Viduka Ready To Aid Drop Fight

dbsweeney

MARK Viduka is poised for a return to action and believes he can get back to goalscoring form and help struggling Newcastle United fight off a relegation battle.

The 33-year-old, who hasn't scored for Newcastle since April, could return to the Magpies first-team this Saturday after over a month out with a groin injury when they face bottom club West Bromwich in an important clash between two battling sides.

Along with Viduka, forwards Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith are also returning to fitness at St James' Park which will give Toon fans hope.

And the former Celtic and Leeds hitman, who has struggled with injuries and form since joining Newcastle in 2007, believes he can play his part in helping the Magpies out of relegation danger.

Viduka told The Echo: "Last year we showed towards the end we could play together with three up front. We were a threat to many defences. And I'd love to repeat some of that.

"Last season they couldn't deal with Oba's pace, Michael Owen's goalscoring ability and myself as a target man."

Currently though, Newcastle are just one point out of the drop zone sitting precariously in 15th in the Premier League.

Viduka added: "The manager's got a lot of options up front when everyone's fit, and this team has got goals in it.

"We pulled away from trouble last season when we used that formation and if we can click up front again then hopefully we can do the same this time."

You think he is hinting at JFK to play 433?

With the team we have now tho im not sure how it would work?

Harper

R.Taylor---Coloccini---Bassong---Enrique

Lovenkrands---Nolan---Gutierrez

---Smith---

Martins---Viduka

Pace down the flanks with overlapping fullbacks, dig and drive in the middle, Smith in the hole beind the pace of oba and strength and guile of viduka.

Could be good, but i doubt JFK has the balls or the tactical nouse to try it out though.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Unfortunately, Spiderman has to sit this game out--five yellow cards rule.

Otherwise, good idea.

Oh yeah id forgot about that...Duff could deputise but again i dont think we are likely to se JFK play something like that. Shame.

Harper

S.Taylor -- S. Bassong -- F. Coloccini -- J. Enrique

R. Taylor -- N. Butt -- K. Nolan

D. Duff -- M. Viduka -- O. Martins

Edited by OzToonFan

Harper

It might be those players but I'd be gobsmacked if it wasn't 4-4-2 with Duff at LW. Of course the players could just play 4-3-3 when they get on the pitch :lol:

His contract's coming up for renewal at the end of the season and lo and behold he's magically fit again for the run in. Funny that.

exactly what i was thinking

He's about as likely to get a new contract as Kinnear is to deviate from 4-4-2.

You think he is hinting at JFK to play 433?

With the team we have now tho im not sure how it would work?

Harper

R.Taylor---Coloccini---Bassong---Enrique

Lovenkrands---Nolan---Gutierrez

---Smith---

Martins---Viduka

Pace down the flanks with overlapping fullbacks, dig and drive in the middle, Smith in the hole beind the pace of oba and strength and guile of viduka.

Could be good, but i doubt JFK has the balls or the tactical nouse to try it out though.

Rather see Carroll than Smith.

Harper

It might be those players but I'd be gobsmacked if it wasn't 4-4-2 with Duff at LW. Of course the players could just play 4-3-3 when they get on the pitch :lol:

Haha, Joe wouldnt know the difference.

If Viduka can magically stay fit for the rest of the season he could see us climb the table, If worse comes to worse he could just tutor carroll a bit

If worse comes to worse he could just tutor carroll a bit

" So Andy, I see your pace is a bit short, I find Pies help"

"Er, Mark, I'm getting caught on the ball to often for my liking, any ideas?"

" Cheese & Onion Pasties mate, they'll sort ya"

"Any tips on beating Offside traps mark?"

" Doughnuts, Mince Pies, Stotties, Steak slice, ..................................................................

Edited by Monkeys Fist

I thought he was heading back to the sun after this season?

He most prob will TBH

finish his career in the A league

For the last two years there have been rumours flying around that Viduka's going to go home to join the mighty Melbourne Victory, but I don't see it happening. The A-League clubs are all operating under a salary cap and I don't know if anyone will be able to afford him. Although I'd love to see him for the Victory, especially since I'm planning to be home by September. Viduka and Archie Thompson up front = :lol:

MARK Viduka is poised for a return to action and believes he can get back to goalscoring form and help struggling Newcastle United fight off a relegation battle.

The 33-year-old, who hasn't scored for Newcastle since April, could return to the Magpies first-team this Saturday after over a month out with a groin injury when they face bottom club West Bromwich in an important clash between two battling sides.

Along with Viduka, forwards Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith are also returning to fitness at St James' Park which will give Toon fans hope.

And the former Celtic and Leeds hitman, who has struggled with injuries and form since joining Newcastle in 2007, believes he can play his part in helping the Magpies out of relegation danger.

Viduka told The Echo: "Last year we showed towards the end we could play together with three up front. We were a threat to many defences. And I'd love to repeat some of that.

"Last season they couldn't deal with Oba's pace, Michael Owen's goalscoring ability and myself as a target man."

Currently though, Newcastle are just one point out of the drop zone sitting precariously in 15th in the Premier League.

Viduka added: "The manager's got a lot of options up front when everyone's fit, and this team has got goals in it.

"We pulled away from trouble last season when we used that formation and if we can click up front again then hopefully we can do the same this time."

Bollocks to him, sure as hell couldnt be arsed at Wigan when he decided just to walk straight down the tunnel when he couldnt be arsed.