Redundancies

Tooj

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get this right. Are you actually saying you can pull in in excess of £50k p.a. working in South Tyneside as a taxi driver without killing yourself hours-wise?

Have to say I'm worried about my job too, not because I'm shit more because the construction and gas industry isn't on it's arse but it's toppling.

If change comes, embrace it fella. B)

:D Spoken like a true silver-spooner. :D

Not at all mate, my company had some financial challenges that looked quite bad back in Nov.

I had to dig quite deep for new ideas and look at other things I was good at and work on those which I probably would

have neglected normally.

Do you mean do some proper work instead of spending all day on message boards? :icon_lol:

Have to say I'm worried about my job too, not because I'm shit more because the construction and gas industry isn't on it's arse but it's toppling.

If change comes, embrace it fella. :)

:D Spoken like a true silver-spooner. B)

Not at all mate, my company had some financial challenges that looked quite bad back in Nov.

I had to dig quite deep for new ideas and look at other things I was good at and work on those which I probably would

have neglected normally.

Do you mean do some proper work instead of spending all day on message boards? :rolleyes:

:D

It took ages to work out how to do two things at once. :icon_lol:

If change comes, embrace it fella. :)

:D Spoken like a true silver-spooner. :rolleyes:

have neglected normally.

Do you mean do some proper work instead of spending all day on message boards? :)

:icon_lol:

It took ages to work out how to do two things at once. B)

B) That technically makes you a woman, unless one of the two things is :D

And by the way, your welcome for the suggestion about a possible buyer for your dads plate. Hope he gets his £13,000 (Or if your own jobs not great, snatch his hand off and i'll show you the ropes :D )

:icon_lol:B):rolleyes:

I'll thank you once he get's a sale :D

I think his dad is elling a hackney licence for south tyneside. This is basically I licence from the council that lets you taxi within the borough. You still need to have a car and the relevant insurance etc.

You could also buy the licence and "rent" it out to someone and you would normally get £70 per week. Traditionally they have gone up in value however some councils are deregulating which has resulted in these licences becoming worthless overnight. South Tyneside say "they have no plans to do this".

The going price for one of these in Newcastle, I think , is about £60,000.

Just to clarify, it's a lot cheaper to get a license to work from an office as a private hire car. The Hackney plate means you can pick up on the street.

Just to get this right. Are you actually saying you can pull in in excess of £50k p.a. working in South Tyneside as a taxi driver without killing yourself hours-wise?

No, i said some drivers can take over £1000 a week without killing themselves.

The lads who tend to do this are not the "steady eddys" who turn up, do their shifts and go home. They might make a grand one week, take it easy for a couple of weeks, then in hard again. Your idea of killing yourself and mine might be very different.

As you will see from last weekends example, 3 "day" netted around £760. Since sunday I have been off. So that was three days work and 4 days off. Some weeks I might work 5 or 6 days which in turn can mean another 3 days at around 100 a day.

Most taxi drivers fall into the job in desperation when they are on the bones and then find it hard to get out of because there are not many jobs they can go into that come anywhere close in wages.

Mins its by know means all roses. You do have crap shifts and ofcourse have to be bothered to carry drunk chavas at 3 in the morning. But, as I said at the beginning, its easy to get into when your backs against the wall.

In Hindsight, :D I probably shouldnt have used the word "easy". Achievable yep but not easy.

That did sort of suggest you can do it every week quite comfortably tbf.

I think his dad is elling a hackney licence for south tyneside. This is basically I licence from the council that lets you taxi within the borough. You still need to have a car and the relevant insurance etc.

Not a great job for 20 somethings with a social life as obviously the busiest times are usually when everyone else is out.

Should add that you need to have an average knowledge od the area to get started, nothing too complicated. It took me 7 days with an A-Z to brush up.

You could also buy the licence and "rent" it out to someone and you would normally get £70 per week. Traditionally they have gone up in value however some councils are deregulating which has resulted in these licences becoming worthless overnight. South Tyneside say "they have no plans to do this".

The going price for one of these in Newcastle, I think , is about £60,000.

Can it be used over the civilised side of the River? North tyneside?

No, but get a private hire and join blue line which is an excellent open office. You can work whenevr you want. Big bills, season ticket to pay work more. Fancy a break, work less.

Here is there recruitment page. It says not recruiting drivers but will be soon. They are however recruiting call centre staff if anyones looking for that line of work. If you are interested I would go and have a chat with them. They are very professional.

http://bluelinetaxis.com/about/recruitment/

If I wasnt a smb :D and new my way round over that side, I would go myself.

Good Luck.

my dad worked for Blue line for years,. but they got loads of cars on, and the favourites get all the good work.

If I did Taxi, i would only be interested in Hacking,.. as an extra income, tbh, im chocka with work at the moment.

A quick search has found this car and hackney plate for sale for £12,000.

http://www.toomanytaxis.co.uk/

Think there was a bit of hoo haa about whether that council was going to de-regulate and give plates away free, so I would suggest a full due dilligence before prceeding.

Im sure yor dad will know someone.

North Tyneside Hackney Carriage Car & Plate For Sale £12,000 Jimmy 07515262635

There was talk about a all in single plate system, not sure the score on that tho, I know people are complaining theres too many taxis for the amount of work.

People are working on Berwick plates, around north shields, to avoid N tyneside plates, thats why i was asking if a south tyneside one could be used... must be diffrent for private hire,..think its only sommething i would consider, spending 12k on if i was doing it full time tho.

• 3 weeks later...

...fuck

but on the bright side the girl who I've been dating said she didn't want to pursue anything because dating a guy at work never goes well.... no longer a problem Missy because I got told today that because of government cutbacks they have to cut short my contract, effectively my last paid day will be next Friday...

what the fuck? My shittest day ever? prolly

Edited by The Fish

...fuck

but on the bright side the girl who I've been dating said she didn't want to pursue anything because dating a guy at work never goes well.... no longer a problem Missy because I got told today that because of government cutbacks they have to cut short my contract, effectively my last paid day will be next Friday...

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm also sorry to say that the "no dating at work" girl doesn't want anything serious. I've used that line about 5 times.

...fuck

Sorry to hear that mate. B)

Guest Stevie
...fuck

I'm sorry about your job Fish, it's never nice, I'm seriously worried about mine at the moment, even though I've made the cunts 42k this year, but the lass situation cries of an "it's me it's not you" type of crack, and we all know what type of crack that is.

Trying to look at this as a bucket of opportunities for me to rummage through... a win today would certainly make things a little better. Nowt like a fucking abortion of a Friday to put things in perspective.

Guest Stevie

Well the redundancies are starting :lol: Lad on my team is losing his job on Friday, he doesn't know it yet but he is, this recession is a fuckin total nightmare.

Well the redundancies are starting :lol: Lad on my team is losing his job on Friday, he doesn't know it yet but he is, this recession is a fuckin total nightmare.

Bad craic. Are you in recruitment if i remember rightly?

Guest Stevie

Bad craic. Are you in recruitment if i remember rightly?

Aye. I'm third top of 35 on our money generated table this year, but my pipeline is fucking drier than Vanessa Feltz minge. Really worried but if the worst comes to the worst, I'm going to go freelance, if I was freelance, I would've made over 30k already this year.

just an update because this thread was bumped by yet another fucking shit-hole of a situation. That lass is now back on the scene... almost as if she was telling the truth about the "work relationship" thing.

I know.... I'm as incredulous as you. a) a girl reinstating her interest in me, :lol: a girl telling the truth and c) Me being bothered enough to update people who don't care.