Racism in football

Toonraider

Skirted over the issue of the age of the people running this board by the way.

Nice to hear though eh Peasepud.

Bez, how old do you actually think I might be?

49662[/snapback]

Given the age of your lass, I'd hope no older than 22. :icon_lol:

.... ;)

F**king Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt sure i should be saying something through all that but i couldn't understand half of it and the rest made me cringe ;)

I'll post this though, i've never been to Newcastle so i would never comment upon it's people and their various attitudes. I've been involved in a debate about players on here before so i won't repeat all that.

I have heard racist comments directed at players at (i think) every away game i've been to. I might add these have mostly been in London but, judging by the fans accents, it was people from the North-East screaming them. I have felt intimidated before but i'm a bit bigger now and also other NUFC fans have only had nice words to say to me. I've felt edgy about taking my little sister but that's also to do with the bad language as well as the occasional racist comment. She'll have to learn someday that it's just part of life.

However, and this couldn't sound more patronising so i apologise beforehand, i think it's hard for a white English person to understand or empathise with a how a black English person can sometimes feel in certain situations or atmosphere's. There are times when people's reactions to myself are not warranted by my behaviour or anything i've said. This can be in the form of, assuming i represent some form a physical threat to a person walking alone (i think all youths suffer this regardless of colour but i've noticed in slightly more towards black boys/men), as an afterthought to that, i'm sure in Newcastle (judging from the t.v.) that if a charver suddenly appears behind you in a quiet road, you assume the worst! Going into a shop can often arouse the owner or hired security's suspicions and i'm often followed until i leave. It can also take the form of some white lads seemingly deliberately picking me or another black lad out for some conversation that seems friendly enough before they eventually getting round to a whispered question of 'Do i know anyone who can sell them some dope?'

I'm old enough yet to know if racism is prevelant in the work place and my relatives have been self-employed as builders/decorators, etc.

The Police. This is not an exaggeration, everytime i've seen the police pulling a car driver over and questioning him, everytime i've seen them stopping and questioning a youth on the pavement, everytime i've seen them conduct a stop and search on the street, it's been a black boy/man. I do not live in a especially black area, it is disproportianate. Eventually it gets to you.

Black idolisation of gun culture and hip-hop life style is deeply damaging imo. However there is a fair arguement that it is a reaction to an unfair social and justice system which has always victimised the underclass, regardless of colour incidentally. The ruling white system acted very unjustly towards slaves, former slaves and their offspring. I often ask myself 'What happened here?' When the 1st Caribbean people came here they were good, hard working friendly folk. Their children and their childrens children have very different attitudes. Is that purely down to the 'Black Mind Set' or does it also have something to do with black children, being born and raised here and told they should have the same rights and opportunities as white's, looking at how their parents are being treated and then deciding all is not what it seems in England? I look at Indians, Pakistani's, etc. I used to think they were different, that they've handled it so much better, now i look at poor Asian areas and the crime and destructive attitudes within it and i think they haven't done much better really. There are a lot more Asian professionals and i can't tell you why. We're no different in terms of physiology that our brains couldn't handle the learning, so why is it?

Part of it may be due to the attitude of the host country. Indians, i think, were always regarded for their intellingence, their history is evident as are their accomplishments before the colonisation. They have never lost sight of their, culture, history or language. My ancestors were enslaved, shipped like cattle, just animals to help in the field. Stripped of all dignity, knowledge of self and one's past. I can't truly understand what damage that kind of displacment did to my father's father' father's father psyche, can you? And yet that displacement is the reason i am here.

2 things will finally eliminate discriminatory attitudes towards blacks in England: 1) Time, eventually we will have been here so long and so inter bred that it will be normal. 2) When the hysterical media find a new devil to focus on, some new immigrant population that feels the brunt of the prejudice. The Irish have had it, the Blacks, the Asians maybe now the east europeans (harder i think because they're white) maybe Arabs, muslim and dark skinned!!!!!

Personally i consider myself English, the place i was born, the language i speak and the culture i understand. What someone may consider me is their business and not something i'd let deter me from what i want out of life.

