Freddy hoys the boot in

Snake

Shepherd turned us into a laughing stock and Ashley has built quickly on that legacy. End of.

aye sure, he did. Everybody laughed at us when we rose from being a club with one foot in the 3rd division to playing europe and the champions league.

According to people like you, Shepherd was the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock. This ridiculous thinking always makes me laugh. You've spent too long in Manchester, but they are like that down there. Get a backbone and ignore it, laugh back, or tell them to piss off.

Poor show man. Not gonna rake over history but obviously it was SJH at the helm when we went from bottom of the 2nd back into the prem with Keegan. I realise Shepherd was involved with the club but it was Hall leveraging things on the financial side of things. That involved genuine risk and foresight. After that time the club had 'full houses' week in week out as Shepherd says-that and unprecedented TV money. He doesnt have any success to attribute that to though, or tangible success anyway so he's shooting himself in the foot. The Shepherd era had the sort of fan-financing of the club that only one or two clubs could better-but they all won things over that time and continue to do so now.

The Toon is a one club city and during Shepherd's time it has had money hand over fist from the fans (and regularly, in advance of the product it's offering). Shepherd had millions upon millions of other people's money to spend as a chairman and he spent it. Robson spent it well for him (by and large) but I give him no credit for Robson's appointment -his other appointees then spent very badly by and large, and this was worse because we all largely suspected they would.

After the Robson revival (no credit to Shepherd) came to an end and the club needed real direction from the top, we got Souness, Roeder and Allardyce. I'm not even going to waste my time on a critique of that sequence of inspired appointments. According to you though it's ok for a top level club to appoint a sequence of three proven spastics as manager.

As to the rest of what you said about me being Mancunian etc etc I'm gonna largely ignore it because it's nowt more than you having a pop. I can handle that though it's water off a ducks back, if you don't think I've developped coping strategies after being a Newcastle fan living in Manchester for all 31 years of my life then you have a naivety that belies your 60 years. What I will say though is that i've never said Shepherd is the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock-he isn't, but that's hardly a defence of the man. Which is more though, I don't care about any other clubs or any other chairmen-Shepherd made a laughing stock of MY club.

What I will also say (without apology) is that living outside of the Toon in the North West, you do get a practical and daily demonstration of how a club should be run on over a long term. I don't glory in that, it just makes certain things clearer to me. My view is also unpulluted by the fuckwit local press on Tyneside, which during Shepherd's era in particular became nowt more than his PR machine.

At the end of the day you've been made to look daft on God knows how many occasions on this board, with your flawed defence of Shepherd-something which would be the source of embarrasment to anyone else of your 70 years. You have the brassneck to accuse me of having no backbone mate but it's you that routinely flounces off vowing never to return only to re-emerge a few months later hoping your past ignominies have been forgotten. Sad tbh.

Shepherd is clearly bitter that he didn't make a bit more coin out of the sale of the club. He trots that line out every interview. Boo fucking hoo.

:( He'll haver you doon as 80 by the end of this thread. By the way I thought you said you were from Blakelaw Steve, never realised you were an OOT, didn't even know we had them in the olden days.

With regards to FFS, love or hate him, he's a funny fucka, as soon as there's anything bad happens, he's on the phone to SKY, or sitting in on Mike Neville, or on Talksport, you've gotta love him.

Never from Blakelaw, Stevie. Kenton, Denton Burn, Newbiggin Hall, West Denton and then back to Denton Burn until I was 24. Lived all over the place since then but still went to home games and kept my season ticket most of the time apart from a couple of years when I was out of the country a bit - and lots of away games. My mother still lives in Westerhope and I stay overnight to go out with my mates since we were all 17 and working at Longbenton, as often as possible, sit with one of them at the game, and see the others afterwards before heading home

TBH, I was surprised when you said you were working and living away too, I suppose a lot of us do.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepherd turned us into a laughing stock and Ashley has built quickly on that legacy. End of.

aye sure, he did. Everybody laughed at us when we rose from being a club with one foot in the 3rd division to playing europe and the champions league.

According to people like you, Shepherd was the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock. This ridiculous thinking always makes me laugh. You've spent too long in Manchester, but they are like that down there. Get a backbone and ignore it, laugh back, or tell them to piss off.

Poor show man. Not gonna rake over history but obviously it was SJH at the helm when we went from bottom of the 2nd back into the prem with Keegan. I realise Shepherd was involved with the club but it was Hall leveraging things on the financial side of things. That involved genuine risk and foresight. After that time the club had 'full houses' week in week out as Shepherd says-that and unprecedented TV money. He doesnt have any success to attribute that to though, or tangible success anyway so he's shooting himself in the foot. The Shepherd era had the sort of fan-financing of the club that only one or two clubs could better-but they all won things over that time and continue to do so now.

