This summer

Chaser

Lets say that the season has been secured and we've finished up bottom half but clear of relegation, where do you think the club will go?

Will Ashley be looking to sell or do we have to face another season lacking ambition, clearing out decent players to replace them with cheaper alternatives? Will Kinnear get an extension to his contract? Will Owen leave and will there be a further exodus of players?

Personally, Ive got little faith in the chances of Ashley selling up and so we will be faced with yet more mediocre ambitions, cheap transfers and wheeling and dealing. If he doesnt sell up, Ive got the feeling that Kinnear will remain in post until next season on another year deal.

I think Owen will definitely leave, regardless of what happens and there'll be an exodus of any talent left at the club. I think we'll probably be stuck with some deadwood still and we'll be still be in the same position we are in now, next January.

I sincerely hope I can be proven wrong, but for some reason any optimism I once had about "maybe next season" has gone now.

Im not sure I believe that there isnt anyone willing to take this club over for a good price, its not everyone suffering from financial meltdown.

Out- Owen, Given & Barton

In - chirst knows, as has been said, cheap wheeling and dealing.

outlook - generally edge closer to relegation, spending majority of the season in the bottom three

Kinnear - will be given a two/three year contract

will finish - 17th/18th (we'll be shown live on sky on the last day needing to win away to a champs league team to stay up or something of that ilk)

Man U will sell Ronaldo. Tevez will walk as threatened. Giggs, Scholes and Neville will retire. Glazer won't spend on replacements. Fergie will lose his stomach for it rather than trying to build ANOTHER league winning side and they'll be a spent force.

Chelsea won't win anything this year. Drogba and Anelka will go in a sulk. Lampard, Terry and Cole will fancy moves aboroad. Scolari will be sacked and they'll have their fourth manager in four years. Abramovich will lose his stomach and refuse to spend. He'll put the club on the market and they'll be a spent force.

Liverpool will drop like lead balloons when Gerrard gets banged up and they'll be a spent force.

Arsenal will sack Wenger for not reaching the Champions league this year, they'll bring in Sky pundit Alan Smith to replace him and they'll be a spent force.

We'll sell Owen and Given, sign no-one and get into the champions league with Kinnear in charge and Carroll and Ameobi leading the line.

[/Ashley cloud cuckoo land dream world scenario]

Ashley will stay another season because he will have made a profit on his previous transactions.

Ashleys definition of moving the club forward is only motivated by profit, and even if we unearth the most exciting prospect and he will generate cah then that player will be sold. Profit is his sole motivation, not interested in anything else.

Other thing that will happen, a vast number will not renew their ST, I wonder? If Ashley still owns the club, at least I will be one that will become an armchair supporter. I have already cancelled my direct debit.

Ashley will stay another season because he will have made a profit on his previous transactions.

Ashleys definition of moving the club forward is only motivated by profit, and even if we unearth the most exciting prospect and he will generate cah then that player will be sold. Profit is his sole motivation, not interested in anything else.

Other thing that will happen, a vast number will not renew their ST, I wonder? If Ashley still owns the club, at least I will be one that will become an armchair supporter. I have already cancelled my direct debit.

I'm still conflicted. You're only as ambitious as your last transfer window, and there's only been one complete transfer window since the current scouting system was set up.

In it we broke our transfer record for a defender, got some quality at knock down prices and pulled in £12M for a non-international.

Ashley is a lying twat bag, who's got a lot of stuff badly wrong, but I'm still not as pissed off with his transfer dealings as many seem to be.

I'm still conflicted. You're only as ambitious as your last transfer window, and there's only been one complete transfer window since the current scouting system was set up.

In it we broke our transfer record for a defender, got some quality at knock down prices and pulled in £12M for a non-international.

Ashley is a lying twat bag, who's got a lot of stuff badly wrong, but I'm still not as pissed off with his transfer dealings as many seem to be.

The £12m was good business, if you get 50% of success with your signings you do well, I will not argue with any of that, but he is a liar, and he did say at some point early on that he wanted young european players as the foundation of the team and then he goes and sells Milner.