Good to hear your perspective, it is difficult for white people to empathise and I don't think it's patronising of you to say so. Do you know where I can get some decent skunk though? ;)

Good to hear your perspective, it is difficult for white people to empathise and I don't think it's patronising of you to say so. Do you know where I can get some decent skunk though? ;)

49711[/snapback]

PM me, i've got some blinging gear, blow you f**king brains maaaaaan!

:icon_lol::nufc::blush::angry::angry:

Skirted over the issue of the age of the people running this board by the way.

Nice to hear though eh Peasepud.

Bez, how old do you actually think I might be?

49662[/snapback]

Given the age of your lass, I'd hope no older than 22. :nufc:

.... ;)

49685[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Good post Choc Chip. For the record, away fans seems to have a bigger proportion of racist dick heads. Either that or they keep quiet at SJP in case they lose their ST.

49724[/snapback]

Yeah, i guessed as much.

I think that some of them just say the most obnoxious thing they can think of rather than a true reflection of the views of 'other' people.

Good post Choc Chip. For the record, away fans seems to have a bigger proportion of racist dick heads. Either that or they keep quiet at SJP in case they lose their ST.

49724[/snapback]

Yeah, i guessed as much.

I think that some of them just say the most obnoxious thing they can think of rather than a true reflection of the views of 'other' people.

49726[/snapback]

Re the away games observation (more likely to hear racism there), I remember a time when it was not uncommon to hear comments but I can honestly say I've not heard it for the last ten years.

I wouldnt be naive as to think it doesnt happen at all, but I do take comfort in the fact that 99.9% of the time, the attitudes of the vast majority make those few perpetrators so uncomfortable as to feel that it is completely unacceptable to verbalise the (frankly abhorrent) things that they might want to say.

Funny story.

I was at White Hart Lane with a Geordie friend and this bloke 2 seats along (we were all standing though) starts some sort of Pro-Nazi, Anti-Semitic rant. Me and my mate start laughing 'cause this guy is truly nuts. The thing is, he had a London East End accent. Then when i laugh too loudly this bloke turns to me and says 'Anyway, what are you f**king doin' ere?' I didn't really know what to say to this, then this huge skinhead Geordie who is standing behind the mental Nazi kicks him in the back of the head and he goes limp and falls over (he later gets up and wanders off). The skinhead Geordie says 'Nae botha son, you're alright by me, i'll look after you, i fookin' hate cockney's me, like.' I smiled weakly and looked pitchward and didn't utter a sound.

At half-time me and my mate stay in our seats to avoid conversation while the rest go for a piss. When skinhead comes back he had bought me and my mate a cup of tea, my mate thanked him a lot and i kept mute and nodded in an exaggerated fashion. Then i turn round to watch the teams come out and i hear skinhead say 'Oi, chocolate.' My heart froze and i half turned to my mate for help and i can see the skinheads hand over my shoulder passing me 2 twix's for dipping in our tea. I was so relieved i almost spoke, just kept smiling and nodding and trying not to cry out of relief.

Me and my mate still laugh about that, him more than me though...

Funny story.

I was at White Hart Lane with a Geordie friend and this bloke 2 seats along (we were all standing though) starts some sort of Pro-Nazi, Anti-Semitic rant. Me and my mate start laughing 'cause this guy is truly nuts. The thing is, he had a London East End accent. Then when i laugh too loudly this bloke turns to me and says 'Anyway, what are you f**king doin' ere?' I didn't really know what to say to this, then this huge skinhead Geordie who is standing behind the mental Nazi kicks him in the back of the head and he goes limp and falls over (he later gets up and wanders off). The skinhead Geordie says 'Nae botha son, you're alright by me, i'll look after you, i fookin' hate cockney's me, like.' I smiled weakly and looked pitchward and didn't utter a sound.

