Sky+ HD Box

MattM4

I keep seeing this ad today for a new Sky+ HD box for £49. Obviously this deal involves a subscription and all but been meaning to get a new Sky Box for my mum as we have a pretty old Sky box set up in the family home. How would this work though, can you just plug it in in place of the old one and off you go?

Or do you have to set it up with the Sky people? This would be a problem as the subscription isn't officially in our name with us being abroad and all.

I keep seeing this ad today for a new Sky+ HD box for £49. Obviously this deal involves a subscription and all but been meaning to get a new Sky Box for my mum as we have a pretty old Sky box set up in the family home. How would this work though, can you just plug it in in place of the old one and off you go?

Or do you have to set it up with the Sky people? This would be a problem as the subscription isn't officially in our name with us being abroad and all.

If your 'old Sky box' is a Sky+ box then technically you can take out the old box and plug in the new box as both boxes have twin tuners. However, I'd imagine if you take up Sky's £49 offer then you'll have to also pay their £30 for installation (unless you're going to go for multiroom too).

If you've a standard box then it would be best to get an engineer out anyway as they'd need to upgrade your dish to a quad LNB and run another coax (or two new ones if the engineer does a proper job), and those parts would cost more than £30 retail so it's worth getting them to do it.

I got mine last year and just swapped it for my SKY+ box - rang them up to marry the sky card to the box.

It cost an extra £10 a month for the HD channels but you don't have to take up the offer as you can still get the freeview HD channels.

If you've a standard box then it would be best to get an engineer out anyway as they'd need to upgrade your dish to a quad LNB and run another coax (or two new ones if the engineer does a proper job), and those parts would cost more than £30 retail so it's worth getting them to do it.

The one we have now is a Panasonic DSB30:

FINALDSB30.jpg

think we got it around 2001, so, yeah, it's pretty ancient and pre Sky+ etc.

You need a new setup - Sky+ has two feeds to allow you to record two things and watch and record things etc, so they have to mess about with the dish too.

They put a new thingy on the front of my dish and an extra lead as you say.