Shay - Press Conference

donaldstott

The thing that boiled my piss was that Given was suggesting that we should be grateful that we have "nearly quadrupled" our money, cheers Shay, £5m-6m for arguably one of the best keepers in the Premier League.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that boiled my piss was that Given was suggesting that we should be grateful that we have "nearly quadrupled" our money, cheers Shay, £5m-6m for arguably one of the best keepers in the Premier League.

tbf I think he's trying to find some positives for the NUFC fans in this episode and, the money aside, there is none.

I think his feelings for us as supporters are heartfelt, I don't think he fell out of love with NUFC just the people who bought it.

Admittedly, we should have had more for him but then he's not in control of the transfer fee is he?

tbf I think he's trying to find some positives for the NUFC fans in this episode and, the money aside, there is none.

I think his feelings for us as supporters are heartfelt, I don't think he fell out of love with NUFC just the people who bought it.

Admittedly, we should have had more for him but then he's not in control of the transfer fee is he?

He was clearly getting in a strop that the club hadn't accepted City's bid which led to him throwing a hissy fit and submitting his transfer request, clearly at this stage City hadn't matched the clubs evaluation of him (or ours tbh IE the £12m-£15m that most of us were suggesting) he is trying to justify his fee by comparing it to the fee the club initially paid, £1.5m, this is pathetic, ultimately we've lost a player worth considerably more than the £5m ish that we got, Shay Given may have been a phenomenal player for us, but I think he's a cock.

He was clearly getting in a strop that the club hadn't accepted City's bid which led to him throwing a hissy fit and submitting his transfer request, clearly at this stage City hadn't matched the clubs evaluation of him (or ours tbh IE the £12m-£15m that most of us were suggesting) he is trying to justify his fee by comparing it to the fee the club initially paid, £1.5m, this pathetic, ultimately we've lost a player worth considerably more than the £5m ish that we got, Shay Give may have been a phenomenal player for us, but I think he's a cock.

yeah thats why he's getting in a strop and said "they were happy to take the money it seems and there were things they could have done to make me stay but didn't"

did you even watch that interview on the bbc site? he didn't even use the word quadruple

Where did I say I anything about a BBC interview ? In the quote I heard on the radio Given clearly said "they should be grateful they nearly quadroupled what they paid for me".

Whatever Shay's main motives were, it demonstrates to me how unhappy even former loyal servants are with the club and how low team moral and spirit is - they can do as much go-karting as they want. And that's the worst thing, what you really not need in a relegation battle is players unhappy at the club and therefore not really up for the fight. Geordie boy Taylor can pretend otherwise as much as he wants. I fear we are doomed, as teams with players used to these kind of situations are at least up for it and will show the necessary amount of passion.

Where did I say I anything about a BBC interview ? In the quote I heard on the radio Given clearly said "they should be grateful they nearly quadroupled what they paid for me".

bbc have a video of him sitting taking questions for 10mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7872358.stm

might be better watching that

I know exactly what I heard thanks.

bbc have a video of him sitting taking questions for 10mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7872358.stm

might be better watching that

I know exactly what I heard thanks.

yeah a quick radio snippet and quotes vs a 10minute q&a your well informed Jimbo

hope your telly breaks :lol:

I saw the interview on BBC earlier today, I know what he said in both interviews, I'm refering to a statement made by Shay Given in a radio interview, his comment stands regardless of the length of the interview.

But I'm sure your continued bias will

tbf Jimbo, £12-15m for a 32 year old goalkeeper is cloud-cuckoo land. He was worth more to the fans (in terms of what he could do on the pitch) than the club (financial value).

Where does it suggest he threw a hissy fit at the club about accepting Citeh's offer? All he's said is that the club didn't approach him until January 26th - utter lunacy.

The reason he's gone for £5m is because the club sold him for that value. He was under contract and we could quite easily have said thanks Citeh but no thanks - come back in the summer.... but we didn't did we?

Whatever Shay's main motives were, it demonstrates to me how unhappy even former loyal servants are with the club and how low team moral and spirit is - they can do as much go-karting as they want. And that's the worst thing, what you really not need in a relegation battle is players unhappy at the club and therefore not really up for the fight. Geordie boy Taylor can pretend otherwise as much as he wants. I fear we are doomed, as teams with players used to these kind of situations are at least up for it and will show the necessary amount of passion.

well said that man... :lol:

Who said anything about sacking him?

When a player learns that his club are finding out how much people are willing to pay for his services, then are you not surprised he released the statement he did? (disillusioned with the people running the club etc..)

He can still decide not to go.

When a player learns that his club are finding out how much people are willing to pay for his services, then are you not surprised he released the statement he did? (disillusioned with the people running the club etc..)

Jesus christ, you really like hanging by the threads don't you? :lol:

Keegan could have decided not to go in September but he did!

He was under contract and we could quite easily have said thanks Citeh but no thanks - come back in the summer.... but we didn't did we?

