Racism in football

Toonraider

If Shola can play that well in every game, he could be a 20 goal a season guy, and wear the no. 9 shirt with pride.

I'm sitting here this morning with a hoarse voice, and it's primarily due to him - if this is the level he is going to play at, i'm prepared to eat my words, and withdraw my criticism of him.

oh, and Bez, i can think of so many well constructed arguments to your atttempts at pot stirring, referencing an incident in 1984 is not valid, and a full reply would just legitimise your argument, so i wont.

48637[/snapback]

Pot stirring? We know NEwcastle has racism problems. There are literally hundreds of incidents every season. listen at the ground, in the pubs, on forums. Alex Williams is the most obvious - hoying bananas at him.

Its not shit-stirring. Its simply pointing out that we havent got rid of the problems. On KROF day it needs reaffirming.

Tyneside isnt very tolerant. Its fickle alright but is there more? Probably yes.

A lot more in my view.

We, as fans need to be active. Not sticking head in sand like Peasepud has doen and throw arms in air. ITs not all or nothing. If some are - and there are plenty of them - it doesnt follow the peasepud path of sgetting stroppy and suggesting I said ALL are.

Nor does it mean NONE are.

However, there are plenty. Sadly. At matches some jeer poor players. Others?

Well, its hardly coincidental is it?

48682[/snapback]

There is a very very small minority of arseholes that will shout out something racist on very rare occasions. That's inexcusable, but I don't think it can accurately be referred to as a "racism problem" - that to me sounds like something deep-seated and widespread and I don't know whereabouts you sit in the ground, but that isn't my experience where I sit.

And before anyone starts, I'm not excusing anything or trying to brush the racist comments that are sometimes (and I'm talking VERY rarely, in my experience) made under the carpet. To me, a club with "racism problems" would be one where a black player suffers monkey-chanting etc. I've heard one racist comment this season where I sit and probably two last season, both at away games - sorry, but that's an ignorant arsehole problem, not an entrenched racism problem.

The argument that black players are receiving stick because they're black is ridiculous by the way. The ones that you've listed have got stick because they've been playing completely shite - playing the race card on their behalf is pathetic.

48696[/snapback]

Personally i have no wish to re-open this can of worms. I said my piece before and i thought a very good debate followed. I also have no wish to create any divisions on here because i like all the regulars i 'know'.

However Gemmil, if the last paragraph above is your view with regards to the attitude of all football fans in general, then i think it is a little blinkered. :nufc:

48705[/snapback]

Its a can of worms. Answer this Gemmill. Do Black players get an even playing field regarding abuse - even how 'shite' they are?

We win yesterday and out comes the bile towards players who werent even playing? Is that just shit fans? Dont know do we?

Babayaro has actually played well this season. He has to do twice what Stephen Carr does to avoid abuse. titus always has got more abuse than AOB. - even though both played poorly.

In 2005 Gemmill you have heard racist abuse. In itself, even if its 'just' a slip of the tongue, its ridiculous. The undercurrent is still there in more than the morons though.

Black people tend to have to work harder in life to prove themselves. there is documented evidence of that.

I suspect that NUFCs black players fall into the same category. They have to do more to avoid the abuse. Nobody is doubting the players have had moments when they have been poor. However, they are one slip up away from more abuse. Others, like Milner, Carr, Ambrose, AOB (for a long long time), Griffin, ALL played badly but didnt get the same level of abuse. Why?

Its not a race card Gemmill. Its a very important topic that doesnt need knee jerk replies.

If Shola can play that well in every game, he could be a 20 goal a season guy, and wear the no. 9 shirt with pride.

I'm sitting here this morning with a hoarse voice, and it's primarily due to him - if this is the level he is going to play at, i'm prepared to eat my words, and withdraw my criticism of him.

oh, and Bez, i can think of so many well constructed arguments to your atttempts at pot stirring, referencing an incident in 1984 is not valid, and a full reply would just legitimise your argument, so i wont.

48637[/snapback]

Pot stirring? We know NEwcastle has racism problems. There are literally hundreds of incidents every season. listen at the ground, in the pubs, on forums. Alex Williams is the most obvious - hoying bananas at him.

