NUFC Accounts

snakehips

The thing is, if crippling wages are the problem, Ashley / Llambias should have come out and told us that. Another thing - who was in control of the club when Smith, Geremi, Viduka and Barton were signed and got these contracts?

Allardyce has a lot to answer for too.

Wouldn't have been involved in contract negotiations though, would he?

No but no matter what we paid these players they would have been poor value.

That's by the by. The current regime seem intent on trimming the wage bill but they have to carry some of the can for giving these people the large wages in the first place. That's not a defence of Allardyce's pretty ordinary record in the transfer market. I can sort of understand Viduka because he was a free so you have to balance his high wage against savings on the lack of a fee.

I think that when you look at it overall, including the above, it smacks of a pretty shambolic plan from Ashley and co, which may go some way to explaining the constant contradictions that come out of the club. I understand that the 'global financial meltdown' has perhaps played its part but I think the investment in the team was inadequate prior to that in the 3 transfer windows beforehand. There may be reasons for that that are not the fault of the board. Maybe we really did try for Modric and Woodgate etc. Although I have reason to be believe at least one of those approaches were lukewarm. You have to wonder what Ashley is playing at. He sacked Allardyce and brought in KK. But he also approached Redknapp. He's brought in a chairman who never speaks to the fans and a DoF (for want of a better word) who seems to have a massive influence on 1st team affairs despite having a managerial track record that is nothing special and certainly vastly inferior to those who have had (of would have had to) work under him.

The continued positions of Lambias and Wise are puzzling since they are both highly replaceable and netther seems to add much benefit to the club.

The point about trimming the wage bill is important as the accounts show that we need need to trim this to turn us back into a going concern / viable business.

Someone said above that you cant think of a football clubs as a normal business. This is so wrong, its hard to know where to start. Perhaps Leeds, or Hearts, or Charlton Athletic would be good places.

From a 'management' perspective, Ashley has been cynical and stupid but from a financial point of view, the accounts show that the tranfer window activity has been necessary.

I've got very little time for him but i do think during times of turbulence and hostility, its important to see a balanced picture of events.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that whenever the contracts and big earners are discussed, the list never includes Shay Given. I take it this means that he's some way behind the others in terms of earnings. Does this partly explain his current dissatisfaction? It certainly seems to strengthen the view that more loyal service you give a club, the further down the pecking order you find yourself when it comes to salaries!

Maybe keepers don't command the salaries outfield players do, I've no idea, but I'm sure he earns his money a damn sight more than the likes of Smith & Viduka do!

Seamus, and I would include Martins and Beye in it, will be decent salaries and I imagine the likes of Colo and Guti are now also.

Viduka, Geremi, Duff, Butt and Smith contribute very little, Barton is a probably our best central midfielder but for a reported 60k a week we should possibly have better and hes missed that many games through jailtime/suspensions/injuries and in Owens case there is no doubt he is a good player but can we as a club afford to pay one man over 100k a week.

It would be interesting to know exactly what Wise & Co. are picking up for their efforts.

I recall Wise's salary as being quoted at £1 million when he started.

A bit of googling has revealed that the papers were claiming he's on £1.5m, treble his salary at Leeds. ;)

The thing is, if crippling wages are the problem, Ashley / Llambias should have come out and told us that. Another thing - who was in control of the club when Smith, Geremi, Viduka and Barton were signed and got these contracts?

That's by the by. The current regime seem intent on trimming the wage bill but they have to carry some of the can for giving these people the large wages in the first place. That's not a defence of Allardyce's pretty ordinary record in the transfer market. I can sort of understand Viduka because he was a free so you have to balance his high wage against savings on the lack of a fee.

I think that when you look at it overall, including the above, it smacks of a pretty shambolic plan from Ashley and co, which may go some way to explaining the constant contradictions that come out of the club. I understand that the 'global financial meltdown' has perhaps played its part but I think the investment in the team was inadequate prior to that in the 3 transfer windows beforehand. There may be reasons for that that are not the fault of the board. Maybe we really did try for Modric and Woodgate etc. Although I have reason to be believe at least one of those approaches were lukewarm. You have to wonder what Ashley is playing at. He sacked Allardyce and brought in KK. But he also approached Redknapp. He's brought in a chairman who never speaks to the fans and a DoF (for want of a better word) who seems to have a massive influence on 1st team affairs despite having a managerial track record that is nothing special and certainly vastly inferior to those who have had (of would have had to) work under him.

Ashley was pushed pretty hard to get those players by Allardyce and at the time I don't think there were enough football people on board to run judgement over whether they were good value or not. SBR even tried to warn the club that Geremi was shot but no one listened. A lot of the damage was done by the decision to appoint Allardyce and we are still paying for it if these accounts are anything to go by.

Ashley was pushed pretty hard to get those players by Allardyce and at the time I don't think there were enough football people on board to run judgement over whether they were good value or not. SBR even tried to warn the club that Geremi was shot but no one listened. A lot of the damage was done by the decision to appoint Allardyce and we are still paying for it if these accounts are anything to go by.

So he backed Allardyce and not Keegan? Aye, fair play to him there like ;)

So he backed Allardyce and not Keegan? Aye, fair play to him there like ;)

He definitely backed the wrong man with his cash if that was all he was going to make available.

