Interesting look at Souness track record

LeazesMag

http://www.thisisanfield.com/clubinfo.php?id=00000048

see the piece

"Dicks joined his teammates as we lost on his debut to everton. Mark wards goal sparking a bust up with Bruce grobelaar and steve mcmanaman. The latter wasn’t the same for the remainder of the season. Souness praised both saying he wanted players to “fight for Liverpool” but surely this couldn’t be condoned. "

gets the dressing room spirit going does our graeme doesn't he !

Edited by LeazesMag

see the piece

"Dicks joined his teammates as we lost on his debut to everton. Mark wards goal sparking a bust up with Bruce grobelaar and steve mcmanaman. The latter wasn’t the same for the remainder of the season. Souness praised both saying he wanted players to “fight for Liverpool” but surely this couldn’t be condoned. "

48201[/snapback]

Youre obsessed. Souness was never the answer on the field. However, he could spot an arsehole a mile away. He did and he got shot of them. Job done. Move on to proper manager now.

If people arent bright enough to recognise the problems caused by Bellamy/Robert et al then that is their problem. Get an education.

In the meantime...concentrate on real evil...racism.

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

Youre obsessed. Souness was never the answer on the field. However, he could spot an arsehole a mile away. He did and he got shot of them. Job done. Move on to proper manager now.

If people arent bright enough to recognise the problems caused by Bellamy/Robert et al then that is their problem. Get an education.

48203[/snapback]

:(

hes right though, you are obsessed! :nufc:

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

:(

hes right though, you are obsessed! :nufc:

48205[/snapback]

Some people need reminding that intolerance isnt ephemeral

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

you're right, finishing in the top 3 and 4 etc isan obsession, I tend to think players who get us to those positions are good players for the club. I'm obsessed with having more like them at the club. Totally obsessed in fact. I dream about them, all the time, I want more.

And see the bold bit, you are obsessed as well it would seem.

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

you're right, finishing in the top 3 and 4 etc isan obsession, I tend to think players who get us to those positions are good players for the club. I'm obsessed with having more like them at the club. Totally obsessed in fact. I dream about them, all the time, I want more.

48211[/snapback]

NUFC looks at 'Kick Racism Out of Football' I will always be obsessed by the ignorance of intolerance in our ranks regartding that issue.

I dream of more Michael Owen/Scott Parker/Emre types. Good professionals with talent.

Not arseholes who think we should feel blessed they are ours. They never were good enough for that.

As for top 4? Of course a good manager might get us back there. The current one wont but he has done his job.

2004 was an interesting year though. Speed, shearer and Woddgate basically left in various ways. Takes some replacing doesnt it? They are the players we miss. The other two are good but much more easily replaced than the type we really lost. Interesting that you never heard those 3 'proper' players whining like bitches.

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

48211[/snapback]

NUFC looks at 'Kick Racism Out of Football' I will always be obsessed by the ignorance of intolerance in our ranks regartding that issue.

I dream of more Michael Owen/Scott Parker/Emre types. Good professionals with talent.

Not arseholes who think we should feel blessed they are ours. They never were good enough for that.

As for top 4? Of course a good manager might get us back there. The current one wont but he has done his job.

2004 was an interesting year though. Speed, shearer and Woddgate basically left in various ways. Takes some replacing doesnt it? They are the players we miss. The other two are good but much more easily replaced than the type we really lost. Interesting that you never heard those 3 'proper' players whining like bitches.

48217[/snapback]

I totally agree with you about Speed and Woodgate. I just think you have to bend to accomodate personalities sometimes, that is the managers job. Would you say that Alex Ferguson hasn't "managed" Roy Keane for years, he also has, and had, spikey players over the years, none more so than Cantona ? Do you think Souness would have sold or managed Cantona ?

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

48211[/snapback]

48217[/snapback]

I totally agree with you about Speed and Woodgate. I just think you have to bend to accomodate personalities sometimes, that is the managers job. Would you say that Alex Ferguson hasn't "managed" Roy Keane for years, he also has, and had, spikey players over the years, none more so than Cantona ? Do you think Souness would have sold or managed Cantona ?

48223[/snapback]

Mute point isnt it. Rightly or wrongly Souness has bought some very dodgy characters and kept them. Keanes character is very different to Bellamys. Cantona is erudite. He is also a very different player.

On character levels (but certainly not ability levels) you can draw similarities between Keane and Dicks. I cant think of many in world football who are like Cantona but I accept that bending to accomodate is fine until the bending has got to contortionist levels. NUFC in that summer had.

If Bellamy had an ounce of sense he would still be here. He didnt get the fact that he wasnt more important than NUFC. Shame as I was one of few who thought he was a good buy when he first got him. Robert was my favourite player. But they had gone too far. Others should have followed in truth.

Mute point isnt it. Rightly or wrongly Souness has bought some very dodgy characters and kept them. Keanes character is very different to Bellamys. Cantona is erudite. He is also a very different player.

On character levels (but certainly not ability levels) you can draw similarities between Keane and Dicks. I cant think of many in world football who are like Cantona but I accept that bending to accomodate is fine until the bending has got to contortionist levels. NUFC in that summer had.

If Bellamy had an ounce of sense he would still be here. He didnt get the fact that he wasnt more important than NUFC. Shame as I was one of few who thought he was a good buy when he first got him. Robert was my favourite player. But they had gone too far. Others should have followed in truth.

48225[/snapback]

I was over the moon when we bought Bellamy, my mate [the one in the other thread] thought I was mad, then he scored against the mackems and just took off from there.

I know Bellamy should still be here, thats the tragic thing about it, and I bet he does himself too

see the piece

48201[/snapback]

48203[/snapback]

I miss the problems we had finishing 4th, 3rd & 5th.