He could have stayed too...he wanted to go.

Look, I'm not arguing that he wasn't fed up, I'm just saying that if he hadn't have wanted to leave, he would have stayed. All I ask is that he doesn't make out that there was nothing he could do about it.

Jesus christ, you really like hanging by the threads don't you? :D

Keegan could have decided not to go in September but he did!

eh?

I have about 25 tabs open on Opera cause I've got zero attention span.... :lol:

Look, we just disagree. The fact that we're pissed off with Mike shouldn't make us all start eating our young and turning on the club itself. Keegan and Given left the CLUB and while they may have their reasons, we're left supporting what's left.

tbf Jimbo, £12-15m for a 32 year old goalkeeper is cloud-cuckoo land. He was worth more to the fans (in terms of what he could do on the pitch) than the club (financial value).

Where does it suggest he threw a hissy fit at the club about accepting Citeh's offer? All he's said is that the club didn't approach him until January 26th - utter lunacy.

The reason he's gone for £5m is because the club sold him for that value. He was under contract and we could quite easily have said thanks Citeh but no thanks - come back in the summer.... but we didn't did we?

If they can pay £15m for a nearly 30 year old Craig Bellamy, I don't see why the figures suggested for Given's value are cloud cuckoo land, after all Keepers mature far later than strikers for example, you could argue that Given at 32 is coming into his prime, just look at the other top keepers in the Premier League, Freidel, James, Van Der Sar all pushing 40 ffs.

Cleary Given got in a strop then the club weren't doing business, just like when he snapped his crayons in 2000 when Sir Bobby had the audacity to play an in form Harper ahead of him, then then slaps in a transfer request which is a statement of intent to leave the club ASAP regardless of whether the club are willing to sell, as it has been stated before, if Given had any regard to the fans he'd have fought relegation with us and left in the summer.

:lol:

"he didn't have to go he could have stayed here with the club happy to sell him for 6m or less, possibly got relegated, kept being unhappy due to the piss poor dealings and general day to day running of the club, which no effort was being made to change"

Of course he wanted to go, who in their right mind wants to stay in that sort of situation

We don't get a choice though do we? :D

He was under contract and we could quite easily have said thanks Citeh but no thanks - come back in the summer.... but we didn't did we?

He could have stayed too...he wanted to go.

Look, I'm not arguing that he wasn't fed up, I'm just saying that if he hadn't have wanted to leave, he would have stayed. All I ask is that he doesn't make out that there was nothing he could do about it.

Depends if he felt valued at the club - he evidently didn't. In his position (and me as a Newcastle fan myself) I'd most probably have done the same thing.

If they can pay £15m for a nearly 30 year old Craig Bellamy, I don't see why the figures suggested for Given's value are cloud cuckoo land, after all Keepers mature far later than strikers for example, you could argue that Given at 32 is coming into his prime, just look at the other top keepers in the Premier League, Freidel, James, Van Der Sar all pushing 40 ffs.

Cleary Given got in a strop then the club weren't doing business, just like when he snapped his crayons in 2000 when Sir Bobby had the audacity to play an in form Harper ahead of him, then then slaps in a transfer request which is a statement of intent to leave the club ASAP regardless of whether the club are willing to sell, as it has been stated before, if Given had any regard to the fans he'd have fought relegation with us and left in the summer.

Right, this one needs breaking down.

Comparing the cost of a striker with that of a goalkeeper is sadly, by large a non-starter. Yes Buffon cost £32.6m but that was back in 2001 when the worldwide economy was thriving and Juve paid through the odds for players.

You're right about the other top keepers in the league but how much did they move on for to their current clubs?

Friedel - £2m

James - 1.2m

Van Der Saar - FREE

On top of that we have the other first choice keepers in the league:

Almunia - FREE

Robinson - £3.5m

Jaaskelainen - £100k

Cech - £7m

Howard - £3m

Schwarzer - FREE

Myhill - £50k

Reina - £6m

Turnbull - FREE

Simonsen - FREE

Gordon - £9m

Gomez - £7.8m

Kiely - FREE

Green - £2m

Kirkland - FREE

IMO you can discount Gordon and Gomez as both Spurs and the Mackems paid way over the top for them - Spurs are now using Cudicini who cost them nowt. Taking them out of it, Given is comparable in cost to Cech & Reina and IMO comparable in terms of ability.

In terms of his true value, I'd probably have put him at £8m - anything higher and I think we'd have been taking the piss.

I don't see what relevance bringing up a transfer request from nine years ago has - we'd all conveniently forgotten about it when it suited us (i.e. when he was saving our skin time and time again).

