Real ready to let Saviola leave

Scottish Mag

Real Madrid are believed to be ready to let Argentina international striker Javier Saviola leave the Bernabeu in the winter transfer window.

Saviola has struggled to make an impact with Real following his arrival from bitter rivals Barcelona in the summer of 2007.

Premier League trio Everton, Portsmouth and Newcastle are all reported to have made tentative enquiries over securing his services, although no formal bids have been received.

The former River Plate ace, who spent spells on loan with Monaco and Sevilla during the closing stages of his Barca career, is not in the plans of new Real boss Juande Romas.

Sporting director Predrag Mijatovic has been handed the task of securing an exit for Saviola, who is under contract with the La Liga giants until 2011.

A club source admitted: "We are open to some lines but the time is key in this subject."

Although Real appear ready to let the player nicknamed 'The Little Rabbit' leave, Saviola refuses to accept that the curtain has been brought down on his career in the Spanish capital.

He said: "I want to stay with Real and fight for an opportunity. I will only consider leaving if I receive an offer of a big project."

I expect the conference will go along the lines of "We've put a bid in" and then Joe Kinnear will tell us just exactly how much, what time they put the bid in, what the player had for breakfast and how many other signings will joining him (the number of which decreases every day) which does nothing but confirm they've done fuck all.