Its not shit-stirring. Its simply pointing out that we havent got rid of the problems. On KROF day it needs reaffirming.

Tyneside isnt very tolerant. Its fickle alright but is there more? Probably yes.

A lot more in my view.

We, as fans need to be active. Not sticking head in sand like Peasepud has doen and throw arms in air. ITs not all or nothing. If some are - and there are plenty of them - it doesnt follow the peasepud path of sgetting stroppy and suggesting I said ALL are.

48682[/snapback]

There is a very very small minority of arseholes that will shout out something racist on very rare occasions. That's inexcusable, but I don't think it can accurately be referred to as a "racism problem" - that to me sounds like something deep-seated and widespread and I don't know whereabouts you sit in the ground, but that isn't my experience where I sit.

And before anyone starts, I'm not excusing anything or trying to brush the racist comments that are sometimes (and I'm talking VERY rarely, in my experience) made under the carpet. To me, a club with "racism problems" would be one where a black player suffers monkey-chanting etc. I've heard one racist comment this season where I sit and probably two last season, both at away games - sorry, but that's an ignorant arsehole problem, not an entrenched racism problem.

The argument that black players are receiving stick because they're black is ridiculous by the way. The ones that you've listed have got stick because they've been playing completely shite - playing the race card on their behalf is pathetic.

48696[/snapback]

Personally i have no wish to re-open this can of worms. I said my piece before and i thought a very good debate followed. I also have no wish to create any divisions on here because i like all the regulars i 'know'.

However Gemmil, if the last paragraph above is your view with regards to the attitude of all football fans in general, then i think it is a little blinkered. :nufc:

48705[/snapback]

It's my attitude with regards to the lads I know that go to watch Newcastle - I can only speak from my own experiences. Not many like Jenas (because he was shit), not many think much of Shola (because he's invariably disappointing), and they're beginning to have a problem with Boumsong (because he doesn't look like much of a defender at the moment). There isn't one of them that has a problem with these players because of the colour of their skin, or at least none that have made that public.

48637[/snapback]

A lot more in my view.

48682[/snapback]

48696[/snapback]

48705[/snapback]

It's my attitude with regards to the lads I know that go to watch Newcastle - I can only speak from my own experiences. Not many like Jenas (because he was shit), not many think much of Shola (because he's invariably disappointing), and they're beginning to have a problem with Boumsong (because he doesn't look like much of a defender at the moment). There isn't one of them that has a problem with these players because of the colour of their skin, or at least none that have made that public.

48709[/snapback]

Fair enough. However, the point remains: Lee Bowyer is shit and has been for 3 years. Does he get the abuse Jenas did? In the same quantity? Once Boumsong has been targeted - and he will be- will it be as easy for him rather than Stephen Taylor (who has dropped 3 major clangers this season but got away with 2 of them - 1st half vs Man Utd (trying to be clever and thy missed a sitter), Blackburn (diving in/pulling shirts constantly =10men) to avoid the abuse?

Most rational people accept that players are players. However, we have seen 101 posters/people in pubs using the words 'bling bastards' with regard to many of our players. Does that have any race connotation or is it something to do with football?

Some things are explicit (Alex williams amd bananas thrown from the leazes). It doesnt happen anymore. Does that mean its all gone? Racism is tacit thoughout. And it does exist. The worry from my perspective is that we will NEVER have a decent side until we lose the fickle CM nonsense and we discard this unequal playing field.

Do you see what I mean regarding Babayaro/Carr? One has actually played well this season. I have seen the words 'bling' and 'bastard' used to describe him frequently. Why? We seem to have accepted this. Is it racism? Is it a fan who does it?

'waste of spunk' was the descriptor of a player who didnt play yesterday. It wasnt the one who was injured and didnt sue the Mirror.

Edited by bez

O'Brien got as much, if not more stick than Bramble. FACT!

48712[/snapback]

Nonsense Gol. Bramble has always taken more abuse than AOB. FACT! at the end of the sentence doesnt make it a fact. AOB took stick but never the vitriol that followed Titus Bramble.

