Other games

Park Life

All this 'Championship fan base etc', who are the 20 teams that would 'ideally' make up the Premier League Stevie? I'm thinking Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Coventry, Derby, Everton, Huddersfield, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Notts Forest, Man City, Man U, Middlesbrough, Sheff. Wed, Sheff Utd.,Southampton, Spurs, Sunderland, West Ham, but even so Blackburn are around a similar fanbase to the smaller teams here. Bit harsh calling it punching above their weight.

All of the teams in the Barclays Premier League are there on merit. Wigan deserve their place, they've been fantastic in the last 6 weeks. However, when you compare their fanbase with others, and the interest other clubs generate, it's not completely unreasonable to say they're punching above their weight, but good luck to them, and Blackburn did and have for years. At the end of the day, how well you manage a club dictates what sort of side you can put out, but in terms of tradition and fan base I'd say the following are the teams who will believe they're being mismanaged if they're not in the Premiership, there's no right and wrong it's just my opinion.

Man Utd

Arsenal

Liverpool

Newcastle

Chelsea

Tottenham

Everton

Man City

Sunderland

Leeds

Aston Villa

West Ham

Sheff Wed

Wolves

WBA

Nottingham Forest

Derby

Leicester

Sheff Utd

Ipswich

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye good list tbf.

The key point is about how well a club is run and sides being in the Prem on merit. But what Blackburn fans need to acknowledge (for their own good) is that even if they were run to their absolute maximum efficiency on their own natural resources they'd still be a bottom half club. Survival itself is an achievement. When they lose track of that (because someone bought them the league a few years back) and lose sight of the fact they need to be an unpleasant little place for away teams to visit in Lancashire, they lose their best natural chance of stopping up. They've turned Ewood Park into somewhere their own team doesnt want to play this season, while away teams have been queuing up for their fixture there.

Aye good list tbf.

The key point is about how well a club is run and sides being in the Prem on merit. But what Blackburn fans need to acknowledge (for their own good) is that even if they were run to their absolute maximum efficiency on their own natural resources they'd still be a bottom half club. Survival itself is an achievement. When they lose track of that (because someone bought them the league a few years back) and lose sight of the fact they need to be an unpleasant little place for away teams to visit in Lancashire, they lose their best natural chance of stopping up. They've turned Ewood Park into somewhere their own team doesnt want to play this season, while away teams have been queuing up for their fixture there.

Aye good list tbf.

I was going to write that regarding maximum efficiency, but it's too difficult for many to take in without saying you're generalising. It's fucking spot on!

The list I did, off the top of my head, I didn't want to put Boro in, but as hard as it is to believe checking a few records Boro have spent more time in the top flight than all bar 15 clubs, and throughout history, they've spent more time in the top division than outside, and are also the 16th best supported club in English football history. I can't bring myself to put Boro in, though they're as grotty as Blackburn or Stoke in my eyes.

Blackburn do have a decent history in a 19th century Mackem style so I think that counts for something although I agree with the merit view.

Thing is the towns around there are quite isolated and insular and a lot of them had their own teams ( or maybe an RL team which fulfills the same purpose) which might explain the small fanbase - the proportion of immigrants post war hasn't helped their football cause either.

At the moment I think there are enough teams coimg up/going down to satisfy both views that teams like Leeds and Sheff Wed can get "back where they belong" but at the same time Reading, Wigan and Swansea etc can get there on merit and enjoy it.

Fair list tbf, similar to mine. The problem with all this "mismanagement if they're not in such and such league" thing comes across much more in the lower leagues tbf. Especially the conference, the ex league teams seem to have big chips on their shoulders, Luton average 6.5k in the Blue Square but Fleetwood win the league on just less than 2k. Despite this the Luton, Stockports etc all think it's their divine right to be in the league. Like you say though everyone deserves to be in whichever league they're in which is why the system is so perfect. Getting rid of shite fanbases like Crawley, Burton, Barnet, Wigan etc from their leagues. It's also possible for Blackburn to be in the same league as Stevenage next year :lol:.

whats that song about suarez theyre singing?

suarez wherever you may be, you hate blacks in your own country...something something else etc

Aye good list tbf.

Well to be fair they've finished quite high in the pre Venky's seasons. Top ten more often than not in recent times (including finishing 7th or higher 3 times in the last decade and 10th the seaosn before Venkys took over). They also won the league cup under Souness. That was all post Jack Walker and they spent less than virtually everyone else.

On the plus side, we're gonna finish at worst 5th! On the down side, Everton might need a result to finish above Liverpool for the first time in donkey's years on Sunday...

Nah you've got to assume Everton will be throwing the kitchen sink at it this weekend come what may.

Nice end to the season this. Liverpool winning when the outcome is meaningless, Chelsea losing when the outcome is significant.