Monday Gossip Column

Scottish Mag

BREAKING GOSSIP

Bolton manager Gary Megson claimed he has ended his interest in Joey Barton after the club had a £2m bid rejected for the Newcastle midfielder. (0915GMT, Press Association)

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Zenit St Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin will sign for Arsenal in the January transfer window, despite the Russian club turning down a £10m bid. (The Sun)

Wigan striker Emile Heskey has agreed a pre-contract deal to join former club Liverpool as a free agent in the summer. (Daily Mail)

Manchester City are closing in on a £12m deal to sign West Ham striker Craig Bellamy. (Independent)

Portsmouth will offer Manchester City £6m for striker Benjani, who they sold to the Eastlands club, and midfielder Michael Johnson. (The Sun)

Portsmouth manager Tony Adams could also offer Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton a chance to get his career back on track by taking him to Fratton Park. (Daily Star)

Portsmouth are also interested in signing Real Madrid forward Javier Saviola in a bid to fill the gap left by the departure of Jermain Defoe. (Daily Mirror)

But the latest player to be heading out of Portsmouth could be defender Herman Hreidarsson, with Reading thought to be his preferred destination. (Various)

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones is a target for Aston Villa but manager Martin O'Neill will have to pay £12m for the Trinidad and Tobago international. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle are giving a trial to Danish winger Peter Lovenkrands - the former Rangers man is a free agent after his release by Schalke. (The Sun)

The Magpies are also interested in taking Manchester City's Brazilian striker Jo on loan until the end of the season at St James' Park. (Daily Mail)

Olivier Dacourt can leave Inter Milan on a free transfer and has been offered to Newcastle United. (The Times)

Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas could be on his way out of White Hart Lane after he was stripped of his role as vice-captain by manager Harry Redknapp. (Daily Mirror)

Redknapp has received an offer for goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes but has rejected it as he wants to keep the goalkeeper in light of his improved form. (Independent)

Everton and Fulham are checking on £2m-rated Norway winger Trond Olsen, who plays for Bodo Glimt. (Daily Mail)

Benfica defender Marco Zoro joined up with Blackburn on Sunday to start a trial with the Ewood Park outfit. (Various)

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes wants to sign Chelsea's second-choice goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini for £3m. (Various)

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish has lined up a £1m bid for Doncaster defender Matthew Mills. (Daily Mirror)

Stoke are setting a deadline of Monday for striker James Beattie to complete his £3m move from Sheffield United. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham have entered the race to sign Watford midfielder John-Joe O'Toole, who has scored eight goals this season. (Times)

OTHER FOOTBALL GOSSIP

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has continued his tirade against Manchester United by questioning David Gill's dual role as United chief executive and a key player at the Football Association. (Various)

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp blasted his players after their 1-0 defeat at Wigan, claiming he needs "more men" to help Spurs avoid relegation. (Various)

Former QPR, Plymouth and Leicester boss Ian Holloway is in the frame to make his return to management with Walsall, who sacked Jimmy Mullen on Saturday. (Daily Mirror)

But John Ward, dismissed by Carlisle in September, is also understood to be in the running to take over at the Bescot Stadium. (Daily Mail)

Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist claims he would walk away if he felt the Ibrox club were handing the title to Celtic by selling some of their top players. (Daily Mirror)

With Andy Anson taking over on Monday as the head of England's bid to stage the 2018 World Cup, Spain and Portugal are planning to pip the English Football Association with an attractive joint bid. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham are considering installing undersoil heating at Craven Cottage after their postponed Premier League match against Blackburn on Saturday cost them £100,000. (Daily Express)

The Cottagers and Portsmouth, who were due to face Manchester City, may face sanctions from the Premier League if it is found they did not take sufficient action to prevent the postponement of their games. (Various)

Agent Willie McKay says Rangers did ask him to seek potential buyers for a number of the Ibrox squad despite claims to the contrary from chairman Sir David Murray. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Argentina manager Diego Maradona set off a fire alarm at the Radisson Edwardian hotel in Manchester at 1700 GMT on Sunday by puffing on a Havana cigar. The alert led to 200 guests being evacuated, among them the Chelsea squad ahead of their trip to Manchester United. (The Sun)

Bolton striker Kevin Davies has branded Arsenal an embarrassment, claiming they "scream" when challenged and tried to con referee Chris Foy into booking him during his side's 1-0 defeat at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday. (Various)

NEWCASTLE UNITED boss Joe Kinnear is hoping Peter Lovenkrands can give the Toon Army a lift during what has been a frustrating January transfer window so far.

United picked up a 2-2 draw with West Ham at the weekend with Kinnear’s squad down to the bare bones, yet still climbed to 11th in the table.

Kinnear feels the Danish winger still has plenty to offer the Magpies. He told the Chronicle that the 28-year-old is hungry to earn a permanent deal at St James’s Park ahead of his week-long trial, which started today.