Rather than trivialising the issue try and read into it deeper and realise we still have aproblem.

48637[/snapback]

A lot more in my view.

48682[/snapback]

48696[/snapback]

48705[/snapback]

Its a can of worms. Answer this Gemmill. Do Black players get an even playing field regarding abuse - even how 'shite' they are?

We win yesterday and out comes the bile towards players who werent even playing? Is that just shit fans? Dont know do we?

Babayaro has actually played well this season. He has to do twice what Stephen Carr does to avoid abuse. titus always has got more abuse than AOB. - even though both played poorly.

In 2005 Gemmill you have heard racist abuse. In itself, even if its 'just' a slip of the tongue, its ridiculous. The undercurrent is still there in more than the morons though.

Black people tend to have to work harder in life to prove themselves. there is documented evidence of that.

I suspect that NUFCs black players fall into the same category. They have to do more to avoid the abuse. Nobody is doubting the players have had moments when they have been poor. However, they are one slip up away from more abuse. Others, like Milner, Carr, Ambrose, AOB (for a long long time), Griffin, ALL played badly but didnt get the same level of abuse. Why?

Its not a race card Gemmill. Its a very important topic that doesnt need knee jerk replies.

48707[/snapback]

I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't exist but I'm not prepared to make assumptions that a player is receiving stick because of the colour of their skin, when that player is consistently underperforming. I've heard plenty of moans and groans at mistakes made by white players too - Nicky Butt got it in the neck plenty, as did O'Brien. As I've said I'm not naively suggesting that there aren't some who think the way you've said, but I know personally that my problems with particular players stem from their performances, whatever their skin colour may be.

48637[/snapback]

A lot more in my view.

48682[/snapback]

48696[/snapback]

48705[/snapback]

48707[/snapback]

I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't exist but I'm not prepared to make assumptions that a player is receiving stick because of the colour of their skin, when that player is consistently underperforming. I've heard plenty of moans and groans at mistakes made by white players too - Nicky Butt got it in the neck plenty, as did O'Brien. As I've said I'm not naively suggesting that there aren't some who think the way you've said, but I know personally that my problems with particular players stem from their performances, whatever their skin colour may be.

48715[/snapback]

Butt was given more time than he warranted. Was he given more time than Faye? Of course. Did he warrant it? Not at all.

It happens. Too often.

People like Gol can use exceptions and I can throw a hundred and one example like posters/people on match day using 'bling bastard'

explain whether that is race or football related please. is it aceptable?

48712[/snapback]

Nonsense Gol. Bramble has always taken more abuse than AOB. FACT! at the end of the sentence doesnt make it a fact. AOB took stick but never the vitriol that followed Titus Bramble.

Rather than trivialising the issue try and read into it deeper and realise we still have aproblem.

48714[/snapback]

Woosh over the "FACT" tine tbh.

Anyway, it's a problem created by people who claim it is a problem. YOU'RE the one that's claiming it's a race issue. Back to your previous post regarding the word "bling"....don't you think that's down to what the actual term means? You think it gets applied to all black players, or just players who walk around covered in thousands of pounds worth of large diamond studded jewels?

Fancy going back to my question about Nicky Butt, or are we leaving that one as it doesn't quite fit your arguement?

48637[/snapback]

A lot more in my view.

48682[/snapback]

48696[/snapback]

48705[/snapback]

48709[/snapback]

Fair enough. However, the point remains: Lee Bowyer is shit and has been for 3 years. Does he get the abuse Jenas did? In the same quantity? Once Boumsong has been targeted - and he will be- will it be as easy for him rather than Stephen Taylor (who has dropped 3 major clangers this season but got away with 2 of them - 1st half vs Man Utd (trying to be clever and thy missed a sitter), Blackburn (diving in/pulling shirts constantly =10men) to avoid the abuse?

Most rational people accept that players are players. However, we have seen 101 posters/people in pubs using the words 'bling bastards' with regard to many of our players. Does that have any race connotation or is it something to do with football?

Some things are explicit (Alex williams amd bananas thrown from the leazes). It doesnt happen anymore. Does that mean its all gone? Racism is tacit thoughout. And it does exist. The worry from my perspective is that we will NEVER have a decent side until we lose the fickle CM nonsense and we discard this unequal playing field.

