Shay - Press Conference

donaldstott

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he would have rather stayed here but conditions made it impossible.

If he isn't enjoying it, why be here?

Yeah, I agree.

Is he suggesting Newcastle should have accepted £3M because of his service to the club though?

Cos he can get to fuck if that's his problem where "they made me do things I didn't want to do".

BBC have similar but different quotes...

"There are a couple of things they could have done to keep me, but I think in the end they just wanted to take the money," said the 32-year-old.

"I just felt that after the service I gave the club, then the regime at Newcastle could have handled the whole thing a bit better."

"They made me do things I didn't want to do and this was an opportunity to further my career and pick up more silverware"

"In the last six months it has been fizzling out. It has not been enjoyable going into training.

"Maybe it's myself just being selfish, but I think I deserved a little bit better than that."

"The Liverpool match was a low point in my career"

"It was one of those points where if I had left the pitch and never seen a football again I would have been happy, I was that low.

"I didn't know if I was going to leave but a lot of people said I was happy and settled, which I was in a way, but I wasn't comfortable.

"I wasn't comfortable with the way the club was going. I wanted to be challenging for honours.

"By coming here I thought I could be at a club that is challenging for honours. I didn't want to finish my career regretting not taking up this offer."

Before I answer that - are you just being contrary again?

:lol:

I'm not contrary, I'm inquisitive.

I genuinely can't make my mind up on this one. I agree with most of what he says, just think he seems at pains to go on about it and feather his nest.

He knew they were prepared to sell him but he was concerned they might scupper the deal with their demands is how I see it. I.e. his days were numbered and the club is going down the pan but a chance like City might not come along again.

Before I answer that - are you just being contrary again?

:lol:

I'm not contrary, I'm inquisitive.

I genuinely can't make my mind up on this one. I agree with most of what he says, just think he seems at pains to go on about it and feather his nest.

He knew they were prepared to sell him but he was concerned they might scupper the deal with their demands is how I see it. I.e. his days were numbered and the club is going down the pan but a chance like City might not come along again.

Aye, all well and good. But he's going on like he was happy to stay and they forced him out...

"There are a couple of things they could have done to keep me, but I think in the end they just wanted to take the money"

"They made me do things I didn't want to do"

He had his solicitor soliciting interest before the club had received any enquiries or tried to earn a bob off him.

And if it's been such hell for 6 months, why did he say in November...

"Joe's come in and given us belief that we can go out there and get results, he says it how it is and I think the players respect him for that. You don't know what's round the corner, whether managers want to keep you or sell you, but it's nice. I've been here 11-and-a-half years now so I'd like to make a few more appearances, it's a great club and a fantastic place to play football and I'm delighted to have made so many appearances.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7708359.stm

You're joking with the last bit aren't you HF? Kinnear had just arrived and he had improved on Hughton (hard not to do so). Talk about picking holes out of nothing. That's just trying to put a positive spin on a bad situation imo but I'd guess things have gotten worse.

I see where you're coming from re: him trying to imply he was forced out like. I think he'd just had enough but perhaps he did instigate things.

"I felt Newcastle could have dealt with it a little bit better, to be honest,"

"I spent nearly 12 years of my life there, and that's a long time. I want to thank the fans for the support they've given me over the years. They're absolutely phenomenal.

"But this is a new challenge, and a new set of supporters to try and impress.

"I'd been there nearly 12 years, and with the service I'd given the club, I felt the regime could have dealt with it a little better.

"I was disappointed with the way the regime handled it.

"It's a difficult time for Newcastle. They're going through a difficult period, and the fans deserve better. They're extremely loyal supporters up there.

"They want the club to be firing up the league, and I wish them well.

"The Liverpool game was a real kick in the teeth. It was a low point in my career, and a low point for everyone.

"I wasn't very comfortable with the way the club was - I wanted to be challenging for silverware, but I didn't know if I was going to leave the club.

"I'll be forever grateful for what (the fans) have done for me in my career, but I felt the regime were very unhelpful."

I heard the interview, basically what he's whinging about is having to hand in a transfer request and losing his loyalty bonus. Typical self centred footballer wanker

He's saying they're a set of cunts and he reached the end of his tether.

Don't see why any of you have a problem with that given 99.9% of us agree they're a set of cunts.

No matter how much my customers loved me, if I was working for an intolerable twatbag and co, I'd be off if a decent offer came in.

Edited by trophyshy

If Man City have such great players then how come they're doing so shit?

He should stfu. He walked. The end.

Get to fuck! Just because he left doesn't make his views invalid.

Tbf, we should probably see the quotes before commenting of specifics but the overall theme seems clear. I think it's good in a away someone who the fans will respect is prepared to blow the lid on what is going on behind the scenes. We deserve to know.

Spot on that man :lol:

Now training with a different class of players

:lol: we'll get worse yet.

Felt he deserved better following the service he had given

Not so sure about that, it's the 3rd (?) time he's put in a transfer request in a strop (only the other two times were about him not playing not the team quality).

I think he's about used up all his "loyalty", although I don't blame him for wanting to get out - I can't imagine we have a player that actually wants to stay.

Reading what was said and watching the interview, I go back to what I sent to you over PM Alex.

I still reckon this all stems from what happened in late December... BEHIND the scenes.

hope he dident drive to manchester the haydon bridge way...keagan just got banned for doing 36 in a 30 zone...he said his head was in turmoil from leaving newcastle

Im sorry, but what Newcastle fan on this earth doesnt know how to spell keegan

Oh my goodness, Craig knows secret stuffs!!!! :lol:

Hardly secret - I largely divulged what I knew in the thread about him being sold.

If what I've heard is true (and it came from 3 independant sources), Shay was sold rather than him asking to move on...

Nothing has changed since the summer - Ashley's doing what he can to recoup his cash.

If Man City have such great players then how come they're doing so shit?

He should stfu. He walked. The end.

Get to fuck! Just because he left doesn't make his views invalid.

*chomp* :lol:

I only half meant what I said...I don't see what he's saying as anything other than self justification though. He's entitled to do what he likes but I'm not someone who thinks that people walking out on our club is some heroic deed.

Yes there are some pretty major niggles but the fuckers are all getting paid every week and not having to do a hell of a lot of work for it. I bet most of us have bigger problems in our jobs to be honest.

Edited by Asprilla

Oh my goodness, Craig knows secret stuffs!!!! :lol:

Hardly secret - I largely divulged what I knew in the thread about him being sold.

If what I've heard is true (and it came from 3 independant sources), Shay was sold rather than him asking to move on...

Nothing has changed since the summer - Ashley's doing what he can to recoup his cash.

But how can they sack him? He's on a contract? If he'd have really wanted to stay what could they have done?

Who said anything about sacking him?

When a player learns that his club are finding out how much people are willing to pay for his services, then are you not surprised he released the statement he did? (disillusioned with the people running the club etc..)

I wish that more players would do this as it would mean that it would be more open book and there would be checks and balances on the system. If a club knew that potentially ex-players could stir up a shitstorm, then Im sure some of the things wouldnt happen.