Freddy hoys the boot in

Snake

Shepherd turned us into a laughing stock and Ashley has built quickly on that legacy. End of.

aye sure, he did. Everybody laughed at us when we rose from being a club with one foot in the 3rd division to playing europe and the champions league.

According to people like you, Shepherd was the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock. This ridiculous thinking always makes me laugh. You've spent too long in Manchester, but they are like that down there. Get a backbone and ignore it, laugh back, or tell them to piss off.

Poor show man. Not gonna rake over history but obviously it was SJH at the helm when we went from bottom of the 2nd back into the prem with Keegan. I realise Shepherd was involved with the club but it was Hall leveraging things on the financial side of things. That involved genuine risk and foresight. After that time the club had 'full houses' week in week out as Shepherd says-that and unprecedented TV money. He doesnt have any success to attribute that to though, or tangible success anyway so he's shooting himself in the foot. The Shepherd era had the sort of fan-financing of the club that only one or two clubs could better-but they all won things over that time and continue to do so now.

The Toon is a one club city and during Shepherd's time it has had money hand over fist from the fans (and regularly, in advance of the product it's offering). Shepherd had millions upon millions of other people's money to spend as a chairman and he spent it. Robson spent it well for him (by and large) but I give him no credit for Robson's appointment -his other appointees then spent very badly by and large, and this was worse because we all largely suspected they would.

After the Robson revival (no credit to Shepherd) came to an end and the club needed real direction from the top, we got Souness, Roeder and Allardyce. I'm not even going to waste my time on a critique of that sequence of inspired appointments. According to you though it's ok for a top level club to appoint a sequence of three proven spastics as manager.

As to the rest of what you said about me being Mancunian etc etc I'm gonna largely ignore it because it's nowt more than you having a pop. I can handle that though it's water off a ducks back, if you don't think I've developped coping strategies after being a Newcastle fan living in Manchester for all 31 years of my life then you have a naivety that belies your 60 years. What I will say though is that i've never said Shepherd is the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock-he isn't, but that's hardly a defence of the man. Which is more though, I don't care about any other clubs or any other chairmen-Shepherd made a laughing stock of MY club.

What I will also say (without apology) is that living outside of the Toon in the North West, you do get a practical and daily demonstration of how a club should be run on over a long term. I don't glory in that, it just makes certain things clearer to me. My view is also unpulluted by the fuckwit local press on Tyneside, which during Shepherd's era in particular became nowt more than his PR machine.

At the end of the day you've been made to look daft on God knows how many occasions on this board, with your flawed defence of Shepherd-something which would be the source of embarrasment to anyone else of your 70 years. You have the brassneck to accuse me of having no backbone mate but it's you that routinely flounces off vowing never to return only to re-emerge a few months later hoping your past ignominies have been forgotten. Sad tbh.

Shepherd is clearly bitter that he didn't make a bit more coin out of the sale of the club. He trots that line out every interview. Boo fucking hoo.

you give Hall the credit for appointing Robson as manager despite Shepherd being chairman ? Who do you give the credit to for appointing Keegan #1 considering Keegan in his own book says Hall didn't want him, and it was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who twisted his arm and forced him to sack Ardiles and appoint Keegan ?

I live outside the area too, and nobody has took the piss out of Newcastle to me, the vast majority of people I know have been jealous as fuck of us for the last 15 years.

I don't consider I;ve looked daft about anything, considering I was the only person to call Ashley correctly long before anyone else. Which also puts the Halls and Shepherd into perspective, and the ridiculous assertions that almost anybody would do better than Shepherd, and the Halls.

I meant what I said about mancunians by the way. If they laugh at you, you have to deal with it, but it's part and parcel of being a football fan and fuck all to do with being a Newcastle fan.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to invest in players to compete in the PL, buying players isn't a science it's a lottery most of the time as is hiring mangers. Most PL football clubs carry a lot of debt, some carry huge debt. You can't have it both ways.....Top level football is a gamble look at Spurs, most would say they have a good structure and have gone out and also had good managers, look at where they are.

Aye if success on the cheap were possible, everyone would be doing it, but no one is (not even the much quoted Arsenal).

so basic and yet so ignored by those obsessed with sniping at the old board for anything they can think of.