Do you see what I mean regarding Babayaro/Carr? One has actually played well this season. I have seen the words 'bling' and 'bastard' used to describe him frequently. Why? We seem to have accepted this. Is it racism? Is it a fan who does it?

'waste of spunk' was the descriptor of a player who didnt play yesterday. It wasnt the one who was injured and didnt sue the Mirror.

48711[/snapback]

I don't think your comparisons work mate - Bowyer gets less stick because his commitment is unquestionable and people put a lot of stock in that. I've watched Jenas hide in big games and that to me is inexcusable. Bowyer's problem was poor form, and people will excuse that more than they will a lack of heart.

As for Taylor and Boumsong - Taylor is a local lad and definitely gets too much worship based on his performances. However, I really don't believe that that's down to his skin colour - I think it's because he's a young local lad who gives 100% and who is finding his way in the game. Boumsong is an established international who cost 8m quid and people expect a lot more from him than he's currently delivering.

Babayaro/Carr - I think we want rid of both tbh.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the main people who dont treat a person equally are those that highlight the "problem". To list half a dozen black players and say that they are receiving abuse because of their skin colour means that you yourself see them differently to other players.

Every one of those players listed gets abuse because of the way in which they play and/or project themselves outside the game not because of the colour of their skin, I can honestly say that I dont even think about the skin colour in any views I have on a player, I havent excused things done by the likes of Bowyer, Bellamy, Robert, Butt and Butt again purely because he deserves to be listed twice because they're white. In the same way as I havent called a player because hes black.

If they do well they get credit regardless of skin colour, sexual preference or anything else. Same goes for if they're shite or acting like arseholes, they'll get slagged off, white, black, asian or even Australian.

Football fans get a bad press sometimes, if theres 50,000 people in a small enclosed space and you hear one racist taunt that doesnt make footballers racist just the same as hearing someone say something at work doesnt make the company racist.

48712[/snapback]

48714[/snapback]

Anyway, it's a problem created by people who claim it is a problem. YOU'RE the one that's claiming it's a race issue. Back to your previous post regarding the word "bling"....don't you think that's down to what the actual term means? You think it gets applied to all black players, or just players who walk around covered in thousands of pounds worth of large diamond studded jewels?

Fancy going back to my question about Nicky Butt, or are we leaving that one as it doesn't quite fit your arguement?

48717[/snapback]

Bling is associated with the black community generally. If you wish I can get you documented evidence of that. That is its origin.

The point is that BLACK players get more easily abused simply because as a nation/area we see that BLACK people are more susceptible to abuse than WHITE ones. It happens in all walks of life. Black people (and in fact women in the workplace) have to prove more and quicker than WHITE people. Again that is FACT! (aside from the whoosh/tbh shite)

Bling is just another example of tacit racism in the form it is used here and at the match.

There are players like Butt who were given more time than the likes of Faye. Both consistently shite. Why? Its tacit. It exists and it people like you who trivialise it that ensure it still exists.

Youre lazy minded Gol.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the main people who dont treat a person equally are those that highlight the "problem". To list half a dozen black players and say that they are receiving abuse because of their skin colour means that you yourself see them differently to other players.

Every one of those players listed gets abuse because of the way in which they play and/or project themselves outside the game not because of the colour of their skin, I can honestly say that I dont even think about the skin colour in any views I have on a player, I havent excused things done by the likes of Bowyer, Bellamy, Robert, Butt and Butt again purely because he deserves to be listed twice because they're white. In the same way as I havent called a player because hes black.

If they do well they get credit regardless of skin colour, sexual preference or anything else. Same goes for if they're shite or acting like arseholes, they'll get slagged off, white, black, asian or even Australian.

Football fans get a bad press sometimes, if theres 50,000 people in a small enclosed space and you hear one racist taunt that doesnt make footballers racist just the same as hearing someone say something at work doesnt make the company racist.

48720[/snapback]

Exactly the point I was trying to say. Good post Pud.

