Bye then

nufc4ever

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...t.html?ITO=1490

Given needs to go: Toon turmoil is driving Shay out, claims lawyer's bombshell statement

By Chris Wheeler

Last updated at 11:42 PM on 01st January 2009

Newcastle were rocked on Thursday night as Shay Given’s future was thrown into doubt after 459 appearances for the club.

Given’s lawyer, Michael Kennedy, took the unusual step of releasing a statement that will surely bring to an end the goalkeeper’s loyal 11-year stay at St James’ Park under nine managers.

Kennedy said: ‘Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance of the team against Liverpool last weekend.

‘It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance that he would not wish to be repeated.

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

'Having served the club loyally for over 11 years, Shay feels compelled to consider his position in the light of the interest being expressed in him by Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham.’

Kennedy, who also represents Roy Keane, is notoriously reluctant to speak publicly, so this is a sign of Given’s unhappiness with Newcastle’s season and of their prospects.

No bid for Given has been officially confirmed but Newcastle and the player face a decision as to whether Given appears in the FA Cup third round at Hull City on Saturday.

:icon_lol:

Edited by nufc4ever

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why worry, Dennis Wise will scout out someone else! I mean, why would the next Oliver Kahn or Buffon want to sign for Man Utd or Real Madrid when he can play under Joe Kinnear and super talents like Xisco.

As has been mentioned before, i won't begrudge him leaving if it was to arsenal....but tottenham or man city have been just as bad as us at times this season. i know the turmoil off the pitch would be a valid reason, but to bring up the liverpool game is a bit strange i feel, considering the players we were missing and playing the current league leaders.

Whisper it quietly but he deserves better than what we can offer for a player of his ability at this stage of his career.

Whisper it quietly but he deserves better than what we can offer for a player of his ability at this stage of his career.

I dont blame him in the slightest, more importantly though to me it shows that there are no clear lines of communication off the pitch, that the players are as much in the dark about the future of this club than the rest of us, or even more worryingly he knows how the future is laid out.

Given has been the players spokesman for a while now, him coming out and saying this publicly and officially means (to me anyway) that the bulk of the players will probably feel the same. I would expect another couple of these over the next week or so.

On the footballing side, how many of our defence will be relishing the 2nd half of the season without someone of Shays ability behind them? They'll take the brunt of the abuse for it and their failings will now be exposed royally for the world to see. Im not a fan of Taylor at all but to me this will be the final piece of the jigsaw for him to move out.

As an aside though, I dont think we will bring in a first choice keeper. We want Harper to sign his contract, what better way than to guarantee him the one thing hes not had for years, first team football, I would now expect Harper to be our first keeper with any new buy taking Stevies place on the bench. So dont expect that £5 or £6million purchase to happen,

In the words of our beloved owner on Sunday

If, like me, you like a gamble now and again, then what price a flutter on us dropping into the Championship”

5/1 Mike thats the odds, 5 to fucking 1,

The day Shay goes will be one of the darkest our club has seen.

Even when he got the hump and previously handed in a transfer request it was because he wasn't playing and he wanted to, for Newcastle.

Obviously he can't see a future with the current owner/manager/associated vultures.

Sort makes you glad they've got Harper's contract sorted out anarl! :icon_lol:

Edited by sammynb

The day Shay goes will be one of the darkest our club has seen.

Fucking Gutted :icon_lol:

Not much else I can add, except to say the above three quotes are entirely right.

I'm backing JFK, he must believe there are fairies at the bottom of his garden.

What a blow, this lot of wankers who are looking after our club are totally out of touch with the players and fans. Has JFK totally lost it, because if Shay has had enough you can bet your last penny that there are a lot more feeling the same.

Looks like JFK's "No way he's leaving statement" has forced Shaymus to break cover. His assessment is the club has no ambition; who can blame him then for wanting to be challenging for honours with a top club at his age. Thanks Shay and so long.

Footnote to Kinnear: don't bother with Paddy fucking Kenny, just promote Krul to No 2 and use whatever money you would have spent on a replacement for Nicky Butt. Cheers.

Edited by Kitman

Fuck. So we're going to go from taking it for granted that we'll always have a striker that can score goals (Shearer followed by Owen), and taking it for granted that we'll always have a top class keeper, to having neither.

Fuck. So we're going to go from taking it for granted that we'll always have a striker that can score goals (Shearer followed by Owen), and taking it for granted that we'll always have a top class keeper, to having neither.

Makes you feel sick doesnt it?

It does seriously make you wonder what fucking planet Kinnear is living on, with all the shit he comes out with about players being happy and wanting to stay.

He's told what to say, I wouldn't be surprised if its a clause in his contract. He's a complete joke