Who do you give the credit to for appointing Keegan #1 considering Keegan in his own book says Hall didn't want him, and it was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who twisted his arm and forced him to sack Ardiles and appoint Keegan ?

Funny like, I've read Keegan's book several times and he makes refererence to receiving a phone call where the bloke on the other end of the phone said "There are only two people who can save Newcastle United and we're talking right now". That bloke was Sir John Hall.

No reference at all to Hall not wanting him.

Who do you give the credit to for appointing Keegan #1 considering Keegan in his own book says Hall didn't want him, and it was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who twisted his arm and forced him to sack Ardiles and appoint Keegan ?

Funny like, I've read Keegan's book several times and he makes refererence to receiving a phone call where the bloke on the other end of the phone said "There are only two people who can save Newcastle United and we're talking right now". That bloke was Sir John Hall.

To be fair though, it had to be Hall that rang him not Shepherd, he was therefore unlikely to say "there are only two people who can save Newcastle United, Im one but I dont think you're the other".

:(

edit: oops missed the bold in LMs post :rolleyes:

I've typed and posted almost a whole page of clips on here or on NO a while back.......if I could find it quickly I'd copy and paste it in.

If you have the hardback book, it starts on page 203 and carries on for 4 or 5 pages.

Edit

The quote you make Craig, is what happened after the Swindon game when he walked out and SJH called him to ask him to come back.

Edited by LeazesMag

This looks like it :

Keegan says on page 205 in his book "Neither George Forbes nor Peter Mallinger knew that on Monday 3 February 1992 I was being asked to take over as Newcastle Manager on the Wednesday. When it came to the crunch, it was Fletcher, Shepherd and Douglas Hall who wanted me to replace Ossie Ardiles".

Further down the page he says about a meeting they had " I was not very impressed with him (Hall Snr). It was obvious that he wasn't comfortable with my proposed appointment. I could understand why, because he has put his name to an article by Bob Cass in the Mail on Sunday three days earlier which claimed that ossie's job was safe, and I knew that his family had built up a strong friendship with Ossie's. I was also concerned that neither Mallinger nor Forbes was present. Whatever Sir John thought about the situation he was in the minority. The other 3 laid the cards on the table: the club was on its way down and they had to do something very quickly if they were going to halt the decline. It seemed to me that Sir John was being given no choice.

He seemed anxious to get away - his original reason for coming down to London with his wife Lady Mae was to buy some trees in Kew Gardens. But I would not let him slip away until I knew how much money would be available to me for players. He told me that there would be 1m straight away and a further million if it was required. That was what I wanted to hear. It might not sound like a lot of money these days, but then I felt it was as much as I needed"

Further down he says "I must have been the only manager to be appointed without the knowledge of the chairman and vice chairman, neither of whom was informed until an hour before the press conference at which the news was made public. And even the future chairman - the man with the money - indicated that it was his colleagues rather than himself who wanted me."

A few pages later, on page 213, he says "What I did not know what that Sir John hall was playing political games with the other directors, Bob Young, George Forbes, Peter Mallinger and Gordon McKeag, in the matter of funds he had promised me. He was quite prepared to put in his share of the money I needed, which amounted to 40 per cent, but he told the others that they had to find the

remaining 60 per cent. That was not fair, because none of them had been given a say in my appointment, or even known about it, let alone an opportunity to turn down or agree to my original demands. As far as I was concerned, it wasn't their problem and I never held anything against Forbes and Mallinger over the issue.

All this was going on as a sideshow to the relegation battle and I decided that enough was enough. I filled Terry {Mac} in on the details and told him that we had no alternative but to go. Sir John had to keep his promises, regardless of his problems with the others and how much they might or might not put in."

Later, on pagef 214, he says "The player I wanted, Darren McDonough from Luton, was only going to cost £100,000, a fraction of the 1m or even the 2m pledged to me to get the club out of trouble"

Then, after the Swindon game, while driving out of the ground with Terry (Mac) - " I'm finished here and none of you know. I was furious, not with Forbes, Mallinger or the other directors, but with Sir John Hall".

I have the book at work - I'll have a look at it tomorrow and find the piece i'm referring to. It is most definitely NOT with regards to when he walked out after a month.