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

Explain why Babayaro gets the 'bling bastard' comments when playing well - and people say he is shite when clearly he has done well. Whilst Stephen Carr doesnt get any such moniker for playing worse?

Is the moniker - widely used - acceptable? We all know its connotations and what it actually mens in that context.

Nb: |Regardless of the fact that you wish to sweep it under the carpet, I assume you have accepted that its not YOU personally I am talking of.

However, it DOES exist.

More widespread than youre prepared to acknowledge. It happens on this forum. Regularly.

Edited by bez

48712[/snapback]

48714[/snapback]

48717[/snapback]

Bling is associated with the black community generally. If you wish I can get you documented evidence of that. That is its origin.

The point is that BLACK players get more easily abused simply because as a nation/area we see that BLACK people are more susceptible to abuse than WHITE ones. It happens in all walks of life. Black people (and in fact women in the workplace) have to prove more and quicker than WHITE people. Again that is FACT! (aside from the whoosh/tbh shite)

Bling is just another example of tacit racism in the form it is used here and at the match.

There are players like Butt who were given more time than the likes of Faye. Both consistently shite. Why? Its tacit. It exists and it people like you who trivialise it that ensure it still exists.

Youre lazy minded Gol.

48721[/snapback]

Please provide me with the evidence that Butt was given more time by the fans than Faye, and then compare with their performances. I feel you might not be able to do that.

Lazy minded eh? On what basis? I for one have never thought "he's black, so he's shit". I've always thought "he's shit, so he's shit". What's lazy minded by that.

Exactly what Pud said; the problem is created by those thinking it is a problem.

You gonna call me racist next, or just sticking with the lazy minded insult?

Tosser.

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

Explain why Babayaro gets the 'bling bastard' comments when playing well - and people say he is shite when clearly he has done well. Whilst Stephen Carr doesnt get any such moniker for playing worse?

Is the moniker - widely used - acceptable? We all know its connotations and what it actually mens in that context.

Nb: |Regardless of the fact that you wish to sweep it under the carpet, I assume you have accepted that its not YOU personally I am talking of.

However, it DOES exist.

More widespread than youre prepared to acknowledge. It happens on this forum. Regularly.

48723[/snapback]

Did you not rate Carr highly in yesterday's game, whilst I said he was shite? Surely that's me being racist? :nufc:

48712[/snapback]

48714[/snapback]

48717[/snapback]

Youre lazy minded Gol.

48721[/snapback]

Please provide me with the evidence that Butt was given more time by the fans than Faye, and then compare with their performances. I feel you might not be able to do that.

Lazy minded eh? On what basis? I for one have never thought "he's black, so he's shit". I've always thought "he's shit, so he's shit". What's lazy minded by that.

Exactly what Pud said; the problem is created by those thinking it is a problem.

You gonna call me racist next, or just sticking with the lazy minded insult?

Tosser.

48724[/snapback]

Dont get personal you idiot. Youre lazy minded. Or too thick to acknowledge the documented evidence that black people are more easily susceptible to abuse.

It happens too bloody easily you prick.

That is FACT. Not your childish FACT! shit

Evidence? go to the bloody match and you will see. Butt didnt get abuse for 6 months for playing shite. Faye lasted about 3 weeks. Bowyer? He isnt good enough but its accepted. Why?

You still havent said why you think 'bling bastard is acceptable. That is either lazy minded today or youre thick as pig shit? Which one?

Explain the Babayaro /Carr analogy this season. Explain why his decent performances are met with 'bling bastard'

YOure worse than those that do it.

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

Did you not rate Carr highly in yesterday's game, whilst I said he was shite? Surely that's me being racist? :nufc:

48725[/snapback]

Carr has been poor this season. Yesterday he did fine. So what?

I see people didnt resort to descibing him as a ??? bastard though. did they. Babayaro, however, gets a slightly different response.

Not from you.

However, youre attitude makes you as cuplable as them at present.

Idiot.

Lordy.

I might repeat someone as I haven't gone through the endless arguments but most people around me say Ameobi is shit but they want Chopra to be given a chance! Neither player is white but one has proven to be hit and miss (about 95% miss tbh). It's all about performance, otherwise why are they begging for Chopra?