He wants to move the club forward etc etc, and we can quote forever the lies he has told, but things like 3 year contract for shola, and the management saying they're all up for sale at a price just makes you wonder. Even if he had the most important and best player that won you games every week he would still be up for sale at a price. Let's face it we're a selling club!

I am pissed off at turning up at SJP with no real ambition that we will win a game, and then after 90 minutes feeling so fed up. THe day normally starts ok with a few beers and meeting mates and family, turns sour for 90 minutes, but get a welcome pickmeup with afew more beers. It's only the bit in the middle that has the potential of spoiling a good day.

The guy will continue to run it his way, sell, sell, and sell with no real ambition for success on the field, simply a feeder club for whoever bids the highest. He will continue to tell his customers sod all and will get away with it all because the majority will continue with their support.

I'm with HF on this one.

The £12m was good business, if you get 50% of success with your signings you do well, I will not argue with any of that, but he is a liar, and he did say at some point early on that he wanted young european players as the foundation of the team and then he goes and sells Milner.

He wants to move the club forward etc etc, and we can quote forever the lies he has told, but things like 3 year contract for shola, and the management saying they're all up for sale at a price just makes you wonder. Even if he had the most important and best player that won you games every week he would still be up for sale at a price. Let's face it we're a selling club!

I am pissed off at turning up at SJP with no real ambition that we will win a game, and then after 90 minutes feeling so fed up. THe day normally starts ok with a few beers and meeting mates and family, turns sour for 90 minutes, but get a welcome pickmeup with afew more beers. It's only the bit in the middle that has the potential of spoiling a good day.

The guy will continue to run it his way, sell, sell, and sell with no real ambition for success on the field, simply a feeder club for whoever bids the highest. He will continue to tell his customers sod all and will get away with it all because the majority will continue with their support.

Apart from Milner who have we sold that we have not replaced?

As you say, it was good business. Milner is no Ashley Young (£8m international at 23) or Walcott (£5M international at 19). He's 23 and not even got close to an international training session. We've got players as good, if not better so I don't see it as selling our best players for profit, but a common sense approach to average squad players.

As an average player rated at £5M I'd probably be more pissed off if Shola didn't get a new contract and went on a free. As much stick as he gets, he's adequate cover, and it's not like he's a drain on club resources like some other expensive flops.

Letting the likes of Owen and Given go might make us a feeder club, but i don't see us that way just yet. Given is under contract until 2011, so although we're listening to offers, I still hope they'll only let him go for stupid money that could help fund a replacement for Owen.

As terrible as his PR has been, we never got this up in arms when Cole, Ferdinand, Ginola, Woodgate etc. went...because it was good business.

Edited by Happy Face

As you say, it was good business. Milner is no Ashley Young (£8m international at 23) or Walcott (£5M international at 19). He's 23 and not even got close to an international training session. We've got players as good, if not better so I don't see it as selling our best players for profit, but a common sense approach to average squad players.

As an average player rated at £5M I'd probably be more pissed off if Shola didn't get a new contract and went on a free. As much stick as he gets, he's adequate cover, and it's not like he's a drain on club resources like some other expensive flops.

Letting the likes of Owen and Given go might make us a feeder club, but i don't see us that way just yet. Given is under contract until 2011, so although we're listening to offers, I still hope they'll only let him go for stupid money that could help fund a replacement for Owen.

As terrible as his PR has been, we never got this up in arms when Cole, Ferdinand, Ginola, Woodgate etc. went...because it was good business.

Fans stormed St Jame's Park when Cole was sold and if memory serves there was a smaller scale version when Woodgate went too and we were all devistated when Ferdinand left even though for his age it was good money and in Shearer we had a better replacement. Ginola is the only one that we weren't up in arms over and that is because his second season faded out badly and his attitude was being questioned all over the place.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Milner btw just that your comparisson is flawed.

Fans stormed St Jame's Park when Cole was sold and if memory serves there was a smaller scale version when Woodgate went too and we were all devistated when Ferdinand left even though for his age it was good money and in Shearer we had a better replacement. Ginola is the only one that we weren't up in arms over and that is because his second season faded out badly and his attitude was being questioned all over the place.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Milner btw just that your comparisson is flawed.

We were high flying european regulars then too. Felt like the club was in a lot safer hands, sad as we might have been to see them go we had confidence the money would be spent and then some.