The Toon is a one club city and during Shepherd's time it has had money hand over fist from the fans (and regularly, in advance of the product it's offering). Shepherd had millions upon millions of other people's money to spend as a chairman and he spent it. Robson spent it well for him (by and large) but I give him no credit for Robson's appointment -his other appointees then spent very badly by and large, and this was worse because we all largely suspected they would.

After the Robson revival (no credit to Shepherd) came to an end and the club needed real direction from the top, we got Souness, Roeder and Allardyce. I'm not even going to waste my time on a critique of that sequence of inspired appointments. According to you though it's ok for a top level club to appoint a sequence of three proven spastics as manager.

As to the rest of what you said about me being Mancunian etc etc I'm gonna largely ignore it because it's nowt more than you having a pop. I can handle that though it's water off a ducks back, if you don't think I've developped coping strategies after being a Newcastle fan living in Manchester for all 31 years of my life then you have a naivety that belies your 60 years. What I will say though is that i've never said Shepherd is the only chairman who ever made someone a laughing stock-he isn't, but that's hardly a defence of the man. Which is more though, I don't care about any other clubs or any other chairmen-Shepherd made a laughing stock of MY club.

What I will also say (without apology) is that living outside of the Toon in the North West, you do get a practical and daily demonstration of how a club should be run on over a long term. I don't glory in that, it just makes certain things clearer to me. My view is also unpulluted by the fuckwit local press on Tyneside, which during Shepherd's era in particular became nowt more than his PR machine.

At the end of the day you've been made to look daft on God knows how many occasions on this board, with your flawed defence of Shepherd-something which would be the source of embarrasment to anyone else of your 70 years. You have the brassneck to accuse me of having no backbone mate but it's you that routinely flounces off vowing never to return only to re-emerge a few months later hoping your past ignominies have been forgotten. Sad tbh.

Shepherd is clearly bitter that he didn't make a bit more coin out of the sale of the club. He trots that line out every interview. Boo fucking hoo.

:( He'll haver you doon as 80 by the end of this thread. By the way I thought you said you were from Blakelaw Steve, never realised you were an OOT, didn't even know we had them in the olden days.

With regards to FFS, love or hate him, he's a funny fucka, as soon as there's anything bad happens, he's on the phone to SKY, or sitting in on Mike Neville, or on Talksport, you've gotta love him.

Never from Blakelaw, Stevie. Kenton, Denton Burn, Newbiggin Hall, West Denton and then back to Denton Burn until I was 24. Lived all over the place since then but still went to home games and kept my season ticket most of the time apart from a couple of years when I was out of the country a bit - and lots of away games. My mother still lives in Westerhope and I stay overnight to go out with my mates since we were all 17 and working at Longbenton, as often as possible, sit with one of them at the game, and see the others afterwards before heading home

TBH, I was surprised when you said you were working and living away too, I suppose a lot of us do.

I only work away what will work out in total as about 6-weeks a year which I can cope with. Where do you live like Steve?

"I suppose it looked as though I was bluffing but unless something dramatic happened to change things there was no way I was going back. So it was more of an ultimatum than a bluff. Sir John Hall could not expect Kevin Keegan to manage Newcastle on empty promises when 36000 fans believed in me. He had used me to get those people involved, and now he was reneging on our deal. I told him all this when he rang, as I knew he would. He urged me to calm down, and it was then that he said that the only two people could save the club were talking to each other at that moment, and that I would get the money he had promised. From that day onwards, Sir John knew that as long as he was honest with me and kept his word, ht wouldn't have any problem working with me"

:(

The main point for me is that Hall put the money down while it was still a personal risk. Obviously he ultimately gained financially as history shows, but he wasn't clairvoyant.

Shepherd's tenure was basically characterised by money flooding in in unprecedented amounts and him spending it. That only makes him look like a visionary compared to the current fat cunt who wont spend it, but in absolute terms it's hardly an achievement. As for his last 3 appointments, they speak for themselves. You show me one top club where that would have been allowed to happen.

Shepherd's a fan of the club but he's a fan of Freddy Shepherd first so get it in perspective Leazes. He's still evidently bitter he had to sell to Ashley 'on the cheap'. Tough fucking shit; if you'd been better at your job Freddy you'd have got a better price for it. What fucking planet does he live on?

maybe he is, but what does that change ? The Halls couldn't wait to get rid, but Shepherd wanted to keep the club, yet you say it was in a bad state, why would he want to get rid of the club so much if he believed it was going downwards so fast ?

As I've said, what you're saying is nothing other than your own chip on your shoulder which I don't understand why ? If anybody should have a chip on their shoulder here, its me and people my age who watched utter shite and a 2nd rate club for decades, then when we finally get a board who show ambition, we are now back to square one, and I'm 54, not 70 !!!!!!