I have the book at work - I'll have a look at it tomorrow and find the piece i'm referring to. It is most definitely NOT with regards to when he walked out after a month.

I'm nearly sure it is.

wanna bet :(

:rolleyes:

Just re-read it. Can't see the reference to that "2 people who can save NUFC bit", but I acknowlege it's not in the bit I said it was.

That said, KK's appointment to me was all down to Fletcher - a man who I always thought was the string puller and someone we really missed when he left the club. SJH seemed a bit hesitant probably on the back of the fact he'd just assured the local press that Ossie's job was safe.

The main point for me is that Hall put the money down while it was still a personal risk. Obviously he ultimately gained financially as history shows, but he wasn't clairvoyant.

Shepherd's tenure was basically characterised by money flooding in in unprecedented amounts and him spending it. That only makes him look like a visionary compared to the current fat cunt who wont spend it, but in absolute terms it's hardly an achievement. As for his last 3 appointments, they speak for themselves. You show me one top club where that would have been allowed to happen.

Shepherd's a fan of the club but he's a fan of Freddy Shepherd first so get it in perspective Leazes. He's still evidently bitter he had to sell to Ashley 'on the cheap'. Tough fucking shit; if you'd been better at your job Freddy you'd have got a better price for it. What fucking planet does he live on?

Nobody should ever look the other way at the awful mismanagement perpetrated by FFS while he was here. But for all his faults, he was a fan, he did care about the club doing well, he was never afraid to confront criticism, and he wasn't a freeloader trying to strip as much as he could from our club like one of his charv sportswear stores.

You sure?

Fat Ash gets slagged off by employing Keegan as a way to get the 'Geordie Nation' on board and it being nothing more than a publicity exercise.

Fletcher/Shepherd and Hall (jnr) employed Keegan as............the exact the same reasons.

Fat Ash gets slagged off by employing Keegan as a way to get the 'Geordie Nation' on board and it being nothing more than a publicity exercise.

Fletcher/Shepherd and Hall (jnr) employed Keegan as............the exact the same reasons.

Bit of a difference in terms of the backing he received though. Not to mention actually fulfilling the vision KK was sold to get him to take the job.

Maybe if Fat Ash had then backed Keegan and only let him walk after 5 years of pushing us forward there'd be a comparison.

Bit of a difference in terms of the backing he received though. Not to mention actually fulfilling the vision KK was sold to get him to take the job.

Agree completely with the first part. The second, though, reminds me of the 'it's not what it said on the brochure' incident - it was, however, resolved after his walkout, I agree.

Shepherd turned us into a laughing stock and Ashley has built quickly on that legacy. End of.

aye sure, he did. Everybody laughed at us when we rose from being a club with one foot in the 3rd division to playing europe and the champions league.

According to people like you, Shepherd was the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock. This ridiculous thinking always makes me laugh. You've spent too long in Manchester, but they are like that down there. Get a backbone and ignore it, laugh back, or tell them to piss off.

Poor show man. Not gonna rake over history but obviously it was SJH at the helm when we went from bottom of the 2nd back into the prem with Keegan. I realise Shepherd was involved with the club but it was Hall leveraging things on the financial side of things. That involved genuine risk and foresight. After that time the club had 'full houses' week in week out as Shepherd says-that and unprecedented TV money. He doesnt have any success to attribute that to though, or tangible success anyway so he's shooting himself in the foot. The Shepherd era had the sort of fan-financing of the club that only one or two clubs could better-but they all won things over that time and continue to do so now.

The Toon is a one club city and during Shepherd's time it has had money hand over fist from the fans (and regularly, in advance of the product it's offering). Shepherd had millions upon millions of other people's money to spend as a chairman and he spent it. Robson spent it well for him (by and large) but I give him no credit for Robson's appointment -his other appointees then spent very badly by and large, and this was worse because we all largely suspected they would.

After the Robson revival (no credit to Shepherd) came to an end and the club needed real direction from the top, we got Souness, Roeder and Allardyce. I'm not even going to waste my time on a critique of that sequence of inspired appointments. According to you though it's ok for a top level club to appoint a sequence of three proven spastics as manager.