At half-time me and my mate stay in our seats to avoid conversation while the rest go for a piss. When skinhead comes back he had bought me and my mate a cup of tea, my mate thanked him a lot and i kept mute and nodded in an exaggerated fashion. Then i turn round to watch the teams come out and i hear skinhead say 'Oi, chocolate.' My heart froze and i half turned to my mate for help and i can see the skinheads hand over my shoulder passing me 2 twix's for dipping in our tea. I was so relieved i almost spoke, just kept smiling and nodding and trying not to cry out of relief.

Me and my mate still laugh about that, him more than me though...

49749[/snapback]

;) Canny

I'm sure he probably meant he hated cockney arseholes though, so you would have been OK.

Just a quick thought I just had...

Is John Barnes on TV presenting football because he is black?

He is shite at presenting, why do they keep him on?

Ian wright has genuine talent on tv, but I havent been able to understand why John Barnes football night is still on

Ian wright has genuine talent on tv, but I havent been able to understand why John Barnes football night is still on

50743[/snapback]

I suspect Five are persevering with him in the hopes that he'll undergo a Lineker-esque transformation. Lineker was fucking dreadful when first started presenting an'all.

50743[/snapback]

I would say ....

a definite yes

Does Garth Crooks have talent ?

As for Ian Wright, he's got a bubbly personality, but I read his book and he's a nutter

Edited by LeazesMag

crooks is average as a commentator - there are worse

with Wright they are risking him attacking someone on TV live or landing them with a monster bill for libel - the man can't control himself

Barnes is dreadful - I doubt he'd be there if he wasn't black. But then there are a load of commentators like that - Sally Gunnel is probably the worst I can think of

Ian Wright always seems to get the hump and sulks! For me her ruins "They Think its all over" you could see how uncomfortable Defoe was being on his team after McGrath made a Henman joke and Wright got in a strop!

Big Kid!

Ian Wright is a cock and also absolutely talentless as regards presenting and appearing on TV, though in this day and age thats pretty much the norm!

Barnes is absolutely dire when an autocue is involved, if he's just talking as himself with his own words he's ok.

quite like mark bright as a summariser,tends to pick up on the little things you miss,ian wright is a "name" with little talent but lots of enthusiasm in front of the cameras.

on the subject of racism....brummies !!!!! only time i can stand that accent is adrian chiles/childs/childes/chillblaines ???????,fan with a funny dour streak,if we do them tomorrow motd2 may be fun.

Isn't Barnes on telly because he's an ex-player? ;)

51390[/snapback]

How do you explain that Trevor MacDonald bloke then? Or Al Jolson? :lol:

51391[/snapback]

Pure unadulaterated talent obviously.

What's so bad about Barnes? So he can't read an autocue? Hang him...

At least he's real and so is his show, unlike half the bubble-wrapped crap passing off as football shows like MOTD and MOTD2, not to mention the dreadful Premiership.

Plus I've met Barnes and he's a top bloke. Very knowledgeable about the game in my opinion and very likeable.

I don't agree with his opinion on black managers not getting a chance because of their skin color mind, I agree with Chris Kamara - most of them don't even bother trying.

Although I'm sure racism exists in boardrooms, but today if you're good enough, it doesn't matter what you skin color happens to be or whether you're British or a foreigner. The way it should be.

I think Ian Wright is OK too, when not 'presenting', too false. But in generall he's OK.

What's so bad about Barnes?  So he can't read an autocue? Hang him...

At least he's real and so is his show, unlike half the bubble-wrapped crap passing off as football shows like MOTD and MOTD2, not to mention the dreadful Premiership.

Plus I've met Barnes and he's a top bloke. Very knowledgeable about the game in my opinion and very likeable.

I don't agree with his opinion on black managers not getting a chance because of their skin color mind, I agree with Chris Kamara - most of them don't even bother trying.

Although I'm sure racism exists in boardrooms, but today if you're good enough, it doesn't matter what you skin color happens to be or whether you're British or a foreigner. The way it should be.

I think Ian Wright is OK too, when not 'presenting', too false. But in generall he's OK.

51801[/snapback]

His dress sense is pre-makeover Barry Venison tbh ;)

What's so bad about Barnes? So he can't read an autocue? Hang him...

51801[/snapback]

Surely that's not even true of NUFC ;)