I don't agree with the comment about having regard for the fans - I don't think he felt valued and as the opportunity to move to a club who were more organised and showing far more ambition presented itself, he rightly snapped their hands off. The club could have insisted he stayed to keep us out of the shit, but they didn't. Like I've intimated before, Ashley was keen to balance up his books (they'll come in handy when he has to disclose the next set of figures :lol:)

FWIW I don't offer Given a pat on the back and hope he wins 'all he deserves' at Citeh - I hope it all blows up spectacularly. He is no longer our player, he's made that choice. But I don't think he's a cock for leaving. I think we need to look closer to SJP for the dickheads I'm afraid (or should that be Lahndan??)

Craig, most your examples were bosmans or were sold within months prior to their contracts running out and cannot be compared to Given's sale, perhaps we should look to other deals for keepers too, how much did Fulham pay for Van Der Sar ? £8m ? how much did Juve pay for Buffon ? £30m ? how much did Barthez cost Man U from Monaco ? £8m ? how much do you think Casillas would cost to buy if he suddenly decided Real Madrid weren't meeting his ambitions ?

At the end of the day, Given was sold for a fraction of his worth, yet evidently he feels we should be grateful that we got as much for him as we did, in my opinion that makes him as much as a fool as the cocks that sold him.

He was clearly getting in a strop that the club hadn't accepted City's bid which led to him throwing a hissy fit and submitting his transfer request, clearly at this stage City hadn't matched the clubs evaluation of him (or ours tbh IE the £12m-£15m that most of us were suggesting) he is trying to justify his fee by comparing it to the fee the club initially paid, £1.5m, this is pathetic, ultimately we've lost a player worth considerably more than the £5m ish that we got, Shay Given may have been a phenomenal player for us, but I think he's a cock.

At a guess the market value of this player is about 10m.

3rd best keeper in the PL after Cech and Reina.

Edited by Park Life

Craig, most your examples were bosmans or were sold within months prior to their contracts running out and cannot be compared to Given's sale, perhaps we should look to other deals for keepers too, how much did Fulham pay for Van Der Sar ? £8m ? how much did Juve pay for Buffon ? £30m ? how much did Barthez cost Man U from Monaco ? £8m ? how much do you think Casillas would cost to buy if he suddenly decided Real Madrid weren't meeting his ambitions ?

At the end of the day, Given was sold for a fraction of his worth, yet evidently he feels we should be grateful that we got as much for him as we did, in my opinion that makes him as much as a fool as the cocks that sold him.

Lets not split hairs but Van Der Sar cost Fulham £5m not 8 and at the time Man U signed Barthez, he was first choice keeper for the reigning World and newly crowned European champions so it isn't surprising they paid £7.8m for his service.

Cech and Reina weren't sold close to contract run-out and both were purchased in a far better economy than we're in at present. Both are on a level par with Given IMO.

I reiterate the point, Given was worth more to the fans in terms of what he did on the pitch than he was to the club in terms of financial value. Parky is right in saying that his true value was probably between £8-£10m but certainly not as high as £12-15m.

I don't know for certain (but then neither do you) but to me, the motive behind his comment about being 'grateful' was more about him trying to find a crumb of comfort for the fans he evidently respects rather than a gloat and telling us to stop whinging.

I suspect that he's held a lot back about what really happened as well.

Reina is shit. Organised defense, and posession controlling midfield in fornt of him, before you start quoting clean sheets. Ordinary as in terms of controlling his box.

What did the club actually gain by selling Given?

Sleepy went for £6m, so that counters what we paid for Nolan & Taylor (give or take)

So why sell him, surely even the 'regime' couldn't have thought that making a quick 6 million would be worth it if it meant increasing our of chances of being relegated?

...I'm wrong aren't I

...they are that fucking stupid.

Edited by JUICE690

Reina is shit. Organised defense, and posession controlling midfield in fornt of him, before you start quoting clean sheets. Ordinary as in terms of controlling his box.

You're kidding me right? Cech aside, there isn't a better keeper in the Premiership to deal with crosses (and I include Van Der Sar in that too).

Awesome shot stopper, never stops conversing with his players and a brave old sod to boot - his double-save in the first half of extra time last was superb.

Reina, Cech and Given are head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

What did the club actually gain by selling Given?

Sleepy went for £6m, so that counters what we paid for Nolan & Taylor (give or take)

So why sell him, surely even the 'regime' couldn't have thought that making a quick 6 million would be worth it if it meant increasing our of chances of being relegated?

...I'm wrong aren't I

...they are that fucking stupid.

They saw 4 goalkeepers at the club, two of which were pushing into their 30s and one of which could make them more money than the other.

They way the see it i'm certain is that we have 1 experienced keeper who everyone raves as being the best 'understudy' goalkeeper in the premiership, two young kids who have shown great potential and £6m in the bank.

BTW - statto time, apparently Steve Harper by a country mile holds the record for sitting on the bench the most times in Premiership history.

Just finished watching the Given interview on the BBC. I haven't been able to see too many in depth interviews (longer than 45 seconds) with Given but does he always do that long inhale/noise??? If I was only listening to that I would have thought he was smoking a hukkah...