Racism in football

Toonraider

I remember quite a strange incident I had in Oz where I was talking to an Aboriginal about Rugby (the Rugby World Cup was on at the time). Anyway, I told him I was pleased England were doing well but I prefered 'soccer'. I used that phrase to avoid further confusion. He told me it was pretty much a 'wog' sport. It took me a few seconds for him to realise he meant Italians/Greeks. The term isn't particularly offensive there, roughly equivalent to calling a French bloke a frog here I think.

why

49017[/snapback]

For being a bully and a bigot, mainly.

49019[/snapback]

I thought you meant a successful manager, who was such a good manager, players followed him from club to club to play for him for a moment ....

Read his books. And those by others who talk about him. Clough was no bully.

He is, sadly, the sort of manager that Souness can only dream of being

49052[/snapback]

Cloughie was no different to most people of that era, indeed we are all bigoted and prejudiced in one form or another even today. I know I am and anyone who says they aren't, are liars.

What HTT said

Isn't America meant to be a classless society? The place with the worst racism problem in the world.

49229[/snapback]

Are they really a classless society? You don't buy into all that 'free society' shite do you?

49233[/snapback]

Well no, but you don't believe in true classlessness outside of communism do you?

The little man will always get the shit end of the stick. Black people should have the same oppurtunity as white to be holding the stick.

but in contrast to your point about having no non white high court judges, senior politicians etc the US is completely the opposite. Yet its the most racist country in the world ??

49247[/snapback]

Also has a lot of black academics, something you don't find in UK Universities.

but in contrast to your point about having no non white high court judges, senior politicians etc the US is completely the opposite. Yet its the most racist country in the world ??

49247[/snapback]

49251[/snapback]

Uncle Tom's tbh.

black people (same job examples are noted) get paid LESS than white counterparts

Is that because they aren't really as capable as their peers but got the job due to positive discrimination?

49116[/snapback]

No, neither. There are cases (many of them) where BLACK people /women/black women etc (those we know from the statistics published by the DTI,EOC are discrimated against)

DO THE SAME JOB (exactly the same job) and get paid less for it.

Now, this happens regularly enough to put a 20% disparity between women and men doing EXACTLY THE SAME JOB across the UK.

Nowt to do with ability. Lots to do with prejudice.

The point is, if British society is capable of this then what makes NUFC any different in its ability to tolerate Black players and treat them equally?

Now, MOST people are rational. Most people also have some prejudice of some sort somewhere, however much we have rightly pushed it away.

Given Andy Coles return to SJP and the bile (much of it involving the word BLACK) and the ridiculous comments made about players recently: Compare these comments from forums: JJ (break legs/die/bling bastard etc) with AOB (shit). The vitriol is very different. The same with Baba/Carr. Dyer when not playing (waste of spunk) and Bowyer when not "playing".

Whether we care to see it or not there is an undercurrent. Not as visible as it used to be but a bigger issue than some who care to acknowledge.

For every exception to the rule there is another example we can mention.

Nobody has said that SJP has turned into Burnley. Not have we said that every poster is Nick Griffin. However, racism is on the rise nationally in many ways. Politically, the NF/BNP are gaining some ground. Tensions go with it.

To ignore it is fine. We have had that bullshit line from several people. So why do we have an EOC? KROF?

Anyway, at least some people have decided to think (for a change) ;)

Next time you or the people sat next to you at the match or the pub slag Stephen Carr, ask yourself whether it was preceded with a moniker related to his ancestry and culture. did they do the other lads the same courtesy?

One strike and out is the racism rule in football grounds.

Until we have eradicated the problem entirely we need to keep on eye on it and perhaps some people will notice we arent as free from it as many suggest.

49247[/snapback]

49251[/snapback]

Uncle Tom's tbh.

49255[/snapback]

You reckon? have I been whooshed? ;)

i would have thought there are plenty of radical thinkers amongst African-American academics. Also, would you prefer a situation like this country where the opposite is the case and there are hardly any black people in University departments?

49247[/snapback]

49251[/snapback]

Uncle Tom's tbh.

49255[/snapback]

You reckon? have I been whooshed? ;)

i would have thought there are plenty of radical thinkers amongst African-American academics. Also, would you prefer a situation like this country where the opposite is the case and there are hardly any black people in University departments?

49260[/snapback]

Jenas was a lazy bling tosser who couldn't be arsed to make anything of his talent at Newcastle, and went through the motions for 2 1/2 years.

I hope he dies soon, every good shift he puts in for Spurs is a slap in the face for Newcastle supporters.

he can drop dead as far as I'm concerned.

vitriolic?

Wonder what he feels about AOB

Jenas was a lazy bling tosser who couldn't be arsed to make anything of his talent at Newcastle, and went through the motions for 2 1/2 years.

I hope he dies soon, every good shift he puts in for Spurs is a slap in the face for Newcastle supporters.

vitriolic?

49267[/snapback]

Probably thought he was a tryer who was shite.

vitriolic?

49267[/snapback]

49271[/snapback]

Perhaps. Wonder if he got the vitriol. If I quoted you it was in error. Just got in and buying something on ebay is top of the agenda at present.

Speechless Bez?

;)

49266[/snapback]

Sorry. not with you Alex. Explain please.

49270[/snapback]

You quoted me in a post above but didn't write owt.

vitriolic?

49267[/snapback]

49271[/snapback]

Perhaps. Wonder if he got the vitriol. If I quoted you it was in error. Just got in and buying something on ebay is top of the agenda at present.

49273[/snapback]

In fairness to AOB, I think he was a 100-er, even if he wasn't good enough. Not sure JJ always gave his all.

Edited by alex

vitriolic?

49267[/snapback]

49271[/snapback]

49273[/snapback]

In fairness to AOB, I think he was a 100-er, even if he wasn't good enough. Not sure JJ always gave his all.

49275[/snapback]

I dont buy that. JJ played in every position for NUFC. We ruined him and the only moan he had was pointing out that Newcastle is big village. It is. Unwise to say it but true enough.

I do think some players get the vitriol easier than others.

vitriolic?

49267[/snapback]

49271[/snapback]

49273[/snapback]

49275[/snapback]

I dont buy that. JJ played in every position for NUFC. We ruined him and the only moan he had was pointing out that Newcastle is big village. It is. Unwise to say it but true enough.

I do think some players get the vitriol easier than others.

49278[/snapback]

Ok then Bez, how come despite some very ordinary performances JJ got practically no stick at the match whereas AOB got loads of stick? Explain that.