Allardyce sacking pushed Newcastle United closer to obscurity

Jimbo

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the bloke. I can't stand him and he seemingly has an ego inversely proportional to his talent. It was merely the relegation thing. He'd have needed 7 points (maybe only 6) in the last 14 games to stay up.

I could never see where those points would have come from tbh - I think comparing positions simplistically takes no account of the fixture list.

We certainly wouldn't have been able to play with any freedom at Spurs and would have lost imo - I also think he would have been too negative in the derby and we may not have won it. Also as the end of the season approached I can't even begin to contemplate how much more negative the twat would have made us.

I'm not saying we'd have picked up as many points / played with that freedom of Spurs. But to say we wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of 2 wins, 1 draw and 11 losses (or better) from our last 14 games is a tad hysterical imo. Again, I'm not sticking up for the bloke beyond saying relegation was highly unlikely.

Edited by alex

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the bloke. I can't stand him and he seemingly has an ego inversely proportional to his talent. It was merely the relegation thing. He'd have needed 7 points (maybe only 6) in the last 14 games to stay up.

I could never see where those points would have come from tbh - I think comparing positions simplistically takes no account of the fixture list.

We certainly wouldn't have been able to play with any freedom at Spurs and would have lost imo - I also think he would have been too negative in the derby and we may not have won it. Also as the end of the season approached I can't even begin to contemplate how much more negative the twat would have made us.

I'm not saying we'd have picked up as many points / played with that freedom of Spurs. But to say we wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of 2 wins, 1 draw and 11 losses (or better) from our last 14 games is a tad hysterical imo. Again, I'm not sticking up for the bloke beyond saying relegation was highly unlikely.

That's what Fop said at the time. ;)

When he left we had 26 pts - Reading went down with 36 and a similar GD so we'd have needed 11 points as a minimum - I think we'd have struggled to get that many.

When he left we had 26 pts - Reading went down with 36 and a similar GD so we'd have needed 11 points as a minimum - I think we'd have struggled to get that many.

I apologise if my maths is wrong. There was an article stating we'd had 8 wins and 6 draws when he left when I looked. It doesn't really alter my view. Fulham stayed up with 36 as well iirc. Obviously it's pure speculation (i.e. we might not have beaten Fulham, etc). We were awful to watch but we weren't going down imo. Moot anyway.

It would have been touch and go imo is my point - in response to the article suggesting we were safe with no chance of relegation.

The reason I'm so worried this year is that even with players returning from injury, I think the lack of a focal point to boost confidence as we had least year will be fatal.

Aye, the stuff about Allardyce in the article is laughable. I take it you went to Fulham away last season btw (I know you go to a few away games and work in the City). I was there as well and it's one of the most insipid matches I've ever seen. I wouldn't care but Fulham were a fucking awful side at the time and had nothing to offer and we were there hoping for a draw and scraping a lucky win. Sums 'Big Sam' up in many ways.

Edited by alex

Aye, the stuff about Allardyce in the article is laughable. I take it you went to Fulham away last season btw (I know you go to a few away games and work in the City). I was there as well and it's one of the most insipid matches I've ever seen. I wouldn't care but Fulham were a fucking awful side at the time and had nothing to offer and we were there hoping for a draw and scraping a lucky win. Sums 'Big Sam' up in many ways.

Yeah - my unrating of Kinnear aside, I didn't mind in the slightest his gameplan for Chelsea but Allardyce's "respect" for shit teams was soul destroying.