Does Nobby get shit? Did Ferdinand, or Asprilla?

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

48725[/snapback]

I see people didnt resort to descibing him as a ??? bastard though. did they. Babayaro, however, gets a slightly different response.

Not from you.

Idiot.

48728[/snapback]

Sorry, I failed to spot that you were purely stating the obvious that racism does actually exist in this world. Congratulations for spotting that one. Just how many Newcastle supporters to that apply to by the way, based on your evidence and findings?

Loving the irony that after you resorted to personal attacks, you then complained when it happened back to you. Bit lazy minded that one.

"you're" btw

Lordy.

I might repeat someone as I haven't gone through the endless arguments but most people around me say Ameobi is shit but they want Chopra to be given a chance!  Neither player is white but one has proven to be hit and miss (about 95% miss tbh).  It's all about performance, otherwise why are they begging for Chopra?

Does Nobby get shit? Did Ferdinand, or Asprilla?

48731[/snapback]

Good players get no grief, regardless of creed or colour.

Mostly, in most cases it is the case.

However, the point remains. Black players on Tyneside have more work to do to win fans over than White ones.

Black players get still get tacit abuse which we seem to accept e.g. bling bastard.

White ones dont. why?

Acceptable?

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

48725[/snapback]

Useless Paddy bastid. Should fuck back off to his own country IMO.

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

48725[/snapback]

Not from you.

Idiot.

48728[/snapback]

Sorry, I failed to spot that you were purely stating the obvious that racism does actually exist in this world. Congratulations for spotting that one. Just how many Newcastle supporters to that apply to by the way, based on your evidence and findings?

Loving the irony that after you resorted to personal attacks, you then complained when it happened back to you. Bit lazy minded that one.

"you're" btw

48732[/snapback]

It's called irony. 'Cast the first stone' and all. I apologise for using shorthand. In future, I will draw you pictures and post you crayons to colour it in with. Try to use them all.

A basic search on the forums tells you that it exists on a larger scale than you seem to feel worth of discussing.

Highlighting it seems to offend you.

You havent explained yet whether 'bling bastard' is racist in the context we discussed. Or whether it is acceptable.

Well done on trivialising an important issue.

One that is obvious but you DONT WANT to see.

Edited by bez

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

Did you not rate Carr highly in yesterday's game, whilst I said he was shite? Surely that's me being racist? :o

48725[/snapback]

Not from you.

Idiot.

48728[/snapback]

"you're" btw

48732[/snapback]

It's called irony. I apologise for using shorthand. In future, I will draw you pictures and post you crayons to colour it in with. Try to use them all.

48735[/snapback]

What's called irony? That you got the grammar wrong? :nufc:

Congratulations on skipping every single point and question in my post though.

Just how many Newcastle supporters does that apply to by the way, based on your evidence and findings?

By the way, Gemmill has already used your put-down, just today in fact. Not very original of you tbh, and he's a lot funnier than you anyway :(

48720[/snapback]

SWEEP UNDER CARPET?

However, it DOES exist.

48723[/snapback]

Did you not rate Carr highly in yesterday's game, whilst I said he was shite? Surely that's me being racist? :o

48725[/snapback]

Not from you.

Idiot.

48728[/snapback]

"you're" btw

48732[/snapback]

It's called irony. I apologise for using shorthand. In future, I will draw you pictures and post you crayons to colour it in with. Try to use them all.

48735[/snapback]

What's called irony? That you got the grammar wrong? :nufc:

Congratulations on skipping every single point and question in my post though.

Just how many Newcastle supporters does that apply to by the way, based on your evidence and findings?

By the way, Gemmill has already used your put-down, just today in fact. Not very original of you tbh, and he's a lot funnier than you anyway :(

48737[/snapback]

Hes more intelligent than you. He acknowledged that there is a problem. However, he did use the caveat (look it up on google) that it wasnt him!

You really are the type of person that allows these issues to continue.

Not quite bright enough to see the problem but too smug to acknowledge your own ignorance.

Now, for the third time. Is 'bling bastard' an acceptable term in that context? Not that you have skipped it. Thats ironic too.