What Are You Watching?

Ketsbaia

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone watch that Louis Theroux thing on alcoholics last night? I don't mean to make light of what is a horrible disease for some people, but the kid in his thirty's just needed to man up. He never usually drank then every couple of years got absolutely fucked up. It looked just the same as what happens when I go away with the lads. Get yourself a bottle of orange lucozade and a greggs sausage roll and you'll be fine you big girl.

I watched that earlier tonight, thought it was quite an uncomfortable watch at times. :(

I watched that earlier tonight, thought it was quite an uncomfortable watch at times. :(

I felt really sorry for the lass especially having that cunt for a boyfriend. The guy who had to have his stomach drained seemed like a complete lost cause.

The younger kid just needed to man up.

I felt really sorry for the lass especially having that cunt for a boyfriend. The guy who had to have his stomach drained seemed like a complete lost cause.

The younger kid just needed to man up.

That boyfriend was an absolute arsehole, I wanted to spark him out the way he was going on. :lol:

It was really depressing like.

I think Theroux felt the same way.

It was awful seeing her and the way she'd basically just given up and resigned herself to killing herself with drink.

That really was hard to watch, although I think it served well in showing that the problem with people like that is a lot more than just self control.

I found myself getting angry if I'm honest. Louis hit the nail on the head when he said they were all emotionally stunted. Happy to Stay sober when life's going well, straight on the drink as soon as someone upsets them.When they were pissed they were literally like toddlers in adult bodies, crying and snotting on.

The bloke at the end who fucked off and came back with a bottle of water looking to be congratulated would have just been sent on his way if the cameras hadn't been there.

Fwiw I don't think it was a good cross section. I've worked with plenty of alcoholics who don't go on like that. The French lasses fella needs putting down

I found myself getting angry if I'm honest. Louis hit the nail on the head when he said they were all emotionally stunted. Happy to Stay sober when life's going well, straight on the drink as soon as someone upsets them.When they were pissed they were literally like toddlers in adult bodies, crying and snotting on.

Aye I thought that. I know people say alcoholism is a disease but with some of them, alcohol was just a crutch because they couldn't handle what their life was. Their crutch could have just as easily been something else.

I think the term "disease" tends to give people an opt-out clause - oh, it's just how I am, I can't change now. It is an addictive behaviour, and obviously a potentially serious one at that, but it's not like it's an incurable condition that you can do fuck-all about.

I think the term "disease" tends to give people an opt-out clause - oh, it's just how I am, I can't change now. It is an addictive behaviour, and obviously a potentially serious one at that, but it's not like it's an incurable condition that you can do fuck-all about.

I'm all for helping people who are addicted to alcohol, multiple times if needed. But there comes a point where they have to show willing or it's just a waste of resources. Admitting someone to a medical bed for a week to detox at a cost of £400x7=£2800, only to have that person on the lash a week later is taking the piss

it's an interesting debate. clearly it is curable and there is the element of freewill involved. but can an addictive personality be described as a disease?

a lot of former alcoholics can go on to live a life of sobriety but others never can. are some simply people incapable of abstaining because of the way they're wired?

Aye I thought that. I know people say alcoholism is a disease but with some of them, alcohol was just a crutch because they couldn't handle what their life was. Their crutch could have just as easily been something else.

Just watched it. That one kid who kept wanting to leave the hospital to buy vodka and sleep rough in burgess park was the worst, I think. Just a really sad case. He was obviously quite bright too, which it made it all the more sad.

It's hard to fathom how people end up so far gone. I like a bender as much as the next man but I can't imagine ever getting to the point where the liver is that fucked you end up with the shakes as bad as that young kid had.