Not quite went to plan has it?

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United Chairman Chris Mort addresses the vacant managerial position at St. James' Park in his Black n White matchday programme notes for Wednesday's FA Cup tie against Stoke City ...

There has been a great deal of speculation in the past week over who will replace Sam Allardyce as the manager of Newcastle United. The most important thing now is to get the decision right - and lay solid foundations for the future.That is why we will take whatever time is necessary in making the decision.

This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the Club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria, which include:

- To have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task. There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them.In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning. We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football "on the carpet" as Sir Bobby Robson recently described it I think they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

- A manager that can speak English. There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

- We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters - we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

Kevin Keegan has been promised funds to help turn Newcastle into a club that can attract the biggest names.

Ahead of Newcastle's clash with Chelsea, chairman Chris Mort said they are looking to the future when considering which players to buy.

"Over the summer, we will look to strengthen the squad further," he said.

"In addition to immediate fixes, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long-term."

Newcastle have already missed out on the signing of midfielder Luka Modric, who rejected a lucrative offer to join Tottenham instead.

However, Mort is confident that Newcastle are heading in the right direction and that they will soon be in a position to attract player's like the 22-year-old Croatian international.

:rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder whether Mort saw all this coming and didn't want to appear like a lying twat by leaving from being the club's mouthpiece.

I think his was always a short term appointment for the transition period.

Like getting Theo Paphitis in for a transition and once he's gone replacing him with David Brent.

I can't help but wonder whether Mort saw all this coming and didn't want to appear like a lying twat by leaving from being the club's mouthpiece.

I think his was always a short term appointment for the transition period.

Like getting Theo Paphitis in for a transition and once he's gone replacing him with David Brent.

You're right there however I think that if Ashley ahd stuck to his promises then I reckon Mort may well have reconsidered and taken the job full time. It definitely appeared he was liking the whole thing.

To be fair, looking at that first quote, we've got an English speaking manager that wanted the job and is giving the kids a chance.

He's not playing it on the carpet, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad. <_<

He's got no choice but to give the kids a chance Wise and co have seen to that.