My point was more that listening to offers for any player is no different to the policy in the past. I agree we've never really liked it when an offer's been accepted for one of our best players, but I think we've been far more willing to accept it for the above reasons which don't currently stand..

Edited by Happy Face

So everything's rosy, don't really give a toss about what happened long ago with the likes of Ferdinand, I can go back to the time when we had Gordon Lee and he sold MacDonald and even further but again, right now it has no impact on the future, and after supporting NUFC for around 50 years you don't have to think about tomorrow, cos it does not always turn out the way you might expect.

Just a few points above the bottom 3 and with no real ambition leaves me feeling pretty damn fed-up, maybe I am looking at things all black and not much white, I'd be very pleased if I was proved wrong, but with this lot of arseholes leading the club I do not think so.

Edited by Jackies the Lad

So everything's rosy, don't really give a toss about what happened long ago with the likes of Ferdinand, I can go back to the time when we had Gordon Lee and he sold MacDonald and even further but again, right now it has no impact on the future, and after supporting NUFC for around 50 years you don't have to think about tomorrow, cos it does not always turn out the way you might expect.

Just a few points above the bottom 3 and with no real ambition leaves me feeling pretty damn fed-up, maybe I am looking at things all black and not much white, I'd be very pleased if I was proved wrong, but with this lot of arseholes leading the club I do not think so.

If this window sees us sell Given, NZogbia and Geremi without signing anyone I'll probably become as despondent. For now I'm still able to retain an iota of optimism.

If this window sees us sell Given, NZogbia and Geremi without signing anyone I'll probably become as despondent. For now I'm still able to retain an iota of optimism.

Whilst Geremi has been a great player, now he is less than average, too slow and whilst his assists have been good in the past, Saturday he was abysmal. He has lost his athleticsm, that is if he was very athletic in the first place, I'm not so sure. For all of his faults he still has a use at this point in time at NUFC, we need cover.

If we do sell anyone in this window it will leave us perilosly short of players, IMO we not only need to retain all that we have but seriously add cover in the areas that most of us have spoken about.

There-in lies the problem though, are they REALLY a bunch of arseholes, or is everyone just blinded by emotion.

We're in the shit along with 75% of the Premiership (if you just look at the league table), we're (according to us), in a tailspin and doomed beyond redemption BUT we're above Spurs who've spent loads, The mackems, who are in their golden age - according to them, and Boro who have the bestest chairman in the world.

Our wafer thin squad is performing better than those mentioned despite being top (again) of the physio-room table.

Maybe just maybe, it's not all as bad as some would believe it is.

Only difference from about the previous 5 or so years is we've swapped Shepherd (thank god) for someone else. We are undoubtedly not very good at all, but so it seems is no-one else (excluding top 4-5) we've just got to hope we remain less shit than three other teams, I'm also with the gents who mentioned above that our transfer dealings have not been that bad, certainly compared to some in our recent past.

I'm an old twat as well and I was gutted when we sold Pop Robson

Edited by Toonpack

Whilst Geremi has been a great player, now he is less than average, too slow and whilst his assists have been good in the past, Saturday he was abysmal. He has lost his athleticsm, that is if he was very athletic in the first place, I'm not so sure. For all of his faults he still has a use at this point in time at NUFC, we need cover.

If we do sell anyone in this window it will leave us perilosly short of players, IMO we not only need to retain all that we have but seriously add cover in the areas that most of us have spoken about.

Geremi wouldn't be a big loss. Just a player who's mentioned a move that provides some cover we desparately need.

There-in lies the problem though, are they REALLY a bunch of arseholes, or is everyone just blinded by emotion.

We're in the shit along with 75% of the Premiership (if you just look at the league table), we're (according to us), in a tailspin and doomed beyond redemption BUT we're above Spurs who've spent loads, The mackems, who are in their golden age - according to them, and Boro who have the bestest chairman in the world.

Our wafer thin squad is performing better than those mentioned despite being top (again) of the physio-room table.

Only difference from about the previous 5 or so years is we've swapped Shepherd (thank god) for someone else. We are undoubtedly not very good at all, but so it seems is no-one else (excluding top 4-5) we've just got to hope we remain less shit than three other teams, I'm also with the gents who mentioned above that our transfer dealings have not been that bad, certainly compared to some in our recent past.

