First signing confirmed!!!

smoggeordie

if we sign at least 3-4 more players in positions that we need cover, i'll say he's a decent addition addition to the squad.

as things stand, i'm humming panic by the smiths in my head

if we sign at least 3-4 more players in positions that we need cover, i'll say he's a decent addition addition to the squad.

as things stand, i'm humming panic by the smiths in my head

Aye it's (marginally) better than nothing, but still it should have been done at the end of the season. And the quality of the squad next season is going to be shocking when we lose 6-8 of the current first team in the summer.

Løvenkrands ready for a survival scrap

Jan 24 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

A MOVE to Newcastle United may have been the only one available to him, but Peter Løvenkrands is adamant it is also the right one as he expressed his delight at finally signing for the Magpies.

Løvenkrands could have signed for Newcastle eight years ago, when Sir Bobby Robson was manager, but elected to join Glasgow Rangers instead, and the Danish international is thrilled to have been given another chance to become a United player.

The 28-year-old, who was a free agent following the termination of his contract at Bundesliga side FC Schalke, has only played nine minutes’ first-team football in Germany this season, having been frozen out of the picture in Gelsenkirchen since the summer arrival of coach Fred Rutten.

But he is desperate to prove he deserves to be given a long-term contract at St James’s Park, having initially only signed a deal until the end of the season.

“It’s going to be tough this season because it’s so tight at the bottom, but we have got a lot of quality and hopefully I can add to that,” said Løvenkrands, who will wear the number 24 shirt.

“I’ve got a great opportunity to impress and hopefully win a contract beyond then. I know all about Newcastle United. This club is so big and amazing and for me and my family, this is definitely the right move.”

Løvenkrands also insisted he is more than happy to play through the middle, despite spending the majority of his career on the wing at Ibrox.

He explained: “I will play anywhere, but I’m a striker. Rangers put me on the left-wing because I was fast. But in my last half season at Rangers, I scored 18 goals from the striker position and proved that I can play there. It’s my preferred position.” Løvenkrands is primed to make his debut at Manchester City next Wednesday as manager Joe Kinnear continues to struggle with injuries and suspensions.

And the forward predicted he would not be the only player making their debut that night, with former Magpie Craig Bellamy also moving to Manchester from West Ham earlier this week and Newcastle still looking to add to their squad.

He added: “I don’t think I’ll be the only new signing in the game at Man City because they have added a few, but I can’t wait for my debut. It’s a tough game, but we know that every point counts between now and May, and we are definitely looking to get a result.”

The signing of Løvenkrands, who made his last appearance for Denmark back in September, is not a mouth-watering one for supporters who are growing increasingly nervous about the lack of progress in the transfer market, particularly in terms of a full-back and a creative midfielder. But his versatility means he is a useful addition for Kinnear, who predicted he will have a big impact over the next five months.

He said: “Peter has spent nearly two weeks with us now and has really impressed. He’s settled straight in with the rest of the lads and has enjoyed being with us.

“We are delighted to get a player with such experience on board. He’s definitely a threat going forward and we are hoping he can help us to get some of the points which will see us move up the table.”

just listened to snippit of his interview on .co.uk main page and his scottish accent is well stronger than what i'd expected!

hopefully a good addition to our squad but with 24 days gone i'd hoped for far more progress than this!

btw, on skysports transfer clockwatch it has this:

12.49 Real Madrid's out-of-favor striker Javier Saviola has described his situation as "intolerable" and says he wants to leave the club this month if he remains on the sidelines. Portsmouth are rumoured to be interested.

would be worth a go for another loan deal, ?

Regardless of what people are saying, or other opinions, he cost us nothing, he is experienced, he is pacey and versitile. It can only be a good move for us, whether it be short term or whatever.

Lets just hope he doesnt do his hamstring ay. :(

Regardless of what people are saying, or other opinions, he cost us nothing, he is experienced, he is pacey and versitile. It can only be a good move for us, whether it be short term or whatever.

Are we really paying this clown 35k a week?

Even so there was no transfer fee so £840,000 really isnt a bad outlay for the options he'l give us intil the end of the season.

Even so there was no transfer fee so £840,000 really isnt a bad outlay for the options he'l give us intil the end of the season.

We really need to sort our wage structure out, the guy was on a free why not see if we could of got him for significantly less, its not like anyone else was beating his door down to get him

We really need to sort our wage structure out, the guy was on a free why not see if we could of got him for significantly less, its not like anyone else was beating his door down to get him

Well while agree with you mate, he is quite experienced. I think had he been in his 30's then you could of been more suprised at the 35k wage.

But i just cant see how this is a bad move, it increases our stock, adds maybe another dimention to out somewhat paceless side and its not costing us much.

Though if he is the only signing in january i will be very VERY annoyed.

If he manages to score and get involved as much as le Sib I'll be satisfied.

That will be hard seeing as it was only in Europe that Sibierski looked to do a job for us.

He was pretty gash in the league...

You're not allowed to say that though man. He was a fantastic signing for us. I'm being sarcastic btw.

Like I inferred, I don't have high hopes for this man, if we get a handful of goals and assists he'll be spared entry into my Big Book of Newcastle Debacles, like le sib was.

Like I inferred, I don't have high hopes for this man, if we get a handful of goals and assists he'll be spared entry into my Big Book of Newcastle Debacles, like le sib was.

Fair comment. Le Sib was a certainly a good signing in relation to how little was expected of him even if it is true that he was better in Europe than in the league.

Fair comment. Le Sib was a certainly a good signing in relation to how little was expected of him even if it is true that he was better in Europe than in the league.

That goal against Zulte Waragem was lush :(

If he manages to score and get involved as much as le Sib I'll be satisfied.

But being released by Schalke 4 doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Was he released? Why was his contract "terminated"?

Schalke have released Denmark international forward Peter Lovenkrands after terminating his contract with immediate effect.

The 28-year-old joined the Bundesliga club in the summer of 2006 from Rangers, but has not featured at all for Schalke at all this season.

The club's general manager Andreas Muller confirmed: "Peter has always conducted himself impeccably and he's a good lad. He's a quality striker, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out for him during the last six months.

"In his time here Peter has been unlucky in that he's repeatedly been knocked by serious injuries when things have been going well.

"We have had to make a decision that is right for both sides and I hope he finds a new club as soon as possible and would like to wish him all the best."

Lovenkrands added on his former club's official website: "The decision we have reached is better for both sides and we part on good terms.

"I'm now able to take the next step in my career and I wish Schalke all the best for the second half of the season."

Schalke are beginning to make major changes after recent problems, with Gustavo Varela also having been allowed to leave the club, while Albert Streit has been demoted from the first-team squad.

http://www.football.co.uk/schalke/lovenkra...ke_276290.shtml

He's a crock then, giddy the fuck up. :(