Todays Rangers link - Pedro Mendes

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United boss Joe Kinnear is making a move to bring Pedro Mendes back to the Premier League.

Kinnear has asked Rangers - via an agent - if he can take the former Portsmouth and Tottenham midfielder on loan with a view to a £1.5million move.

Mendes has done well for the Glasgow club since joining from Pompey in August, but Kinnear has heard he is interested in coming back to England for a better standard of football.

Rangers are under pressure to trim their wage bill and offload players, but they would want a guaranteed sale for Mendes if Newcastle come up with the cash up front.

Mendes, twice capped by Portugal, would give the Magpies some much-needed options in central midfield.

Rangers are also a target for Bradford City boss Stuart McCall, who is returning to his old club to try to snap up right-back Jordan McMillan in a cut-price deal.

The teenager has been told he can leave Ibrox and is wanted on loan by Scottish Premier League rivals Hamilton Academical, but McCall hopes to talk him into coming to England. The Bantams already have McMillan's friend Dean Furman on an extended loan and he is also pushing their case to the Glasgow youngster.

Guest Stevie

Would be by far and away the best signing we can get from the SPL. Scores spectacular goals, moves the ball about well in midfield, Champions League winner, would be a good signing imo.

Why would Rangers let him come here on loan though?

Can you not read Alex? Its to help with there wage budget. :(

Rangers are under pressure to trim their wage bill

Guest Stevie
Why would Rangers let him come here on loan though?

Can you not read Alex? Its to help with there wage budget. :(

Rangers are under pressure to trim their wage bill

Aye their annual budget would've factored in being in Europe till at least Christmas, a long UEFA run was worth £12m to them last year, and CL group phase would be worth about the same, and that's a lot of money to a wank club like them.

we can't really afford to turn our noses up at him when we've got butt and guthrie "anchoring" our midfield

Harsh top have a pop at Guthrie imo. The kid is alright and he never hides either. E.g. Liverpool when no fucker wanted the ball and against Hull when he was getting kicked.

we can't really afford to turn our noses up at him when we've got butt and guthrie "anchoring" our midfield

Harsh top have a pop at Guthrie imo. The kid is alright and he never hides either. E.g. Liverpool when no fucker wanted the ball and against Hull when he was getting kicked.

i'm not having a pop at his work ethic. i don't think he's good enough to be starting week in week out. he's tidy enough in possesion but with him playing alongside butt, we probably have the least attacking central midfield pairing in the country. we're crying out for a midfielder that can link attack and defence, get forward and support the front men and chip in with a handfull of goals. i'd say mendes is closer to being that sort of player than guthrie is.

i'm not having a pop at his work ethic. i don't think he's good enough to be starting week in week out. he's tidy enough in possesion but with him playing alongside butt, we probably have the least attacking central midfield pairing in the country. we're crying out for a midfielder that can link attack and defence, get forward and support the front men and chip in with a handfull of goals. i'd say mendes is closer to being that sort of player than guthrie is.

Fair enough. He'd do a job. Prolly bollix like (the story that is).

Can't see this transfer happening, incredibly poor journalism.

Rangers are not having a fire sale... Murray has obviously been misquoted as Rangers are not looking to cut down their wage bill by selling our best players. Walter Smith has indeed been instructed to lower the wage bill in reference to our relevantly large squad(28 first team players) We have a lot of dead wood in that 28 players that we need to move on. The likes of Darcheville, McCulloch, Adam, Hemdani, Burke, Gow, Beasley and so on... Several of those players are on hefty wages that we can't afford to pay for them.

Unfortunately there is a possibility our best players could go(see Cuellar, Cousin snd Hutton). But they will not as cheap as the papers are indicating! We were in the same financial situation when we signed Mendes for 3million so why would we sell him for half of that... We're not going to let 1 of our best players leave on loan either it's either money or GTFO.

Also one last thing this "journalist" hasn't bothered to take into consideration is a certain UEFA ruling... Players cannot play for more than 2 clubs in a single season. If i'm not mistaken Mendes played for Portsmouth in this seasons Charity shield?