I love the way LM mentions Ferguson "managing" Keane & Cantona, but seems to forget Stam.

48237[/snapback]

but

They kept on winning, and

he bought Rio Ferdinand, eventually.

Seriously though, I know he is still playing in Italy etc, but wasn't the school of thought at the time that his motivation to play for manu had dipped ? You can't say that about Bellamy, he was the clubs top scorer and playing better than ever under Robson.

I love the way LM mentions Ferguson "managing" Keane & Cantona, but seems to forget Stam.

48237[/snapback]

but

Seriously though, I know he is still playing in Italy etc, but wasn't the school of thought at the time that his motivation to play for manu had dipped ? You can't say that about Bellamy, he was the clubs top scorer and playing better than ever under Robson.

48240[/snapback]

The top scorer thing isnt the best arguement though is it? He isnt and never has been a good goalscorer. His strengths are his pace and his running off the ball. His control is actually pretty poor.

He looked good (better than he had for a while) but his demeanour and his attitude after that Norwich game - when his manager and the club needed unity - did it for me. the last straw.

The Rio analogy is fair. There are always other players available.

DO you know what I mean by that Norwich situation? The look on people faces in the pub after the game was one of incredulity. Then he said that and it said all we need to know about NUFC and the attitude of the players at the time.

48237[/snapback]

but

48240[/snapback]

The top scorer thing isnt the best arguement though is it? He isnt and never has been a good goalscorer. His strengths are his pace and his running off the ball. His control is actually pretty poor.

He looked good (better than he had for a while) but his demeanour and his attitude after that Norwich game - when his manager and the club needed unity - did it for me. the last straw.

DO you know what I mean by that Norwich situation? The look on people faces in the pub after the game was one of incredulity. Then he said that and it said all we need to know about NUFC and the attitude of the players at the time.

48248[/snapback]

There was absolutely nothing wrong with his attitude after the Norwich game. Any professional worth his salt wants to play. The trouble with Newcastle is that, on too many occasions in the last few years, and especially in the last year, there has been too many who have been on the pitch and not wanted to play. So how can you criticise someone who wanted to play and win ?

The last straw for me with Souness, almost before he got his foot in the door, was when he took Bellamy off at Charlton, the best player on the field, and ruined any chance of winning the game. This decision lacked all credibility in a football sense, and as such was nothing other than him firing the first shot of a man hell bent on a confrontation, which we ALL knew he would do with the players when he got the job.

Edited by LeazesMag

48237[/snapback]

but

48240[/snapback]

48248[/snapback]

There was absolutely nothing wrong with his attitude after the Norwich game. Any professional worth his salt wants to play. The trouble with Newcastle is that, on too many occasions in the last few years, and especially in the last year, there has been too many who have been on the pitch and not wanted to play. So how can you criticise someone who wanted to play and win ?

The last straw for me with Souness, almost before he got his foot in the door, was when he took Bellamy off at Charlton, the best player on the field, and ruined any chance of winning the game. This decision lacked all credibility in a football sense, and as such was nothing other than him firing the first shot of a man hell bent on a confrontation, which we ALL knew he would do with the players when he got the job.

48260[/snapback]

That incident tells you everything you need to know about Souness.

48237[/snapback]

but

48240[/snapback]

48248[/snapback]

48260[/snapback]

Norwich? Nothing wrong?

You werent at the pub afterwards then.

Or reading the papers.

There was hell on about his attitude.

Burnt his bridges for me and many many others that day.

There is more to football than simply crossing the line.

'Craig Bellamy does what is best for Craig Bellamy'

He didnt have the spine to fight for his place in a side that Bobby managed. The bloke who rescued him? In his time of need?

Toldf me all I needed to know about the lad.

Selfish. Didnt give a toss about the club. Rightly gone and replaced by someone better

The manager needs to go but he got quite a few things right.

the biggest problem last season was the quality pros were gone. I mean that in football and non-footballing terms. Woodgate, Speed and Shearer werent there. that meant more to me than the loss of a bloke who didnt want to be here unless he got his own way.

no, nothing wrong.

To repeat, give me a footballer who wants to play, and shows it every game, than one who isn't bothered if he does or not, or plays like he doesn't want to play.

Of course he looks after himself, don't you ? What did you expect him to say, he'll be happy to sit on the bench ?

Daft that man

no, nothing wrong.

To repeat, give me a footballer who wants to play, and shows it every game, than one who isn't bothered if he does or not, or plays like he doesn't want to play.

Of course he looks after himself, don't you ? What did you expect him to say, he'll be happy to sit on the bench ?

Daft that man

48285[/snapback]

I expected him not to say anything at all that week.

NUFC didnt need it.

I mean OUR club. No his.

His MANAGER didnt need it.

I expected him to do what was best for the TEAM and the CLUB.

NOT himself. He chose himself. Not for the last time either.

NB: there are footballers who are talented and hardworking and professional. We (NUFC and its fans) DO NOT need to settle for those who are second best in every way. e.g. Craig Bellamy

Or do we? He isnt and never was THAT good. Shearer was. Beardsley was. Owen is. Bellamy never was and never has been. He wasnt worth it in the end. He had his chances and blew them.

The night after the Norwich game, an awful lot of people realised that.

Please dont try and compare top players like Cantona who may have been edgy with Bellamy. One was a top class footballer. One is good.

I'm sick of this Bellamy argument tbh.

48305[/snapback]

dont read it tbh

48312[/snapback]

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to look at certain topics.

I'm sick of this Bellamy argument tbh.

48305[/snapback]

dont read it tbh

48312[/snapback]

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to look at certain topics.

48318[/snapback]

Of course you can but its just a suggestion. If you dont like it. Dont read it.

I assume you do approve of people passing on suggestions?