Given the man he backed wasn't even his appointment.

A lot of people expressed concern at the time that Ashley and Mort weren't football men so wouldn't know how the transfer market works. In fact one of those people was Allardyce ;)

A lot of people expressed concern at the time that Ashley and Mort weren't football men so wouldn't know how the transfer market works. In fact one of those people was Allardyce ;)

With the team he has working for him now though, no such problems :)

The continued positions of Lambias and Wise are puzzling since they are both highly replaceable and netther seems to add much benefit to the club.

The point about trimming the wage bill is important as the accounts show that we need need to trim this to turn us back into a going concern / viable business.

Someone said above that you cant think of a football clubs as a normal business. This is so wrong, its hard to know where to start. Perhaps Leeds, or Hearts, or Charlton Athletic would be good places.

From a 'management' perspective, Ashley has been cynical and stupid but from a financial point of view, the accounts show that the tranfer window activity has been necessary.

I've got very little time for him but i do think during times of turbulence and hostility, its important to see a balanced picture of events.

I sort of agree with you, but the problem isn't WHAT he's doing as such, but more that it's completely different to what he SAYS he's doing.

If he just said "this club is in the shit, we need to get rid of players on big money in order to avoid going under" then people couldn't really complain. It's the big promises that don't ever come true that winds everyone up.

Ashley clearly doesn't want to spend any more money so whatever team he has it makes no difference. What we need is a new owner with lots of money which I don't see on the horizon.

Ashley clearly doesn't want to spend any more money so whatever team he has it makes no difference. What we need is a new owner with lots of money which I don't see on the horizon.

I disagree, although the damage is done. The team he brought in clearly has been detrimental to the club.

I disagree, although the damage is done. The team he brought in clearly has been detrimental to the club.

Even if it has (I certainly wouldn't argue about Llambias) it's his money so he is going to go with his men. The only way out of this is a for someone to buy him out. I doubt very much he's going to be brow beaten into changing his team if he thinks they are doing the job he wants them to.

You said it makes no difference what management team he has. That's what I was disagreeing with. He's obviously stubborn and sticking to his guns but to add to what I said previously about the damage being done already, it'll be detrimental in terms of bringing in anyone decent to work under / alongside them as well. He loves JFK though so no need to worry about that for now.

Edited by alex

I don't think anyone has said Shepherd is the only one to blame here even if some of those signings above were negotiated by his son, the fact is since completing a review of the club it's obvious that the biggest thing holding us back is a crippling wage bill, I don't bother getting into the big club debates but as far as money coming in there are not many in the league that could touch us which is why it's even more frustrating that we're losing so much money.

The likes of Everton, Villa and Spurs manage with a sensible wage cap so we should be able to do the same, I think the nusc finances website said it best with this...

In summary what Shepherd left was a club that was losing over £30m a year, had debts of £70m, had no assets they could borrow more money against, and had a set of players on long, lucrative contracts. Ashley can get rid of the debt but the £30m annual losses with over paid players will take longer to sort out.

I sort of agree with you, but the problem isn't WHAT he's doing as such, but more that it's completely different to what he SAYS he's doing.

If he just said "this club is in the shit, we need to get rid of players on big money in order to avoid going under" then people couldn't really complain. It's the big promises that don't ever come true that winds everyone up.

I don't remember people saying fair enough when there was talk of him looking to cut the wage bill back in the Summer.

You are behaving like battered wives refusing to leave their husbands.

He bought the club to make money -no other reason, he has no interest at all in wha the supporters might want or having a succesful team. Look at his business empire, cheap tat piled high with no regard for staff or respect for customers

The only unanswered question is did he buy the club to flog on straight away for a quick profit, or did he buy it to run it on the cheap for as long as possible as an ongoing cash cow.

He is an asset stripping cunt who cares about nothing but making money

Nae offense mate but an audited account by Enrst and Young doesnt lie and thats clearly shown as utter bollocks by these accounts.

As for his profit motive, i'm fucking delighted that he is driven by making money, i'd hate us to be the only football club in the world without a chairman that is and therefore being run by someone potentially clinically insane.

An audited account by Enrst and Young might not lie, but it also doesnt tell anything like the full story. As mentioned before it takes no account of the money from next two years season ticket sales, or am I expected to believe that has been put into a bank account untouched until the relevant season. At the very least it must have some effect on cash flow.

I dont get how the accounts disprove my assertion anyway, bought the company, paid off the debt flog off as many players and bring in cheap replacements, if it wasnt for the credit crunch I would imagine he could have turned himself a very tidy quick profit.

He hasnt sold it, plainly thinks we arent going to get relegated, and that the fans will turn up regdless and the years to come will see media money increasing as the wage bill tumbles. Flog off a couple of his mate Wisey's imports at a healthy profit every year, jobs a gudun

Your last comment is frankly bizzarre, Its nice your happy about his motives though. Me, I prefer someone whose ambitions stretched to having a succesful club

These accounts come out and King Cunt crawls out the woodwork again.

I know it's hard when you find out that if it wasn't for Ashley guaranteeing to support us financially we would be in administration but you've got to take it on the chin.