Souness' cry for help

adios

Source

Souness 'suicidal' over injuries

Graeme Souness says he is 'suicidal' over Newcastle's current injury crisis, but he is hopeful Michael Owen will be fit for Sunday's Tyne-Wear derby.

Souness is missing a host of players including Kieron Dyer, Albert Luque, Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro and Craig Moore - while Nolberto Solano, Lee Bowyer and Owen are all touch and go for this weekend's big clash with Sunderland.

"To say I am suicidal about the current state of affairs is not far off the mark," he admitted.

"It is very difficult to take because it is happening all the time. There never seems to be any let up.

"You could understand the odd strain here and there because footballers have always had those, but this is just one after another.

"We have had the worst of it at Newcastle, but I know for a fact that Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson are tearing their hair out about it too. There seems to be no end in sight."

Souness's side have altered their training practices after switching pitches.

"While the pitches we have today look fantastic they are not user-friendly in that when they get cut up, all you do is skim a scar across the surface. There is no give," he opined.

"Obviously you don't want to go back to the old days where there was barely a blade of grass on some pitches, but there were certainly fewer muscle strains. The surface could take a stud better because they were not as hard."

"We are keeping an open mind at Newcastle, but there has to be a reason for this. I feel very strongly that we have to get to the bottom of it because we are losing players all the time."

Owen is the latest Toon star to be struck down by injury, but Souness is confident the England striker will be fit.

"Michael came off the training ground on Tuesday, but he has not pulled his hamstring," he said.

"There is a tightness there and coming off was a precautionary measure, but we hope he will be okay for Sunday.

"We will have to see how he is over the next couple of days, but we are very optimistic. A hamstring is one of those areas where you have to be very careful and especially with this club's track record in that department.

"The fans here have barely seen Emre, who has suffered a hamstring strain for the first time in his life.

"Kieron Dyer has a recurring problem and Albert Luque lasted barely a game and a half. Michael Owen has now got a niggle and Nobby Solano suffered a strain almost from the moment he came here. Titus Bramble has also picked up a thigh strain.

"The odd strain or two you could handle, but this is just relentless."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the sentiments above, I'd like to see his first eleven get a good run (or even a game!) together. There is about £40 million worth of talent there, but if he does get sacked whoever comes in to replace him will want to do some wheeling and dealing. We might never see that team play.

Where does he want to be pushed from

47632[/snapback]

It wouldn't techincally be suicide then though would it?

The double bonus would be we'd get a new manager and Leazes would get locked up :o

47642[/snapback]

He'd actually be locked up and force fed his own shit if the brand of justice he would like to see become widespread was used :crylaughin:

Where does he want to be pushed from

47632[/snapback]

It wouldn't techincally be suicide then though would it?

The double bonus would be we'd get a new manager and Leazes would get locked up :crylaughin:

47642[/snapback]

not very nice, in returning for educating you :o

Poor old Graeme. In return for being one of the worst managers to ever manage an premiership club, he's made even more money than he did for being a great player. So he's suicidal. He should spare a thought for how he's left some of us after the vast majority of shit performances his team has churned out, not to mention kicking out of the club the one player who saw through him and had the courage to say what he is.

Its hardly a great moral boost for the players prior to the derby match.

You don't hear Mick McCarthy whingeing on and lets face it he has plenty to whinge about - 2p to spend compared to 40 million, a half empty stadium and a team full of lower league players. He couldn't dream even of buying the ones we let go on the cheap never mind Michael Owen.

Imagine the job Souness would do if he had to try and manage without any money and actaully had to spot new talent instead of buying established players.

Edited by Super7

You don't hear Mick McCarthy whingeing on and lets face it he has plenty to whinge about - 2p to spend compared to 40 million, a half empty stadium and a team full of lower league players. He couldn't dream even of buying the ones we let go on the cheap never mind Michael Owen.

Imagine the job Souness would do if he had to try and manage without any money and actaully had to spot new talent instead of buying established players.

47715[/snapback]

To be fair though, the expectation at Sunderland is WAY less than at Newcastle.

:crylaughin:

47715[/snapback]

47795[/snapback]

Very good point from Super7 I thought.

And tbf AF, from what I've heard, Sunderland expect to beat us (or at least draw), while we are fearing the worst.

47715[/snapback]

47795[/snapback]

And tbf AF, from what I've heard, Sunderland expect to beat us (or at least draw), while we are fearing the worst.

47834[/snapback]

The 2 clubs have different expectations. I'm not supporting Souness necessarily, but Sunderland fans aren't expecting Champions League football any time soon.

I agree Souness has had VAST resources and should be doing far better, but to compare the 2 situations is misleading IMO.

47715[/snapback]

47795[/snapback]

47834[/snapback]

The 2 clubs have different expectations. I'm not supporting Souness necessarily, but Sunderland fans aren't expecting Champions League football any time soon.

I agree Souness has had VAST resources and should be doing far better, but to compare the 2 situations is misleading IMO.

47885[/snapback]

Neither am I.

