Bye then

nufc4ever

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily Mail

Manchester City are ready to make Newcastle United a £10million offer they cannot refuse for unhappy goalkeeper Shay Given, pictured in training on Friday.

Despite manager Joe Kinnear insisting Newcastle would keep Given until the end of his contract in 2011, owner Mike Ashley may not be able to turn down a bid for a player who has loyally served the club for more than 11 years.

Given, who has also attracted interest from Tottenham and Arsenal, rocked Newcastle yesterday with a carefully prepared statement from his lawyer Michael Kennedy, in which he said he was 'despondent' following the humiliating 5-1 defeat to Liverpool, in which he excelled.

The Republic of Ireland international is ready to end his long spell at St James' Park and City manager Mark Hughes is prepared to match Newcastle's inflated asking price and the 32-year-old's £70,000- a-week

News of Given's unhappiness clearly caught his boss off guard on Friday and Kinnear claimed the keeper was happy to stay on Tyneside. 'I have not got any unhappy players here and no one has told me anything different,' he said. 'You are presuming the statement was sanctioned by Shay and I am quite happy with what Shay told me.

10 mil? Looks like Baggio better get that chequebook out.

For £10m, would we be at another Milner situation i.e. too good to refuse??

Being a selling club, it would appear that the offer would be accepted.

Kinnear says he doesn't want to sell but Ashley might over-rule him

For £10m, would we be at another Milner situation i.e. too good to refuse??

Being a selling club, it would appear that the offer would be accepted.

Kinnear says he doesn't want to sell but Ashley might over-rule him

Don't forget Denise Wise, who seems to have some amount of clout in our dealings.

I think he is off to City - don't think he would go to london as he has just kitted out his mansion up here - Bit of a gamble but money talks - shame to see him go but only for the message it sends out - 9-10mill could pay for some reinforcements - no heartfelt sentiment tho - good player but no one is bigger than the club - wouldn't stop me giggling if he went and they got dragged into relegation (remote chance but possible) - I think Harper will sign because he has just shelled out a fortune on remoddeling his house as well

I think he is off to City - don't think he would go to london as he has just kitted out his mansion up here - Bit of a gamble but money talks - shame to see him go but only for the message it sends out - 9-10mill could pay for some reinforcements - no heartfelt sentiment tho - good player but no one is bigger than the club - wouldn't stop me giggling if he went and they got dragged into relegation (remote chance but possible) - I think Harper will sign because he has just shelled out a fortune on remoddeling his house as well

Im not sure how the rebuilding of the house will make any difference to where he goes other than if the makems or smogs were to come in for him.

Although Harper is capable him signing his contract is now dependent on a new contract being drawn up and it being to whatever he classes as his level as first team keeper. Im guessing he will now want what Given was on so maybe he will stall on it. Hes currently in the position of being able to negotiate a move wherever in the Summer, that position is heavily strengthened by the fact he'll become first choice keeper. I think our chances of him signing a contract now are slim. He can raise his value with other clubs because hes going to be in the shop window now whereas before he was just the bloke on the bench.

We could see him attempting to command a bigger salary than Given had which would be laughable tbh or he proves himself in the next few months and also moves on for a nice fat signing on fee leaving us with Krul.

Im not sure how the rebuilding of the house will make any difference to where he goes other than if the makems or smogs were to come in for him.

Although Harper is capable him signing his contract is now dependent on a new contract being drawn up and it being to whatever he classes as his level as first team keeper. Im guessing he will now want what Given was on so maybe he will stall on it. Hes currently in the position of being able to negotiate a move wherever in the Summer, that position is heavily strengthened by the fact he'll become first choice keeper. I think our chances of him signing a contract now are slim. He can raise his value with other clubs because hes going to be in the shop window now whereas before he was just the bloke on the bench.

We could see him attempting to command a bigger salary than Given had which would be laughable tbh or he proves himself in the next few months and also moves on for a nice fat signing on fee leaving us with Krul.

I mentioned that as a factor because he and his famly are well settled here and its not so far to go to manchester as london as a commute - but obviously it may only be a minor influence - would agree to your points on harper though again i think his heart is very much here and he knows he would enjoy the good will of the supporters

What are the chances he doesn't play today?

Well Kinnear has said that he'll be on the team bus, so I fully expect him to actually be at home with his feet up.

Im dreading the "He wasn't in the right frame of mind" statement

As good as Shay is, would it be bad business not to sell him now? Given that it looks like we may have to sell to buy in this transfer window should we turn down a possible £10m when we have Harper and two decent young keepers on the books?

Edited by ewerk

It depends where the £10m is going though.

Like the £12m from Milner you have to wonder.

Aye that's just it, sell him for £10m and either not get a replacement (and the £10m disappears without trace) or get a £2m replacement and £8m disappears without trace). :icon_lol:

hes definately worth 13m at least. I would take that buy a good left back a decent right back as cover and a central midfielder (not Ferguson) easy as that. Oh release Cacapa, Sell Edgar. But i'd keep carroll for the time being he looks okay

buy a quality central midfield, striker and persuade Given to stay and Owen to sign a new contract.

No sales, other than tripe such as Cacapa, Ameobi and Xisco

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of stick Given is getting for this. He's spat his dummy out and got his agent working on a move without officially putting in a transfer request yet he's going to be treated like some sort of martyr? This is totally unprofessional and he should be fined. Publicly touting yourself to other clubs through your lawyer ffs. And don't give me the 10 loyal years bollocks either, he's been quick twice to hoy transfer requests in when Harpers been in favour.

If Gordon Ramsay was tossing burgers at McDonalds he'd probably look for a move too.

Thank christ Shay persevered the last four years or we might already have been in the Championship.