What Are You Watching?

Ketsbaia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love the X Files, but I probably remember it with fond memories on the basis I was a kid at the time and it was one of the only more "grown up" shows that I really had any interest in watching. I haven't re-watched it at all until this new run, so I'm sure there is plenty I would find cringeworthy and dated now.

I watched all of the previous seasons and films again in the last couple of years and I still thoroughly enjoyed them. How much of that enjoyment came from nostalgia? I don't really think it's possible to distinguish. Maybe if I'd never watched it at the time I'd have thought it was shit now.

That second film was one of the worst things they ever did mind.

Aye, showing the likes of the Affair and Broadchurch how you do a second series

Watching the first X files episode now.

Bit confused how they got to the spaceship in daylight and found the alien 20ft away hours later in the dark, despite there being 100 blokes walking around

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

Anyone watch Vinyl?

Bit of a mixture for me - some decent drama but a few dodgy characters and horrific English accents. I thought his wife was a twat when he went off the rails and the ending was far-fetched but there was enough promise to mean I'll probably keep watching for now.

Anyone watch Vinyl?

Bit of a mixture for me - some decent drama but a few dodgy characters and horrific English accents. I thought his wife was a twat when he went off the rails and the ending was far-fetched but there was enough promise to mean I'll probably keep watching for now.

Aye I pretty much thought the same as you. Obviously the music was another big plus on its side. Probably not as good as I was hoping, especially as Scorsese directed, but enough to keep me interested.

Starting to rewatch Game of Thrones for the new season, forgot what happened.

Might skip season 5 though, I thought it was naff. Massive shame they're diverting away from the books. And I'm still a bit pissed at the raping of Stannis' character.

Edited by Haydnator

Starting to rewatch Game of Thrones for the new season, forgot what happened.

Might skip season 5 though, I thought it was naff. Massive shame they're diverting away from the books. And I'm still a bit pissed at the raping of Stannis' character.

?

?

They people who write the show (David Benioff and DB Weiss) have completely destroyed Stannis' character. In the books he doesn't listen to Melisandre, he doesn't burn his daughter alive (he doesn't even bring her with him), he has a much better plotline in the books which they have completely binned and so on. They've completely destroyed one of the best characters in the books; whom I want to sit on the Iron Throne at the end.

Edited by Haydnator

They people who write the show (David Benioff and DB Weiss) have completely destroyed Stannis' character. In the books he doesn't listen to Melisandre, he doesn't burn his daughter alive (he doesn't even bring her with him), he has a much better plotline in the books which they have completely binned and so on. They've completely destroyed one of the best characters in the books; whom I want to sit on the Iron Throne at the end.

Yeah but people don't watch the show for character development - they watch it for burning daughters and heads being caved in.

Yeah but people don't watch the show for character development - they watch it for burning daughters and heads being caved in.

That is so, but it's blatantly obviously the two writers of the show hate Stannis. One of them has a tattoo of the Targaryen sigil on his arm, so they portray Dany as a messiah and paint Stannis as a vile, dark, acquiescent daughter burning zealot. The complete opposite to what he is in the books.

They needed something for the annual episode 9 "shock" so they decided to have Stannis burn his daughter alive, a plot point so pointless and a blatant attempt from the show writers to get the audience to worship Daenerys as the only choice for the throne.

Stannis' storyline at the point the show is at in the books is epic, but they've completely binned for what I think are obvious reasons.

Anyway, book fanboy conspiracy rant over.

Edited by Haydnator

This is a general thread like, not a GoT one. I haven't seen the last series yet as am waiting for the box set. I literally haven't read the blocks of text above this but please be mindful of spoilers.

Edited by Renton

This spoiler crack is getting out of hand now. It's not like it's a mystery novel, I'm sure you can still enjoy something if you know how it's going to end up. At some point, people raging about spoilers are fans of advertising rather than stories.

Just common courtesy though, isn't it?

I support spoiler tags etc but I would point out if Renton has taken the stance to not download/have sky and wait for the box set then it's going to be pretty hard for him to last that long unspoiled.

I support spoiler tags etc but I would point out if Renton has taken the stance to not download/have sky and wait for the box set then it's going to be pretty hard for him to last that long unspoiled.

That's it like, I'm watching them by box set which isn't out til next month. I look on this thread to get ideas for what to watch. I wouldn't look at the dedicated GoT thread as that's where spoilers (untagged) should be imo. Same with the other dedicated threads.

There's just no need to be talking spoilers without sticking them in tags. I'd say the statute of limitations goes back as far as the Wire, but honestly I wouldn't intentionally spoil a film from the 70s for someone.