Other games

Park Life

Disagree on Ameobi. The guy's built like a brick shithouse and defenders fear him. When he's warming up on the touchline it affects the mentality of the players because they know he'll be coming on and he doesn't muck about. He knows where the goal is.

:jesuswept:

:icon_lol:

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree on Ameobi. The guy's built like a brick shithouse and defenders fear him. When he's warming up on the touchline it affects the mentality of the players because they know he'll be coming on and he doesn't muck about. He knows where the goal is.

:icon_lol:

So do I. Doesn't make me a PL quality striker either.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Ranger's hold up play is good but he seems to struggle a bit with confidence in front of goal when he's in the first team (see Nil Ranger last season). I think he'd do better starting up front if we have injuries or in the CC and building his confidence that way. Don't forget Shola has played in the top echelons of the game (europe etc), he has the experience of four or five Nile Rangers and that doesn't count for nothing. Also Lovenkrands is probably a better option from the bench, tidy finisher.

1272286244211.gif

@ Alex - Look at his record. When he gets fit (I realise that's a struggle with his hips) he is a 1 in 1 striker in the championship. A supreme goalscorer at that level. He is basically Van Basten at championship level but with shit general play, just the finishing ability.

Nile Ranger will probably develop into at least as good a player as Shola if not better, but based on last season's performances (Ranger was playing shit hot in the reserves then too for a while) he was struggling with scoring goals in the first team. His general play was impressive for a youngster, but Ameobi's finishing in the championship was without equal. If you look at his OPTA stats his % rate of shots to goals was probably over 65% for that season, certainly in the top percentile for any player at that level.

Perhaps I am over egging his ability a bit (his general play is shite), but I am pretty certain Shola will be a better goalscorer than Ranger at PL level at this moment.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Ranger's hold up play is good but he seems to struggle a bit with confidence in front of goal when he's in the first team (see Nil Ranger last season). I think he'd do better starting up front if we have injuries or in the CC and building his confidence that way. Don't forget Shola has played in the top echelons of the game (europe etc), he has the experience of four or five Nile Rangers and that doesn't count for nothing. Also Lovenkrands is probably a better option from the bench, tidy finisher.

1272286244211.gif

Honest question. We're 1-1 away at Wigan 70th minute. Carroll's knackered/injured. Ameobi and Ranger have been warming up. Who do you bring on? I can honestly say I think Ameobi is a better goalscorer at this level than Ranger, I go with Ameobi every time. Yes his general play is shit and he jogs about like a lazy bastard but this is how it went last season:

Ameobi: Shot, Goal. Shot, Goal. Shot, hit the post. Scores from rebound. Scored with left foot/right foot/head etc.

Ranger: Receives pass. Holds ball up. Pass to team mate. repeat five times. Shot, miss. Missed a few sitters (granted his first few games) Shot, goal, 4-0 up. Ameobi scored other 3 goals with 3 shots.

Ameobi nearly score with his first touch coming on against Wolves. Ranger doesn't have the physical presence or experience at this level yet to match Shola as a goalscorer.

I think that's fair comment. The difference is that with Ranger you would be injecting pace and movement whereas Shola is immobile. He does have a better eye for goal (at present, on the evidence so far) too. My main problem with Shola is that opting for him could be holding back Ranger's development. Also, I think Shola is finished. Probably sounds daft given he's never actually done it in the first place but the reason I say that is because I don't think he's been properly fit for something like 5 or 6 years due to his hip problems. That's hampered an already limited player. His response to this has been to bulk up but while he is built like a brick shithouse it's probably made him a worse player because he's even less mobile than he was and you'd struggle to find a player less adept at using his strength in a useful manner. He's fucking shite in the air too, especially for his size. You'd struggle to get an Evening Chronicle under his feet when he goes up for a header.

I agree KSA, Ranger could well turn into a much better player but its just potential at the minute. A fit Shola does give you a goal threat.

With Shola and the fans, i think its a case of familiarity breeding contempt. His lack of any semblance of consistency is his major problem too.

I agree KSA, Ranger could well turn into a much better player but its just potential at the minute. A fit Shola does give you a goal threat.

With Shola and the fans, i think its a case of familiarity breeding contempt. His lack of any semblance of consistency is his major problem too.

That ship has sailed :jesuswept:

25 Man Squads due today, I think.

Wolves have theirs in, leaving out Knightly due to injury, but include new-boy Marcus Bent his 14th club(!!!)

WBA have theirs in, leaving out Luke Moore(£3.5m)

Aston villa have only named 22

Man City (not sure who they've left out, if any)

Keepers: Shay Given, Joe Hart, Stuart Taylor.

Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Wayne Bridge, Aleksander Kolarov, Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott, Shaleum Logan, Micah Richards, Kolo Toure, Pablo Zabaleta.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Nigel de Jong, Adam Johnson, Michael Johnson, James Milner, David Silva, Yaya Toure, Patrick Vieira, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Emmanuel Adebayor, Jo, Roque Santa Cruz, Carlos Tevez.

ManUtd include Hargreaves.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Went to South Shields v North Shields yesterday, the mackem side won 2-0, but what a great day out. Met loads of good people. There's a bloke used to post on here or N-O who posts as The Northumbrian, I'm sure it was here, but he couldn't remember which toon boards he posted on. Anyone what a great bloke, one of the most knowledgable blokes I've ever spoken to about football, he scouts for Norwegian teams too. Also met this bloke known as "The Undertaker", that's how he dresses, he's missed one toon game since 1973, great crack all day yesterday, you get a better class of fan at non league games imo. (Well it was The Vase but ye naa). A lot of the Blue Star fans have jumped on to North Shields now and I think I'll adopt them as my non league team now, apparently gates are up 200% and they think they can grow the club to be bigger than Blyth. I'd recommend non league games to anyone, for the crack as much as the football.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Went to South Shields v North Shields yesterday, the mackem side won 2-0, but what a great day out. Met loads of good people. There's a bloke used to post on here or N-O who posts as The Northumbrian, I'm sure it was here, but he couldn't remember which toon boards he posted on. Anyone what a great bloke, one of the most knowledgable blokes I've ever spoken to about football, he scouts for Norwegian teams too. Also met this bloke known as "The Undertaker", that's how he dresses, he's missed one toon game since 1973, great crack all day yesterday, you get a better class of fan at non league games imo. (Well it was The Vase but ye naa). A lot of the Blue Star fans have jumped on to North Shields now and I think I'll adopt them as my non league team now, apparently gates are up 200% and they think they can grow the club to be bigger than Blyth. I'd recommend non league games to anyone, for the crack as much as the football.

:D

Wasnt he the bloke obsessed by the Lindisfarne gospels or some such

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Donno but he was a nice bloke, very interesting and knowledgable, he came for a pint with us long after the game had finished, good crack all round the non league scene. He's a geordie like, but not a fan of NUFC, due to some of our fans attitudes, he said in the main once you've spoken to one toon fan you've spoke to them all, which I refuted, but I concede I'm as blinkered as many. Supports Berwick like and supports the local non league scene, honestly I enjoyed Saturday a lot more than I thought I would, no ego's at that level.

Aye.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
You're wasting your breath on some on here. I got grief that I could possibly support a non league team AND Nufc! Seriously dented my soopafan status apparently?

In the Supafan line though it goes like this though:

Stevie - Superfan - Good Fan - Fan - KBJ - RBJ - Gloryfanboy - Cunt

One thing where it could be said you belong to the far right there mind.