Tell me about Sunderland.....

ChocChip

It's our derby, but to be fair derbies such as Rangers v Celtic are based on other emotions and as such more than likely make them different.

The bigotry factor of these games elevates them above the normal derby games in England. It doesn't excuse the fact that it's between 2 pretty average teams though.

Normally these matches decide the league too. You can't say that about any derby game in England

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'English' people tend to be a mix of all sorts but i'm led to believe, due to the proximity of Lindesfarne, that more than usual of the blond haired, blue eyed white devils make up your populace, can the same be said of Sunderland?

My history is really rocky here so no extra offence intended  :crylaughin:  were the people of Newcastle and Sunderland involved in the Jarrow march? Was it for the whole region? As your industries were so similar, were you similarly affected by Thatchers attitude to British industry? Did you feel unfairly treated together or was there no sense of solidarity?

47290[/snapback]

Choca chip dude, you way too heavy man, chhill out --- we all hate the bastards, red and white shite.

'English' people tend to be a mix of all sorts but i'm led to believe, due to the proximity of Lindesfarne, that more than usual of the blond haired, blue eyed white devils make up your populace, can the same be said of Sunderland?

My history is really rocky here so no extra offence intended  :crylaughin:  were the people of Newcastle and Sunderland involved in the Jarrow march? Was it for the whole region? As your industries were so similar, were you similarly affected by Thatchers attitude to British industry? Did you feel unfairly treated together or was there no sense of solidarity?

47290[/snapback]

Choca chip dude, you way too heavy man, chhill out --- we all hate the bastards, red and white shite.

47804[/snapback]

Oh I don't know, you seem to get on with them OK. :o

I've only ever heard/read so called "real" reasons for the rivalry from the Sunderland side. Crap about the civil war when Newcastle was royalist and Sunderland Cromwellian mainly due to economic reasons.

I've always described it as a pure football rivalry - there is no trivial shit like religion or politics to get in the way.

I forgot to mention they have a HUGE chip on their shoulders about the recent development and investment in Newcastle/Gateshead. You can also mention things like the Metro and the Arport and get huge bites.

47274[/snapback]

Newcastle airport aint much cop though tbh.

Still at least Newcastle has a cinema. I always found it funny that Sunderland didnt have one til recently. How can any self respecting proclaimer of mackem civic standards have any come back from that?! :crylaughin:

47280[/snapback]

What's up with it like? In the past two years I have flown to Dublin, Tenerife, Nice, Milan, London, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona, Malaga and probably quite a few other places from it. Beats the hell out of travelling to Manchester, and it is on the Metro. And flights to New York are starting shortly I hear.

Also delays are usually minmal because there is no congestion. Nice little airport tbh.

47284[/snapback]

Convenient flights to New York + an obsession with going back to NYC + a student loan + tendency to live by the motto - "Why not?" (and then ignore all reasons given) = not so good. I wish I hadn't read that!!!

I find the mackem v geordie thing fun to play along with.....

... my mum finds it less fun seeming as about half of my family on her side are from sunderland or there abouts. But half of them support Newcastle, while the other half support sunderland.

So, there's some useful Massara family history for you. I hope you all took notes. :o