Rangers are not having a fire sale... Murray has obviously been misquoted as Rangers are not looking to cut down their wage bill by selling our best players. Walter Smith has indeed been instructed to lower the wage bill in reference to our relevantly large squad(28 first team players) We have a lot of dead wood in that 28 players that we need to move on. The likes of Darcheville, McCulloch, Adam, Hemdani, Burke, Gow, Beasley and so on... Several of those players are on hefty wages that we can't afford to pay for them.

Unfortunately there is a possibility our best players could go(see Cuellar, Cousin snd Hutton). But they will not as cheap as the papers are indicating! We were in the same financial situation when we signed Mendes for 3million so why would we sell him for half of that... We're not going to let 1 of our best players leave on loan either it's either money or GTFO.

Also one last thing this "journalist" hasn't bothered to take into consideration is a certain UEFA ruling... Players cannot play for more than 2 clubs in a single season. If i'm not mistaken Mendes played for Portsmouth in this seasons Charity shield?

Sounds about right, you can get a dispensation for the Uefa ruling though (whatever it is precisely) - see Defoe going back to Spurs.

Has he been playing well?

Not as well as alot of Rangers will tell you. His goal against Celtic has managed to deflect alot of critism away from him. I expected a lot more from him as he's only managed to shine in a handful of games... Most of which were the games when he first joined.

Though in fairness a lot of that may be down to who he is playing with in midfield... his form coincidently dipped when Ferguson came back in to the team. When he had Thomson in beside him he was given a lead role to get the ball moving... He was the creative spark and Thomson was our dig and drive. Now that Ferguson is in there we have 2 players who are very similar, in effect canceling each other out. Rather than 2 midfielders having a good game its 1 or the other, or at worst both play crap. Hence why alot of Rangers fan are desperate for Newcastle to take Ferguson

Edited by Nesta

Yous definetly wont get mendes on loan and for a buy youd probaly be looking at 6-7 million and with im being a key player for our title chase i seriously doubt a deal. But hes still far over rated and only shows glimpses of brilliance now and then, only controls matches at ibrox but never fancies it at your tough away games on a cold night when you really need him, he does have a brilliant touch and great passing and can score from any distance. In my eyes and others I know the best midfeilder in our side is Kevin Thomson who was a absoloute bargain from hibs at 2 million but hes out for the season so would be pretty pointless in trying, but the best player you could get from us is thommo.

Not as well as alot of Rangers will tell you. His goal against Celtic has managed to deflect alot of critism away from him. I expected a lot more from him as he's only managed to shine in a handful of games... Most of which were the games when he first joined.

Though in fairness a lot of that may be down to who he is playing with in midfield... his form coincidently dipped when Ferguson came back in to the team. When he had Thomson in beside him he was given a lead role to get the ball moving... He was the creative spark and Thomson was our dig and drive. Now that Ferguson is in there we have 2 players who are very similar, in effect canceling each other out. Rather than 2 midfielders having a good game its 1 or the other, or at worst both play crap. Hence why alot of Rangers fan are desperate for Newcastle to take Ferguson

I wouldn't say were desperate tbh the criticism barry gets is way over the top IMO and thats only cus hes the shaddow of his fromer self, he still is our captain and a very very important player for our title hopes but if the offer was right and a 100% of the money was reinvested in buying a new centre back and a winger I think it would be acceptable to sell. But it wont happen.

Yous definetly wont get mendes on loan and for a buy youd probaly be looking at 6-7 million and with im being a key player for our title chase i seriously doubt a deal. But hes still far over rated and only shows glimpses of brilliance now and then, only controls matches at ibrox but never fancies it at your tough away games on a cold night when you really need him, he does have a brilliant touch and great passing and can score from any distance. In my eyes and others I know the best midfeilder in our side is Kevin Thomson who was a absoloute bargain from hibs at 2 million but hes out for the season so would be pretty pointless in trying, but the best player you could get from us is thommo.

Err.. that'll be Celtic then. ;)