I don't see your point. Souness is making excuses in advance, MicMac isn't. What's that got to do with expectations? The fact is, we should win this easily. I doubt we will with Souness though.

i feel sorry for him up to a point. he has assembled a bery good starting eleven and it's a shame we haven't seen them all on the pitch at the same time yet. but while our first team has improved, our squad is now far poorer under souness.

it was always risky to spend all your budget on a small number of qulity players that will perform when fit while sacrificing able squad players like ambrose, robert, kluivert and hughes - i'm not even going to open the bellamy can of worms.

i would have liked to see us keep a few of the above - especially those on small ages like hughes and ambrose - on top of the players we have signed.

Neither am I.

I don't see your point. Souness is making excuses in advance, MicMac isn't. What's that got to do with expectations? The fact is, we should win this easily. I doubt we will with Souness though.

47891[/snapback]

The point is:

Newcastle: £40m : High expectations : More pressure

Sunderland: £5.99 : Low expectations : Less pressure

It's got nothing to with my opinion of either manager's talent (or lack of), more that all the elements cancel themselves out.

Curbishley has less money, less pressure, less expectation.

Mourinho has more money, more pressure, more expectation.

Souness is doing absolutely cack, but to compare him to McCarthy isn't very relevant IMO. That's all.

Neither am I.

47891[/snapback]

The point is:

Newcastle: £40m : High expectations : More pressure

Sunderland: £5.99 : Low expectations : Less pressure

It's got nothing to with my opinion of either manager's talent (or lack of), more that all the elements cancel themselves out.

Curbishley has less money, less pressure, less expectation.

Mourinho has more money, more pressure, more expectation.

Souness is doing absolutely cack, but to compare him to McCarthy isn't very relevant IMO. That's all.

47912[/snapback]

So, hypothetically, if Sunderland finished above us in the league, that wouldn't be relevant then? That wouldn't say something about each of the managers' abilities?

FFS, more excuses, that's all I hear. This latest one being the expectation/pressure is too much. Tell you what then. Lets sell all our players and let him build a team with less than £10 M, and not put any pressure on him, except to tell him to keep us in the CL. Then we'll get better, yes? Or do you think Souness would start whinging "But I've got no money...."?

Edited by Renton

I agree about the comments re: expectations but that doesn't mean you can't compare managers and say, for example, Curbishley is better than Souness.

So, hypothetically, if Sunderland finished above us in the league, that wouldn't be relevant then? That wouldn't say something about each of the managers' abilities?

FFS, more excuses, that's all I hear. This latest one being the expectation/pressure is too much. Tell you what then. Lets sell all our players and let him build a team with less than £10 M, and not put any pressure on him, except to tell him to keep us in the CL. Then we'll get better, yes? Or do you think Souness would start whinging "But I've got no money...."?

47918[/snapback]

Are you deliberately trying to look stupid? :crylaughin:

If Sunderland finish above us then McCarthy will have done incredibly well.

Less resources for a better result = great management.

I've said that Souness is doing badly, with the resources he's had it's embarrassing. I'd STILL like to see his first team play (as I'm sure he would :o )

I'm not excusing him, he's doing shite.

47918[/snapback]

Are you deliberately trying to look stupid? :crylaughin:

If Sunderland finish above us then McCarthy will have done incredibly well.

Less resources for a better result = great management.

I've said that Souness is doing badly, with the resources he's had it's embarrassing. I'd STILL like to see his first team play (as I'm sure he would :o )

I'm not excusing him, he's doing shite.

47923[/snapback]

Well you sound like you're contradicting yourself to me, but then that's nothing new.

Well you sound like you're contradicting yourself to me, but then that's nothing new.

47926[/snapback]

How!? :crylaughin:

You can't compare the target for McCarthy with the target for Souness.

A chairman (fairly) expects results from his investment. McCarthy has one target based on one figure, Souness has another based on his. I'd understand your argument if you were using Curbishley as an example, but McCarthy's no Brian Clough is he?

Souness is just doing plain badly that's all.

47926[/snapback]

How!? :crylaughin:

You can't compare the target for McCarthy with the target for Souness.

A chairman (fairly) expects results from his investment. McCarthy has one target based on one figure, Souness has another based on his. I'd understand your argument if you were using Curbishley as an example, but McCarthy's no Brian Clough is he?

Souness is just doing plain badly that's all.

47934[/snapback]

When did targets come into it? You said "Souness is doing absolutely cack, but to compare him to McCarthy isn't very relevant IMO". Why not compare them? If Souness does worse with ten times the money, then it makes it an even stronger case that he is a shit manager, which it would appear you agree with.

We're only arguing because we're bored anyway I suggest. At the end of the day, Souness must win on Sunday. Full stop.

We're only arguing because we're bored anyway I suggest. At the end of the day, Souness must win on Sunday. Full stop.

47937[/snapback]

I think you thought I was saying something which I wasn't. Or something.

To be honest, if we don't finish in the top four, Souness should be banned from every football ground for the rest of his life.