Swedish starlet eyes Toon switch

Scottish Mag

Swedish starlet Samuel Adjei is hoping to seal a move to Newcastle United.

The 17-year-old currently plays for lower league Swedish side Jonkoping Sodra.

But he has featured for Sweden's Under-16 side and he has caught the eye of a number of foreign clubs, with Newcastle and Porto believed to be leading the chase.

Now Newcastle are understood to have made a bid for the winger, who himself is delighted with The Magpies' interest

"Chances like these don't just grow on trees, so when it appears you wanna grab it," he told his local newspaper Jnytt.

Adjei spent time training with Newcastle in November and he looks to have done enough to persuade the club to finalise a bid for him.

"The interest is big and they want me, I hope that Newcastle and Jonkoping Sodra can make an agreement."

Jonkoping are not convinced that Adjei will be leaving.

"Both we and Newcastle have seen there is an interest around Samuel," said director Daniel Segerfeldt.

"Our approach is that he is going to play for us."

One player seemingly not on his way to St James' Park is Marco Donadel, after his agent denied that he was having talks with the North East club.

It was claimed that the 24-year-old Fiorentina midfielder was keen on a move to England.

"There is nothing new at the moment, but we are prepared to assess any offers that do arrive," Davide Lippi told Firenzeviola.it.

"Marco has several suitors, not only in Italy but also abroad, even though he has rarely played this season.

"However, he would like to remain in Florence as he wants to live in the city for a long time.

"There are no concrete offers right now, but there comes a time in every footballer's career when you have to make an inevitable choice..."

Donadel has been with Fiorentina since 2005, after joining from AC Milan.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have confirmed that young Hungarian defender Tamas Kadar will miss the rest of the season after he broke his leg during a reserve team match.

"It's a blow to the boy and to the first-team squad," coach Richard Money said.

"He's been on the bench recently and has made himself part of that squad because he's been playing very well.

"It put a downer on what was an otherwise terrific win.

"We wish him all the best and I know he's got the character to come back."

;) This lad lived in my home town (and it's a smaaaaaall town, believe me) and currently plays for "my" team in Sweden. So on a personal note it would be special if he signed for the Toon. Don't know much about him football-wise though, more than that he's supposed to be very talented. Edited by hostile_statue

• 3 weeks later...
How can we sign him outside the window or is this a precontract for the Summer ?

I've been wondering that myself :lol: May be a precontract, may be special rules concerning the lads' young age. Also I'm not sure what kind of contract he was on at Jönköpings Södra.

Edited by hostile_statue

We better be winning the league in a few seasons time with all these bloody youngsters being brought in...

Good to see were bringing alot of youngsters in. Just need to find the diamonds in the rough now.

Personally i think its great that were building up a decent bunch of younguns.

However, the priority should be building up the 1st team squad at the mo.

How do we know that they are decent though?

NEWCASTLE have agreed a deal to sign another promising youngster – Swedish striker Samuel Adjei.

Adjei is expected on Tyneside this week for a medical and to complete formalities on his move from Swedish Second Division club Jonkopings Sodra IF.

United are understood to have agreed to pay a significant fee for Adjei, a Sweden Under-16 international who only turned 17 last month.

“We are pleased with what we have achieved in the negotiations with Newcastle,” said Jonkopings director Daniel Segerfeldt.

Adjei was discovered as a 12-year-old by lower league Swedish club Waggeryds IK, whose president Michael Anderberg said: “He has always been an extraordinary talent.”

keep your fingers crossed and hope this lad is not another frigging Shola Ameobi

Don't even say it! :lol:

Personally I think its great that we're building a solid foundation of talent.

Lets face it, we were never going to attract the kind of players we need until our current team start putting together a few decent results to convince any player with more than half a brain to join us.

I think we've done well so far with nolen, taylor & lovenkrands. fuck knows why they would come to a sinking ship...! We're lucky we're managing to get highly rated youngsters to sign with the state the club is in at the minute.

So that about 47 youth team strikers we have at the club now :lol:

After Joe Kinnear has subjected them to his Crazy Gang style team building methods - i.e. spraying Ralgex on their undies, setting fire to their clothes and shitting in their shoes - that number will rapidly shrink to zero.