Derby 4 Newcastle 1

Guest Stevie

I've written about this game loads of times on here and on Newcastle Online before the rent boys banned me. Seriously this game typified for me what being a toon fan is all about. Not a mackem accent in ear shot, not a lass to be seen, just 6,000 committed geordie toon fans, in unison in the face of adversity. We had three sent off, plus Terry Mac sent to the stands, and honestly on a day when the toon fans were the best, I've ever seen, we've been class many times, but on that day we were just fuckin out of this world, untouchable. We honestly murdered them with 9 men, we came back to 2-1 (watch how mental the toon fans go), but once O'Brien went off as well that was it. What a day to be a toon fan though, we were deep in trouble, but I left the ground full of pride in Newcastle United, in David Kelly, in Peacock, in Keegan, and of all the fans. Sadly I will never see a day like this again.

Was there but stood with the Derby fans as me and my dad couldnt get in the Toon end. They were pushing for promotion and in party mode.

Felt so low when I got home I could've walked under our front door wearing a top hat.

PS I'm fucking glad the Baseball Ground was knocked down an all.

I loved it, in fact alongside PSV, Bilbao, Ibrox and Wembley, I think I'd put it in my favourite grounds I've been to list. Did you go four month later when we won 1-2? A say ooh aah Franzie Carr say ooh ahh Franzie Carr.

PS I'm fucking glad the Baseball Ground was knocked down an all.

I loved it, in fact alongside PSV, Bilbao, Ibrox and Wembley, I think I'd put it in my favourite grounds I've been to list. Did you go four month later when we won 1-2? A say ooh aah Franzie Carr say ooh ahh Franzie Carr.

I went the next season but confess I'd completely forgotten the score til you just mentioned it. :nufc: Happier days. Plus that time I was in with our lot.

I'm glad your experience of the Baseball Ground was different to mine mate-I'm almost certain it'll have been cos we were stood with the Derby fans that day (and they were seemingly going up, it couldnt have been a bigger contrast to our plight). Even when we pulled one back we couldnt celebrate as we'd have been lynched (and like you say it was going mental in our end). Our fans were a credit that day, couldnt agree more. Legendary.

Not on that Youtube clip, but wasn't O'Brien's red for a kick up the arse? :nufc:

Aye I think it was :lol: . Sat just below me was old Stevie, there should've been a state funeral in Newcastle for him, he was a bigger part of Newcastle's history than most of these foreign mercenary cunts we've had in the last 10 year.

Brings a lump to my throat for exactly the reasons Stevie wrote about.

O' Brien went for the presumed classic "Are you happy now?" type remark to the cunt after the 4th goal.

not a lass to be seen, just 6,000 committed geordie toon fans

And since when does being a lass stop you being a committed geordie toon fan? Just curious...

It doesn't, they just didn't exist in our support before 1992/1993, and all of the rest of the SKY jesters hat circus that came with it, same as people with mackem accents. I reckon before 1992, baring in mind Sunderland had just been in the top flight, and a Cup Final, County Durham would've been 95/5 Sunderland. Today I reckon it's probably 60/40 in our favour.

Edited by Stevie

For me, Cardiff Semi with Manure was the best atmosphere I experienced. We were getting hammered but everytime they scored, we just got louder and louder. I was pretty smashed at the game but remember the atmospher making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

Was fed up on the bus home though.

And since when does being a lass stop you being a committed geordie toon fan? Just curious...

It doesn't, they just didn't exist in our support before 1992/1993, and all of the rest of the SKY jesters hat circus that came with it, same as people with mackem accents. I reckon before 1992, baring in mind Sunderland had just been in the top flight, and a Cup Final, County Durham would've been 95/5 Sunderland. Today I reckon it's probably 60/40 in our favour.

Fair enough. Tbh, I have felt the temptation to punch a number of the lasses in our support anyway...especially one who was screaming everytime Taylor got the ball in a home game this season, and one who actually had a banner saying "I love Michael Owen" at Arsenal away last year. Have to admit, I didn't go to games before Sky, but I was seven and my dad wouldn't take me to any, so I think I've got a good excuse (I make up for it now)!

And I work in County Durham, and the train home (going through Seaham and sunderland) when we have an evening KO is always packed full...so you might have a point there.

Fair enough. Tbh, I have felt the temptation to punch a number of the lasses in our support anyway...especially one who was screaming everytime Taylor got the ball in a home game this season, and one who actually had a banner saying "I love Michael Owen" at Arsenal away last year. Have to admit, I didn't go to games before Sky, but I was seven and my dad wouldn't take me to any, so I think I've got a good excuse (I make up for it now)!

And I work in County Durham, and the train home (going through Seaham and sunderland) when we have an evening KO is always packed full...so you might have a point there.

good lass [/patronise]

I wasn't at the game but I remember it well, getting evr more frustrated and depressed listening to Charles Harrison's commentary on Metro. You could hear our fans even at 4-1 down.

The defining game for me though was a few weeks later when we played Leicester at Filbert Street on the last day. A very dramatic day for all who were there! Although, of course as it turned out, the most important game was the Portsmouth game at home a week earlier, that was very tense stuff as well.

For me, Cardiff Semi with Manure was the best atmosphere I experienced. We were getting hammered but everytime they scored, we just got louder and louder. I was pretty smashed at the game but remember the atmospher making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

Was fed up on the bus home though.

remember us "singing" along to Local hero in the ground, the DJ guy in the ground played 'united roads' or someshit for them and had to keep turning it up louder and louder to drown out our boo's

the local hero thing is still on you tube i think

remember us "singing" along to Local hero in the ground,

Still one of my favourite ever moments following NUFC. Lee Clark was sitting in front of me and joining in even though he was still playing for Fulham at the time!

remember us "singing" along to Local hero in the ground,

Still one of my favourite ever moments following NUFC. Lee Clark was sitting in front of me and joining in even though he was still playing for Fulham at the time!

I was in the front row right on the left wing corner flag, the river side of the ground, and every time Scholes took a corner in front of me I could see myself on the big screen at the other end giving him the V's. Man Utd fans as good as they are sometimes, were absolutely shit that day.

The square just up from real pastyshop in cardiff- 1/2 hour before game a sea of Black & White, 2 daft Reds come waddling round the corner oblivious.

Rather than turn round and leg it, they decide to walk thru us. lad 6 ft from me asks one if he wants a pint?

The red is shocked but like an idiot says yes please......

within 30 seconds they must've had a good few gallon of beer tipped over their sorry heads.

The coppers were watching all this from a few yards away, and laughed like monkeys at the dumb Reds.

We all knew we were in for a pasting on the pitch ,so were there for the crack- one of the best.