Yes you are right, we are no worse than the other teams below us, we are performing better, but we are a lot worse that the small number that are challenging for the title and the gap is getting bigger. We are about the same as the others barring two or three points, and a whole lot better than the bottom two, but ther is not much in it.

How far have we fallen since the title challenge under KK, and please do not read this as a sign that I advocate the return of KK, again forget the history it is about what we have to do now to get us into a position to challenge but I fear we are light years away.

I was also gutted when Pop was sold and once again the Club treat the player really badly.

Yes you are right, we are no worse than the other teams below us, we are performing better, but we are a lot worse that the small number that are challenging for the title and the gap is getting bigger. We are about the same as the others barring two or three points, and a whole lot better than the bottom two, but ther is not much in it.

How far have we fallen since the title challenge under KK, and please do not read this as a sign that I advocate the return of KK, again forget the history it is about what we have to do now to get us into a position to challenge but I fear we are light years away.

I was also gutted when Pop was sold and once again the Club treat the player really badly.

We seem to have a knack for that :icon_lol:

On the other points, oh we've plummeted from a great height at remarkable speed, what we don't know is if we've bottomed out yet. The descent started and continued under the previous regime, whether this one can or will arrest the slide is the million pound question, I'm not ready to villify them yet.

They have to a greater extent pissed off their customers, but cold hard facts seem to suggest, we're actually in the same boat as many others but in better shape than many - At least we don't owe foreign banks bazillions, unlike some, and depending how the next couple of years go economy wise and what the next TV deal brings, lot's of chickens may come home to roost.

Edited by Toonpack

Man U will sell Ronaldo. Tevez will walk as threatened. Giggs, Scholes and Neville will retire. Glazer won't spend on replacements. Fergie will lose his stomach for it rather than trying to build ANOTHER league winning side and they'll be a spent force.

Chelsea won't win anything this year. Drogba and Anelka will go in a sulk. Lampard, Terry and Cole will fancy moves aboroad. Scolari will be sacked and they'll have their fourth manager in four years. Abramovich will lose his stomach and refuse to spend. He'll put the club on the market and they'll be a spent force.

Liverpool will drop like lead balloons when Gerrard gets banged up and they'll be a spent force.

Arsenal will sack Wenger for not reaching the Champions league this year, they'll bring in Sky pundit Alan Smith to replace him and they'll be a spent force.

We'll sell Owen and Given, sign no-one and get into the champions league with Kinnear in charge and Carroll and Ameobi leading the line.

[/Ashley cloud cuckoo land dream world scenario]

:icon_lol::angry:

As you mentioned, we're really no worse off than the other 75%, but I think what makes a difference at least in my mind, and possibly others, is I think about how much worse off we'd be without Given and/ or Owen. Given especially.

I'll be honest, I've not follwed Newcastle long, and I've never seen Harper play, but Given is hands down our MVP this season and if somehow he'd be allowed to leave, we'd be going straight down in my opinion.

So it isn't so much that we're more pessimistic than the other 75% or have unrealistic expectations, it's we know how integral 2 or 3 star players are to our side being average to good instead of BAD.

As you mentioned, we're really no worse off than the other 75%, but I think what makes a difference at least in my mind, and possibly others, is I think about how much worse off we'd be without Given and/ or Owen. Given especially.

I'll be honest, I've not follwed Newcastle long, and I've never seen Harper play, but Given is hands down our MVP this season and if somehow he'd be allowed to leave, we'd be going straight down in my opinion.

So it isn't so much that we're more pessimistic than the other 75% or have unrealistic expectations, it's we know how integral 2 or 3 star players are to our side being average to good instead of BAD.

Given's a very good keeper (shit at commanding his box though) but Harpers also a decent keeper, I'm not convinced the drop off would be huge, losing Owen's goals would be a much bigger problem IMO. I'd like both to stay by the way, but Owen will be gone in the summer whatever happens.

Where are we in terms of points in comparison with previous years?

I think we're at 3 less than same time last year, but then again a lot of other teams have many less points as well, that's the big difference this season.