As to the rest of what you said about me being Mancunian etc etc I'm gonna largely ignore it because it's nowt more than you having a pop. I can handle that though it's water off a ducks back, if you don't think I've developped coping strategies after being a Newcastle fan living in Manchester for all 31 years of my life then you have a naivety that belies your 60 years. What I will say though is that i've never said Shepherd is the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock-he isn't, but that's hardly a defence of the man. Which is more though, I don't care about any other clubs or any other chairmen-Shepherd made a laughing stock of MY club.

What I will also say (without apology) is that living outside of the Toon in the North West, you do get a practical and daily demonstration of how a club should be run on over a long term. I don't glory in that, it just makes certain things clearer to me. My view is also unpulluted by the fuckwit local press on Tyneside, which during Shepherd's era in particular became nowt more than his PR machine.

At the end of the day you've been made to look daft on God knows how many occasions on this board, with your flawed defence of Shepherd-something which would be the source of embarrasment to anyone else of your 70 years. You have the brassneck to accuse me of having no backbone mate but it's you that routinely flounces off vowing never to return only to re-emerge a few months later hoping your past ignominies have been forgotten. Sad tbh.

Shepherd is clearly bitter that he didn't make a bit more coin out of the sale of the club. He trots that line out every interview. Boo fucking hoo.

:( He'll haver you doon as 80 by the end of this thread. By the way I thought you said you were from Blakelaw Steve, never realised you were an OOT, didn't even know we had them in the olden days.

With regards to FFS, love or hate him, he's a funny fucka, as soon as there's anything bad happens, he's on the phone to SKY, or sitting in on Mike Neville, or on Talksport, you've gotta love him.

Stevie man a load of people used to come from Durham and even Sunderland to watch Newcastle play in the 'olden days' :(

I know but I meant proper OOT's like from places like Leeds, Hertfordshire, Warrington, N7 and Manchester.

:rolleyes:

Just re-read it. Can't see the reference to that "2 people who can save NUFC bit", but I acknowlege it's not in the bit I said it was.

That said, KK's appointment to me was all down to Fletcher - a man who I always thought was the string puller and someone we really missed when he left the club. SJH seemed a bit hesitant probably on the back of the fact he'd just assured the local press that Ossie's job was safe.

page 214 covers when he went home and told his wife what had happened, etc, after the Swindon game, then it moves into

page 215.

"I suppose it looked as though I was bluffing but unless something dramatic happened to change things there was no way I was going back. So it was more of an ultimatum than a bluff. Sir John Hall could not expect Kevin Keegan to manage Newcastle on empty promises when 36000 fans believed in me. He had used me to get those people involved, and now he was reneging on our deal. I told him all this when he rang, as I knew he would. He urged me to calm down, and it was then that he said that the only two people could save the club were talking to each other at that moment, and that I would get the money he had promised. From that day onwards, Sir John knew that as long as he was honest with me and kept his word, ht wouldn't have any problem working with me"

The main point for me is that Hall put the money down while it was still a personal risk. Obviously he ultimately gained financially as history shows, but he wasn't clairvoyant.

Shepherd's tenure was basically characterised by money flooding in in unprecedented amounts and him spending it. That only makes him look like a visionary compared to the current fat cunt who wont spend it, but in absolute terms it's hardly an achievement. As for his last 3 appointments, they speak for themselves. You show me one top club where that would have been allowed to happen.

Shepherd's a fan of the club but he's a fan of Freddy Shepherd first so get it in perspective Leazes. He's still evidently bitter he had to sell to Ashley 'on the cheap'. Tough fucking shit; if you'd been better at your job Freddy you'd have got a better price for it. What fucking planet does he live on?

maybe he is, but what does that change ? The Halls couldn't wait to get rid, but Shepherd wanted to keep the club, yet you say it was in a bad state, why would he want to get rid of the club so much if he believed it was going downwards so fast ?

As I've said, what you're saying is nothing other than your own chip on your shoulder which I don't understand why ? If anybody should have a chip on their shoulder here, its me and people my age who watched utter shite and a 2nd rate club for decades, then when we finally get a board who show ambition, we are now back to square one, and I'm 54, not 70 !!!!!!