I know fine well how old you are. I was taking the piss.

On what basis do you think I've got a chip on my shoulder btw? I think Shepherd was a cock-end but it's not down to some deep rooted greivance; it's just obvious he squandered opportunity and I'm perfectly entitled to that opinion.

I only work away what will work out in total as about 6-weeks a year which I can cope with. Where do you live like Steve?

Get a room man.

For asking him where he lives? Get a room man oh dear. Comparing how I speak to Steve, to how you speak to The Fish or some of the other "Trent posse", you'll need a surgical removal of your cock from some of their arses.

Get a room man.

For asking him where he lives? Get a room man oh dear. Comparing how I speak to Steve, to how you speak to The Fish or some of the other "Trent posse", you'll need a surgical removal of your cock from some of their arses.

"Trent Posse" :(

Get a room man.

You in a cracking mood by any chance Sammy? :(

Get a room man.

"Trent Posse" :(

Fo' shizzle.

Get a room man.

Here we go, I say one thing and he goes off on one like a girl.

Get a room man.

I'm not, you wouldn't have said anything if I said look NE5 you're old and you're talking shite as usual, would you? It would've been "good point that "pal"".

Get a room man.

I'm not, you wouldn't have said anything if I said look NE5 you're old and you're talking shite as usual, would you? It would've been "good point that "pal"".

Don't cry pet.

Get a room man.

Don't cry pet.

Noww worrehs arr kid.

The main point for me is that Hall put the money down while it was still a personal risk. Obviously he ultimately gained financially as history shows, but he wasn't clairvoyant.

Shepherd's tenure was basically characterised by money flooding in in unprecedented amounts and him spending it. That only makes him look like a visionary compared to the current fat cunt who wont spend it, but in absolute terms it's hardly an achievement. As for his last 3 appointments, they speak for themselves. You show me one top club where that would have been allowed to happen.

Shepherd's a fan of the club but he's a fan of Freddy Shepherd first so get it in perspective Leazes. He's still evidently bitter he had to sell to Ashley 'on the cheap'. Tough fucking shit; if you'd been better at your job Freddy you'd have got a better price for it. What fucking planet does he live on?

maybe he is, but what does that change ? The Halls couldn't wait to get rid, but Shepherd wanted to keep the club, yet you say it was in a bad state, why would he want to get rid of the club so much if he believed it was going downwards so fast ?

As I've said, what you're saying is nothing other than your own chip on your shoulder which I don't understand why ? If anybody should have a chip on their shoulder here, its me and people my age who watched utter shite and a 2nd rate club for decades, then when we finally get a board who show ambition, we are now back to square one, and I'm 54, not 70 !!!!!!

On what basis do you think I've got a chip on my shoulder btw? I think Shepherd was a cock-end but it's not down to some deep rooted greivance; it's just obvious he squandered opportunity and I'm perfectly entitled to that opinion.

Basically, I don't accept that Shepherd ran the club single handed and deserves all the flak he gets for that supposition, which you have just done and also sounding bitter about it, nor do I believe that the club would not have recovered from the fuck ups made by Souness, because I think with the right manager they would have came back again.

I don't think this now though, under Ashley and his lack of ambition.

Edited by LeazesMag

yarkshire.............stacks of Leeds, manu and liverpool fans scattered among the locals ........

:rolleyes:

I have the book at work - I'll have a look at it tomorrow and find the piece i'm referring to. It is most definitely NOT with regards to when he walked out after a month.

wanna bet :rolleyes:

:suicide:

Just re-read it. Can't see the reference to that "2 people who can save NUFC bit", but I acknowlege it's not in the bit I said it was.

That said, KK's appointment to me was all down to Fletcher - a man who I always thought was the string puller and someone we really missed when he left the club. SJH seemed a bit hesitant probably on the back of the fact he'd just assured the local press that Ossie's job was safe.

page 214 covers when he went home and told his wife what had happened, etc, after the Swindon game, then it moves into

page 215.

No shit! :icon_lol::(

Basically, I don't accept that Shepherd ran the club single handed and deserves all the flak he gets for that supposition, which you have just done and also sounding bitter about it, nor do I believe that the club would not have recovered from the fuck ups made by Souness, because I think with the right manager they would have came back again.

It was Shepherd's job to get it right though tbf. I personally thought Roeder deserved a chance but then, I'm not paid half a million quid a year (and the rest) to get these things right.

Get a room man.

Don't cry pet.

Noww worrehs arr kid.

:(

It was Shepherd's job to get it right though tbf. I personally thought Roeder deserved a chance but then, I'm not paid half a million quid a year (and the rest) to get these things right.

thats like saying they were all paid 50 grand to score a penalty against Partizan Belgrade.