And United’s boss has hinted there could be more to follow ex-Rangers star Lovenkrands.

The Horsholm-born Lovenkrands – who almost joined United under Sir Bobby Robson before opting for Ibrox – was released from his contract at Bundesliga side Schalke 04 recently and is looking for a new challenge.

Kinnear said: “I met Peter over lunch yesterday and he started with us on a week-long trial today.

“He’ll be with us all week and then we can make a decision.

“But he’s a player we are pleased to have with us and one with a vast amount of experience to offer us.

“He is still a player who has so much to offer us.

“Pace wise he has bags of it and I think that he is the sort of player who will get fans off their seats.

“He’s keen to join us and still has the hunger to play well at the top level.”

Lovenkrands – who played for Denmark in the World Cup in 2002 – started his career with Danish side Akademisk Boldklub before joining Rangers where he made 182 appearances, scoring 54 times and winning two SPL titles, while also starring in the Champions League.

Lovenkrands left Glasgow for Schalke in 2006 before quitting Germany looking for a new challenge this month.

United were once again linked with a host of names over the weekend and Kinnear says he is working hard to secure more signings before the window closes.

He said: “There are an awful lot of names out there.

“But we have a full scout force out there and they are on red alert.

“They are going to various parts of the world and we are just seeing how we go along.

“Finances are tight and we have to make the correct decisions with people.“Therefore we won’t be rushed into anything.”

Meanwhile, Kinnear also shrugged off Manchester City’s nominal bid for Shay Given after the Eastlands club bid less than £4m for the Irishman.

He added: “In my eyes, Shay is still going nowhere.

“He’s got a major role here, as has Michael Owen.

“And they both proved they are focused and committed to this club.

“I think that, overall on Saturday, we were unlucky not to win the game against West Ham. We created plenty of chances, scored two goals, had one disallowed and hit a post.

“I was delighted with the effort.”

Didnt we nearly sign lovenkrands before he wet to rangers? Decent player and for nothing why not? Could spell the end to N'Zogbia time here though. :icon_lol:

As for dacourt and someones remark about "getting a pacey attacking midfielder" well i dont think pace is what w necessarily need in the middle, we need someone to pull the strings, pick a pass, and he has one that his whole career. Again for nowt wouldnt be a bad idea. I'd offer both OD and PL a year and a half contract.

Am i the only one who thinks aron and guthrie would be a good midfielder pairing though?

The good thing about these gossip columns is they didn't have a clue what Newcastle were up to in the last window.

I think the first we heard about Guthrie, Gutierez, Collocini and Bassong was the day the club made the announcements (or had them in the starting line up on a trial).

It's a trend that's continued with the club announcing Lovenkrands on trial without an mention of it previously. Hopefully all Kinnear's patter has been smoke and mirrors.

The good thing about these gossip columns is they didn't have a clue what Newcastle were up to in the last window.

I think the first we heard about Guthrie, Gutierez, Collocini and Bassong was the day the club made the announcements (or had them in the starting line up on a trial).

It's a trend that's continued with the club announcing Lovenkrands on trial without an mention of it previously. Hopefully all Kinnear's patter has been smoke and mirrors.

Hopefully. Id thought that mind, trying to confuse selling clubs as to what our situation really is, could be a clever bit of work but i doubt him nor MA have the mental capacity to conjur up such a plan.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Hopefully. Id thought that mind, trying to confuse selling clubs as to what our situation really is, could be a clever bit of work but i doubt him nor MA have the mental capacity to conjur up such a plan.

Who do you think was responsible for the above? :icon_lol:

Didnt we nearly sign lovenkrands before he wet to rangers? Decent player and for nothing why not? Could spell the end to N'Zogbia time here though. :icon_lol:

As for dacourt and someones remark about "getting a pacey attacking midfielder" well i dont think pace is what w necessarily need in the middle, we need someone to pull the strings, pick a pass, and he has one that his whole career. Again for nowt wouldnt be a bad idea. I'd offer both OD and PL a year and a half contract.

Am i the only one who thinks aron and guthrie would be a good midfielder pairing though?

First of all good, get rid of the prick as soon as possible if only stop him trying to flog himself every transfer window.

And secondly I don't think Gutherie could make a good midfield pairing with anyone, at best he could make an average one.

we need stregth in depth. though all three are short of quality (2 being past their best) they'd help us through the injury crisis.....

and for free I won't complain about signing them, it just depends what happens with the rest of the squad with regards to money being made/spent

Id happily get rid of Nzog now. Was keen to keep him before the season began, but he spouts off too much about moving for my liking. Id rather have Duff play there where he wanted to, rather than someone who is just trying to do anything to get away.

I have almost no doubt that what JFK says is more or less what JFK thinks is happening. What is actually happening though, that is another thing altogether. If we see players signed that we've heard nought about, it's probably because JFL had nought to do with their signings, and as we all know the 'scouting team' have no public interface (Dennis Wise can't see over the table in media conferences).