough to see the day for what it was.

If anywhere is responsible for the day its toontastic, it was an idea borne out of a throwaway statement here, an idea that was taken up by some and questioned as to whether the supporters club could help arrange it, that supporters club took it on and did the stuff necessary to get it going, during discussions with the relevant people in the know it became apparent that we didnt have the luxury of time on our side for this. Make of that what you will but the whole idea was to do something to celebrate the man while hes still here with us, not have a wake when hes gone.

So if anywhere is responsible for a "failed day" then toontastic is. As someone with 13k+ posts you're clearly a big part of the place.

So what exactly did you do to help make the day a success eh?

I just stood in level 7 singing songs. Money's tight for a lot of people at the moment so I wouldn't criticise in any way what a bucket collection pulls in, or any of the people involved. Maybe some of Bobby Robson's well to do ex-players could have bolstered the total, but as far as I'm concerned, most of the songs we sang up in the corner for the second half were about Robson, and it was a pleasure.

I agree that the article was completely uncalled for, I was just stating the only reason I could conceive for them posting such a needless tirade. They've clearly been slagged off for showing support, it's all the more perplexing when they put such effort into praising the bloke that walked 1000 miles and raised about the same amount (much to HIS credit).