Park Life

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U18 beat Chelsea 5-3

Vuckic scored 2

United Kids' Five-Goal Special

A GOAL behind at half-time, Newcastle United under-18s turned the tables on Chelsea at Benton with five goals in 27 second-half minutes.

Slovenian Haris Vuckic netted two sumptuously skilful goals and made two more while Sammy Ameobi added a brace of his own and Shane Ferguson notched the other.

Two late Chelsea strikes halved the four-goal advantage but nothing could detract from a hugely encouraging second-half performance by United's young guns in their final pre-season warm-up match.

With the wind at their backs in the first half, the Londoners led through a 27th-minute strike from Kadi Djalo, who burst through the middle to plant a 16-yard shot into the left corner.

Chelsea made several interval substitutions, including Anton Rodgers, son of Reading manager Brendan, while United brought on left-back Paul Dummett for Greg McDermott and pushed Irish international Shane Ferguson up into midfield in a fluid 4-4-2 formation instead of the earlier 4-3-3.

And the fun started in the 48th minute when 16-year-old Vuckic pursued a ball through the middle and with immense perception flicked the ball gently wide of the advancing goalkeeper with his left foot and was wheeling away in celebration long before the ball rolled into the left corner.

Thirteen minutes later Vuckic played in midfield partner Brad Inman and the Aussie nudged the ball beyond the onrushing Walker for Ameobi to apply the finishing touch.

Vuckic was back again four minutes later, latching onto an Ameobi flick and tempting Walker into a challenge before slipping the ball into the path of Shane Ferguson, who couldn't miss.

Three minutes more and the irrepressible Vuckic seized on a defensive error to leave Danny Mills floundering on the edge of the box before guiding another superbly subtle left-foot shot inches around the diving Walker and inside the left upright.

Chelsea were by now being thoroughly outplayed and on 73 minutes it was 5-1, Ameobi lashing in the rebound after Walker had tipped an Inman shot onto the bar.

Chelsea, though, had the last word with consolation goals after 75 and 81 minutes.

Substitute Phillip Prosenik turned sharply to score at the near post before Billy Knott blocked Paul Dummett's clearance and watched in delight as the ball fizzed luckily into the United net.

NEWCASTLE UNITED U-18s: Triallist, Airey, Ferguson, Taylor, Grieve, McLaughlin, Adjei (sub McCrudden 80), McDermott (sub Dummett 45), Ameobi (sub Spear 80), Vuckic (sub Ions 80), Inman. Unused subs: Page, Johnson.

CHELSEA U-19S: Walker, R Clifford (sub Saville 45), Strictland (sub Knott 45), Mills, Sapayo (sub Conteh 45), McCachran, Lalkovic (sub Hayden 45), C Clifford (sub Rodgers 45), Mitrovic, Djalo (sub Prosenik 45), Devyne.

As omens go...

:blink:

Neil Warnock furious as 'phantom goal' costs Crystal Palace

Neil Warnock reacted with fury after officials in charge of Crystal Palace's match at Bristol City failed to notice Palace open the scoring after 34 minutes.

In a farcical situation which recalled last season's "phantom goal" in Reading's game with Watford, Palace striker Freddie Sears fired into the bottom corner, with the ball bouncing straight back out of the net after hitting a stanchion. As Sears raced away to celebrate, referee Rob Shoebridge consulted his assistant, then awarded a goal kick.

This season the new Europa League's group stages will feature a Uefa trial of additional referee's assistants on each goalline, an idea aimed at preventing such errors. But Warnock, who had to be restrained from remonstrating with the fourth official and on the final whistle refused to shake hands with opposite number Gary Johnson, called instead for goalline technology.

"We can put a man on the moon, time serves of 100 miles per hour at Wimbledon, yet we cannot place a couple of sensors in a net to show when a goal has been scored.

"I feel sorry for the referee because he didn't get any help. But how can I mark him after the game when he spoils a match with a mistake of that importance?

"I thought Gary Johnson and his players could have shown more sportsmanship because they knew it was a goal, like everyone else. But I'm 60 years old and maybe I expect too much.

"I have a transfer embargo on me and a group of young players working their socks off for the club. They didn't deserve that today. We were cheated. And I'm not saying that against the referee because he didn't mean to get it wrong."

Warnock's mood was not improved when Nicky Maynard struck City's 89th-minute winner from just outside the area after defender Jose Fonte had given the ball away.

Home manager Johnson was left to count his blessings: "In Neil's position, I would feel the same as he does. Sometimes as the away manager a big decision goes against you, the crowd get on your back and it's very hard to keep things under control.

"It was a goal, of course, but I don't see what I could have done about it at the time. I had my own team to think about because we weren't playing well in the first half. Neil didn't want to shake my hand and that's up to him. I can't say I was surprised after what had happened, but it's one of those things."

Edited by Barney

As usual Warnock and Jordan deserve to have stuff like this happen, i saw their comments on SSN who then gave the Bristol City chief exec a right to reply on the subject. He just sounded like some posh old bloke but he owned the pair of them whilst still remaining dignified and intelligent in what he said.

Shocking stuff from that ref like but I admit I was hoping to see Warnock's face go red and steam start coming out his ears.

His 'cheating' allegations are a bit off as well considering you can see some Bristol City players signalling it was a goal to the ref in that clip, after the Palace players try to talk to the linesman.

Hopefully one day we can buy back Bassong from Spuds, who knows, if we get promoted this season, we'll be looking like a fine business opportunity for a rich Malaysian mogul, so we'll get bought and have millions and millions invested in us, and we'll buy back Bassong and be linked with Kaka!

I can dream.

anyone noticed the amount of mentions to Newcastle in the man utd Birmingham commentary ?

Not a big club apparently though. :blink:

Spurs were very impressive; top 6 if they keep that kind of form up (so probably 11th-12th).

I was delighted to see Owen miss a sitter with virtually the last kick of the match btw. Mainly to avoid the inevitable patter about his Newcastle nightmare being finally put to bed etc. in the papers.

Good wins for Sheffield Utd and Boro this week.

I reckon those two will be up the top come the end of the season. I didn't see any goals, but Tuncay looks a very good player and I think he's a class above this division. SheffUtd know this division so well and have the right mix of youth and experience to get them out.

After seeing the state of Reading, I reckon they'll be mid-table at best.

I was delighted to see Owen miss a sitter with virtually the last kick of the match btw. Mainly to avoid the inevitable patter about his Newcastle nightmare being finally put to bed etc. in the papers.

Must admit watching that on MOTD2 it did put a smile on my face like. He missed loads of chances like that for us, in a 1 vs 1 he's so predictable he just always trys to side foot it to the keepers left.